+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timeline Ottawa

clahanl

Jan 8, 2013
After 21 months I finally received my notice to appear. I write my test Feb 13 in Ottawa. It seems as though I have a hearing with a judge also - says I need to bring current and expired passports etc. Is this normal? Is it likely that there may be a problem? How soon after writing the test can I attend a ceremony?

Here's my timeline:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 14, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 14, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on November 23, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the Ottawa office on December 20, 2011. The Ottawa office will contact you if additional information is required. The Ottawa office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on January 2, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

roxy2001

Dec 3, 2012
clahanl said:
After 21 months I finally received my notice to appear. I write my test Feb 13 in Ottawa. It seems as though I have a hearing with a judge also - says I need to bring current and expired passports etc. Is this normal? Is it likely that there may be a problem? How soon after writing the test can I attend a ceremony?

Here's my timeline:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 14, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 14, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Your file was transferred to the Ottawa office on December 20, 2011. The Ottawa office will contact you if additional information is required. The Ottawa office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on January 2, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Hi, it looks like you got your standard notice to appear for your citizenship test. Either before or after the test, a citizenship officer (not a citizenship judge) will review the originals of all the documents you included with your application, as well as all your passports (expired and current). This doesn't necessarily mean there are any problems, it's standard procedure at the time of the test.

As for waiting times, once you pass the test/meet all requirements, this depends entirely on your local office's processing times and whatever backlog they may be in. Hope this helps.

anandoc

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats clahanl. I registered with this forum just to say that I too got my notice for the test today in mail. I have my test in Ottawa on February 13th as well. I too seemed to have received the exact same communication as you (photocopies of passports for judge etc). Goodluck!

clahanl said:

Here's my timeline:

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
i also got my notice to do the test in Ottawa but I do mine on January 15 2013: I hope I don't have to wait as long for the oth as it took to get to this stage

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi Coolbreeze,
How was your test ?? did you get any information,when you ll be getting ur citizenship card ?? you had a family applicatin or it was individual ?? No test yet for me :(

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi Coolbreeze,

test date was visible online first or reached you by post first ?? I mean i ll be able to know through my application status online that I am getting a test date or I ll receive the letter first and then it ll be seen on my application status online ????

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Hi Moti the test was a bit challenging but it was good I'm quite confident I passed it. My application was single. They told us that those who pass the test should receive a letter in the mail to take the oath within 1-3 months. For me I got the letter in the mail to take the test because I had not check my status online for awhile because I got so tired of used to checking it an see in process so did not check for about a month but after I got the letter I checked the website an it showed that a letter was sent to me so I don't know if it was updated the same time they sent the letter or after the letter was sent. How long now sine you have applied?, it took me 20 months after submitting my app for me to do the test so it's been a long wait. 8)

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Status stays unchanged: processing...
I checked details yesterday and voila the letter was send Jan 8 to take the test on March 1. A friend, who applied with me, got his letter yesterday which was send out Jan 2 to take test Feb 19. All in Ottawa, 150 km ride for us. So, as said earlier, online status changes first and it takes about 2-3 weeks snail mail to get the letter delivered. Overall processing time will be almost 22 months till test date.

Mike

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi coolbreeze,

thanks for your update. Its been 20 months since i have applied . no test date yet. :(

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
mikeathome,

what did you mean in your post by - 150 km ride ? That was confusing.... Thanks for clarification.

coolbreeze30

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
You should be getting notice anytime now Moti, keep me posted when u get it, I will also let u know when I get oath letter