+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timeline Ottawa

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
us2yow said:
mikeathome,

what did you mean in your post by - 150 km ride ? That was confusing.... Thanks for clarification.
Actually I am way off, it is 230km from the place I live to Ottawa where it is 150km to Toronto.
Two other colleagues of mine will be driving to Ottawa as well.

Mike

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
Any update for those who took the citizenship exam in 2013 at Ottawa.

Here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 14, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 14, 2011. 4

We started processing your application on March 5, 2012.

We sent you a notice to appear and write the citizenship test on January 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM.

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
I did the test on January 15 2013 in Ottawa, I have not gotten an oath letter, but I called the call center earlier this week an they said my file has been finalized an that I'm in a que waiting for a cermony that they can fit me into so hopefully I will receive my notice soon.

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
After the looong waiting period, that's a good news to hear! Let us hope for the best and expect the citizenship oath letter soon in our mailbox.

Leonina

Apr 3, 2008
Hi,

This is our timeline in Ottawa so far:

Application received on December 12, 2011
Receipt of application letter and Discover Canada guide sent on December 12, 2011
Started processing the application on November 17, 2012.

Once they start processing the application, how long does it take till we are being called for the exam? How long did it take for the rest of you in Ottawa?

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Based on talks with 2 other people in Ottawa an my experience it takes 9 months after they start processing before they call you for the test.
My timeline is:
Sent application may 5 2011
Received application may 11 2011
Started processing application march 5 2012
Sent letter on December 13 2012 to take test on January 15 2013
Now I'm waiting on oath letter hopefully I will get it soon.

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
Leonina said:
Hi,

This is our timeline in Ottawa so far:

Application received on December 12, 2011
Receipt of application letter and Discover Canada guide sent on December 12, 2011
Started processing the application on November 17, 2012.

Once they start processing the application, how long does it take till we are being called for the exam? How long did it take for the rest of you in Ottawa?
Call the CIC call center to check whether the file was transferred to Ottawa from Sydney. My wife's file went into process on Nov 29, 2012 and the file wasn't transferred yet.

From the transfer, it can take 3-9 months for test. In my case, it took 9 months.

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
I got the letter for citizenship Oath on Mar 14 and I waited for this event for 24 months!

My online ecas wasn't updated about this new info, till now.

Coolbreeze, you should have got it as well

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Congrats mvb !

So I guess you did not receive the RQ and it was a straight-forward process for you ?

If you did not get RQ, is it because you hold a local Canadian job and have not left Canada much or travelled very little during the last 4 + years of your citizenship period ?

Thanks for your response....

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
us2yow said:
Congrats mvb !
So I guess you did not receive the RQ and it was a straight-forward process for you ?
If you did not get RQ, is it because you hold a local Canadian job and have not left Canada much or travelled very little during the last 4 + years of your citizenship period ?
Thanks for your response....
Thanks us2yow. I feel lucky that I wasn't slapped with RQ, however it took 2 years!

I worked throughout the four year period without any break, but I was in parental leave for the past six months, which I explained to the CO at the time of interview.

When I became PR, I was in a different city and then I moved to Ottawa due to change in job and filed my cit application.

I was allowed to take four weeks vacation/year, which I religiously availed it to go my home country and also, I went to US couple of times, during long weekends, apart from 4/5 one-day trips to US border towns.

Best of luck for your application.

P.S. I had an valid B1/B2 US visa stamped to my ppt till 2016.

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Hey congrats mvb on getting your letter I just saw yor post so I did not get to check my mailbox today but I checked it yesterday an nothing was there so I will be checking it again first think tommrow to see if I got letter too, my ecas still shows in process.

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Hey mvb I just went outside an check my mailbox an there it was I got the oath letter it will be on march 14 same day as you wooo!!! Wooooo!!!! ;D

rafkik

Feb 16, 2013
Hi, we put in a family application in August 2011 had our "interview" and son did test on January 31st 2013, got a letter this week to go for oath ceremony on March 14th 2013, we were told at test/interview we would be called in 1 -3 months