+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The main purpose of Canadian citizenship is just to move to US?

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
About the U.S., some days I feel like Michael Corelone (Godfather III):

"Just when I thought I was out . . . they pull me back in."

Fortunately this is mostly about FBAR and the IRS, just paperwork. While the border is less than an hour away (though nearest small town with restaurants and such, in the U.S., is two hours away, and nearest city is three hours), that is one S* hole country I prefer to avoid as much as I can. Lots and lots of reasons. How much I am happy to be Canadian and living in Canada at the top of the list. Nixon-Reagan-Bush-Trump legacy (meaning the millions and millions supporting them and of an all too like mind, as much as them themselves), however, also near the top of the list.

Edit-to-add: For what it is worth, I was hammered with commands to love-it-or-leave-it more than a half-century ago, before Nixon ascended to the highest office (but after Nixon was the muscle on the Congressional side of Senator Joe McCarthy's reign of terror, when I was very young and Truman was the U.S. President . . . Nixon played a prominent role in the HUAC, which for some reason is rarely referenced by historians; while most people tend to associate McCarthy with the HUAC and the black list it fueled, whereas in fact McCarthy, as a Senator, was not even a member of the House Un-American Activities Committee). For nearly two decades I believed in love-it-or-change-it. Yeah, I can be a bit on the slow side. Even after I began to formulate an escape plan, it took me nearly two more decades to actually accomplish it. No looking back.
So dpenabill is an American-Canadian. Pretty cool to know!!
Thank you for all your posts that were super helpful! We are so glad to have you here!!

(Btw, out of curiosity, what do people mean when they refer to the "dpenabill virus"? I can only assume it is said in a loving and nice way and I am trying to learn the jargon of the forum here, haha)

Reactions: quasar81

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The reason why *some* newly minted Canadians may desire to leverage their new status to help them get a job in the USA is because Canada is worse than the US in recognizing advanced degrees from foreign universities and foreign work experience. I know more than a few people who move to the US simply because the job opportunities are better. Canada really makes you jump through hoops to get your foreign degree/license recognized and Canadian employers are really old fashioned in regards to discriminating against applicants without "Canadian" experience. How much discrimination varies depending on where you are from, though if you are from the anglo world (US, UK, Australia, etc), the impact is minimal vs non-anglo/non-european. US employers are much more willing to integrate foreign trained workers than Canada. The people I know who struggled to find good employment in their expertise up here found good jobs very quickly in the US and are thriving.

Last edited:

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
The reason why *some* newly minted Canadians may desire to leverage their new status to help them get a job in the USA is because Canada is worse than the US in recognizing advanced degrees from foreign universities and foreign work experience. I know more than a few people who move to the US simply because the job opportunities are better. Canada really makes you jump through hoops to get your foreign degree/license recognized and Canadian employers are really old fashioned in regards to discriminating against applicants without "Canadian" experience. How much discrimination varies depending on where you are from, though if you are from the anglo world (US, UK, Australia, etc), the impact is minimal vs non-anglo/european. US employers are much more willing to integrate foreign trained workers than Canada. The people I know who struggled to find good employment in their expertise up here found good jobs very quickly in the US and are thriving.

These argument had been presented and none really wanted to accept the fault is Canada’s.

I knew several highly skilled and experienced chemical engineers who are more knowledgeable than me that earns chump change because I was lucky and persistent into getting my credentials recognized and licensed.

It is rationale those people who haves will choose money than struggle in a country that thinks their system is better than the rest of the planet. Like I said before, addition of 1+1=2 in the rest of the world are the same 1+1=2 in canada.
I dunno if the mentality in this country is protectionism or ludicrous. We all be the judge.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
The reason why *some* newly minted Canadians may desire to leverage their new status to help them get a job in the USA is because Canada is worse than the US in recognizing advanced degrees from foreign universities and foreign work experience. I know more than a few people who move to the US simply because the job opportunities are better. Canada really makes you jump through hoops to get your foreign degree/license recognized and Canadian employers are really old fashioned in regards to discriminating against applicants without "Canadian" experience. How much discrimination varies depending on where you are from, though if you are from the anglo world (US, UK, Australia, etc), the impact is minimal vs non-anglo/non-european. US employers are much more willing to integrate foreign trained workers than Canada. The people I know who struggled to find good employment in their expertise up here found good jobs very quickly in the US and are thriving.
The "Canadian experience" requirement is a slap in the face of smart/educated people. It is prejudicial in nature and the main reason why they move to the US after gaining citizenship. The sold Canada to professionals in many parts of the world as the place to be, but once they arrive here armed with their Masters degrees, PhDs, hard and soft skills with several years of experience, they are simply pushed into into entry level (if they are lucky) positions. Why would such people stay and bury their heads in the sand (snow)? And yet, the same people go south and are received with open arms and placed in the better positions and if ambitious, they are free to climb the ladder. The Canadian HR model and line managers are risk-averse, prejudicial and fearful of new comers, while the US is the complete opposite (they love new talents). People do what they think it's best for them.

