+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling overseas as Asylum seeker

waterfall97

Jan 29, 2020
Hi guys

I applied for refugee claims in Mid-December 2019. The date of this post is 29-Jan 2020.

I received emails regarding my work/student permit to be delivered in the next 6 weeks. I'm very grateful for that

My question is, am I able to travel overseas (Asian countries)?
if yes, how do i travel?
if not, when can i start to travel?

NOTE:
- my refugee decision has not been made
- im yet to receive my hearing date
- im not travelling to the country im seeking protection from
- i had the visa for that country in my passport at the time of my refuge claim application

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys

I applied for refugee claims in Mid-December 2019. The date of this post is 29-Jan 2020.

I received emails regarding my work/student permit to be delivered in the next 6 weeks. I'm very grateful for that

if yes, how do i travel?

NOTE:
- i had the visa for that country in my passport at the time of my refuge claim application
It's advised NOT to use the passport of the country you're seeking protection from, since you are seeking protection from persecution from country , correct ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys

if yes, how do i travel?

NOTE:
I don't believe you can travel outside of Canada at all until your refugee claim has been accepted and you have an RTD.

As said above, you cannot use your passport. So there's no document you can use to travel.

Reactions: zee90999

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I would assume CBSA has your passport, so travel at this time would be difficult. Asking for your passport to be returned and travelling outside of Canada would likely lead to a determination you abandoned your claim. Returning to Canada would be next to impossible (assuming you travelled on a TRV). If you came through the US you should assume that visa has been cancelled.

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
I would assume CBSA has your passport, so travel at this time would be difficult. Asking for your passport to be returned and travelling outside of Canada would likely lead to a determination you abandoned your claim. Returning to Canada would be next to impossible (assuming you travelled on a TRV). If you came through the US you should assume that visa has been cancelled.
Why do you say that if he traveled through the USA, the visa has been canceled? Are you talking about Canadian or US visa? and why the visa is canceled for travel through the US, wouldn't be the same from another country?

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Why do you say that if he traveled through the USA, the visa has been canceled? Are you talking about Canadian or US visa? and why the visa is canceled for travel through the US, wouldn't be the same from another country?
Because the US immigration would believe that action (by crossing US/Canada border and claim asylum in Canada) is abusing their VISA policy.