Reactions: deerestlovelybear

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Wow, didn't know that....
Only if you're what is termed a "covered expatriate":

Applies to individuals who relinquish their US citizenship or long term U.S. residency after June 16, 2008 and who either: 1) have an average annual income tax liability of more than $155,000 for the five years preceding expatriation; 2) have a net worth equal to or greater than $2,000,000 on the date of expatriation or termination of permanent residency; or 3) have failed to provide certified compliance with U.S. tax obligations for the five years prior to expatriation.
Probably doesn't apply to most expatriates. I know I don't fall under that definition. Still will cost me $2350 US though. :mad:

Reactions: aaamr

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
So (and I can't resist the temptation....sorry), if one is a Canadian by birth, what does it make them if they choose to work in the US? Does that make them a Canadian of convenience as well? Or do they get a "pass", because they were born here? I personally choose not to have a home in Canada (the prices are ludicrous), does that mean I haven't contributed or have done my share? Does that mean new Canadians citizens will look down on me as I don't meet their personal requirements for being Canadian or I am shirking my duties as a Canadian?
Canadian by birth can be "Canadian of Convenience" as well if they leave Canada after graduation since they too will not contribute to Canada as well and only come back when needed (medical). They do not get a pass either. They just don't get the bad rap as immigrants leaving Canada after obtaining citizenship after spending little time as possible. The only reason "Canadian by Birth" don't get the rap is that they have lived in Canada at least 18-19 years of their life in Canada in comparison to an immigrant living in Canada 3 years before leaving Canada.

Reactions: quasar81

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Canadian by birth can be "Canadian of Convenience" as well if they leave Canada after graduation since they too will not contribute to Canada as well and only come back when needed (medical). They do not get a pass either. They just don't get the bad rap as immigrants leaving Canada after obtaining citizenship after spending little time as possible. The only reason "Canadian by Birth" don't get the rap is that they have lived in Canada at least 18-19 years of their life in Canada in comparison to an immigrant living in Canada 3 years before leaving Canada.
And why is that? during those 18-19 years they soaked in the benefits and made no contribution, except for probably the girls scout cookies some of them sold ... while those immigrants at least have paid 4+years of taxes.

Again, if anyone wants to be a Canadian of convenience, native born or immigrant, why is it any of your business and why would anyone of them care what YOU think they get a pass or not?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
And why is that? during those 18-19 years they soaked in the benefits and made no contribution, except for probably the girls scout cookies some of them sold ... while those immigrants at least have paid 4+years of taxes.

Again, if anyone wants to be a Canadian of convenience, native born or immigrant, why is it any of your business and why would anyone of them care what YOU think they get a pass or not?
You seem to think paying taxes give you entitlement to citizenship. That is where you are wrong. Your sense of entitlement is showing.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You seem to think paying taxes give you entitlement to citizenship. That is where you are wrong. Your sense of entitlement is showing.
Where did I say paying tax gave entitlement of citizenship? your sense of reading disorder is showing, not only that, your sense of entitlement of judging people has been showing for some time - speaking of which, what makes you feel entitled to judge other people's life choices? What contribution you have made to the society that other people (who you are eagerly judging) haven't? Did you invent internet or save the humanity from some wars?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua1

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Yup, you are the one who decides what people do with their lives. Pfft!
Careful, maybe he's that famous superhero known as 'Keyboard Man' who can hunt you down with his superpower of passing ridiculous judgement on imaginary moral high ground, and whoever gets judged by him will be in depression and misery for years to come LOL -- like anybody would care what he thinks...

Last edited:

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Where did I say paying tax gave entitlement of citizenship? your sense of reading disorder is showing, not only that, your sense of entitlement of judging people has been showing for some time
My apology for saying your sense of entitlement. I meant to say, you seems to think any immigrants paying taxes should be entitled to citizenship since you brought up "immigrants paying 4+ years of taxes".

Why is the term "Canadian of convenience" seems to rub every one the wrong way. Is it too politically incorrect to say it? It's no difference from birth tourism. They both real and exists.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
My apology for saying your sense of entitlement. I meant to say, you seems to think any immigrants paying taxes should be entitled to citizenship since you brought up "immigrants paying 4+ years of taxes".

Why is the term "Canadian of convenience" seems to rub every one the wrong way. Is it too politically incorrect to say it? It's no difference from birth tourism. They both real and exists.
Again, where did I even imply that "immigrants paying 4+ years of taxes" entitled people for citizenship? You were mentioning 'making contributions' during your judgement speech, that's just the example of 'making contribution' I was listing, comparing the native born (who made none) and immigrants (who paid at lest 4+years) in terms of 'contribution'. If you were unable to see that, I just have to say, lay off on the judging a bit and read the context more.

What's wrong with the term 'Canadian of convenience'? That's a good question you should ask yourself, since you were the one who brought it up again and again while other people don't even care, so naturally you are the best person to answer that

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Again, where did I even imply that "immigrants paying 4+ years of taxes" entitled people for citizenship? You were mentioning 'making contributions' during your judgement speech, that's just the example of 'making contribution' I was listing, comparing the native born (who made none) and immigrants (who paid at lest 4+years) in terms of 'contribution'. If you were unable to see that, I just have to say, lay off on the judging a bit and read the context more.

What's wrong with the term 'Canadian of convenience'? That's a good question you should ask yourself, since you were the one who brought it up again and again while other people don't even care, so naturally you are the best person to answer that
Other don't care because they are naturally selfish and only interested in getting citizenship themselves nothing more. They usually don't have any consideration for what's long term best interest for Canada. The new citizenship law has made Canada one of the easiest for those who want to obtain 2nd citizenship the quickest. Personally, if Canada citizenship took longer than most European country citizenship requirement, these same people would not look to Canada for citizenship, they would look for the next easiest country to obtain citizenship.