+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The main purpose of Canadian citizenship is just to move to US?

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
May I add to @itsmyid acquantances who chose getting treatment abroad rather than in “Our Free Healthcare Society”, and defunct the example myth provided by screech on Alberta.

Same goes in this province, we residents have to wait 3 years to go under the table for a tubirnates removal/ repair. 8 months to see an EENT doctor. 12 months for the expert opinion of a spinal surgeon. At least 6 months to meet an endocrinologist. These are aside from the countless negligence and malpractice going inside our provincial healthcare system.

I can go on and on. So these is why locals WITH MONEY goes to the US or Asia to get treatment the next day.

I guess @screech339 is an absentee expert on canadian of convenience. All these assumptions happens to be in his head.

Officer Green

Nov 10, 2017
I guess you never really know how expensive cancer treatment, for example, can be since you will never see the medical bill. While the number of cases are low, the cost of such treatment is still high enough to make an impact on overall cost. If medical cost in US can cost someone's mortgage, I can only imagine that it can have an overall impact on medical cost in Canada.

You talk about how Canada need immigrants to support the social net in Canada. What's the point of bringing over immigrants if they are only staying long enough to obtain citizenship and leave. Their action won't help Canada in the first place.

I wanted to add here something.

The numbers of cancer cases are on rise in Canada (not low as you think). You may get surprised to know that almost 1 in every 2 Canadian will be diagnosed with cancer, according to Cancer Society of Canada.

I doubt that people without having any family back in Canada may move here after being diagnosed with cancer only for the treatment from where they are already settled. There is not a one shot vaccine for cancer, but a long and complicated process where the patient needs someone taking care during that long process. A lot of emotional aspects are also associated, including family or friends back home among others. That means just buying a one way ticket is not the case but several factors are to be considered. It’s needless to say that countries like India are already capable of treating many diseases at reasonable costs. Cost of chemotherapy is more affordable in India and other third world countries than in Canada, but you may argue about the standard of the care in cheaper hospitals there. But people have recovered there as well, and not everyone in Canada or even in the US gets the level of the treatment provided by MD Anderson, Texas or Memorial Sloan, New York or Princess Margaret, Toronto. As @ZingyDNA said, it’s worthless to discuss about the topic without any statistics.

If you ask my opinion, I don’t mind few hundred unfortunate people coming back to Canada looking for cancer treatment, I will be happy that my tax money is used in humanitarian causes. Don’t forget the money paid by the healthcare system remains inside the country, and every patient treated is a case study which helps to determine the direction and treatment plan of the disease in future cases as well as to develop the therapeutics. As myself being familiar with the research related to such diseases, I know that every patient treated contributes to discovery of the new medicine and development of effective therapeutic strategy in the future. There are other unfortunate cases where Canadian residents (with properties and job in Canada) happen to have an accident or heart attacks while being outside Canada and end up being treated there out of pocket, let alone a non-resident planning to come here for the treatment in a similar situation.

Of course everyone agrees Canada needs more immigrants not only to contribute to the social system but to make real estate giants, retailers, communication giants and so on more richer. And governments (present or past) know how important the mobility of a worker is, thats why they agreed for the provision of TN visa in NAFTA agreement!

Last edited:
Reactions: itsmyid

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you that serious?

You know only a few retires with half a million dollars on pocket right? Mostly those who had college(university) degrees if they where wise.

Since your too extravagantly pro canadian retiree, are you gonna give each of us or them the 200K dollars to use for purchase of that condo of yours in Winnipeg or Thunder Bay?
Question I should have asked, do you have that amount of money at hand when you retire, or people still need to loan it?

I’m only being realistic here friend.
No, I don't know any retirees with half a million on their pocket. Do you count on me to give 200k to use for condo purchase? You are not realistic. Think high and hope one day to be Defence minister of Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were missing at least 2 things:
1. retirees can't just live in any condos that cost less than 200K, they need to live in locations where grocery shopping and medical care are within reasonable distance, that usually will lead to higher price of condo and other living expenses
2. don't forget about the management fee of condos, especially older and cheaper condos usually have higher management fees that add up quickly
Can't they go online shopping? And Thunder Bay is pretty small, hospitals are within reasonable distance to condos that are less than 200k. I'm aware of maintenance fee which includes snow removal if you don't know.

Officer Green

Nov 10, 2017
Can't they go online shopping? And Thunder Bay is pretty small, hospitals are within reasonable distance to condos that are less than 200k. I'm aware of maintenance fee which includes snow removal if you don't know.
One option for anyone could be to move to small places as Thunder Bay or east coast towns as you said. They are pretty beautiful, green and peaceful, and don't forget the nice roads. I used to think that way too and was interested to do that for my retirement. But after I traveled to such areas or drove even 2 hours away from the city core, I realized it is not easy to act the way we hypothesize. One can survive with less than 1200 dollar a month in shared homes or small homes in small towns away from big cities. However, I don’t know whether it should be called a retirement or act of surviving for the rest of the life waiting the end in a place you were never exposed to before (as a human beings we have an attachment to the places and communities where we work and live). Happiness and emotional aspects also should be considered as parts of retirement plans, not only the restaurants, grocery stores and hospitals. My feeling: a place where you worked and devoted your active life should be affordable when you retire so that you can enjoy your retirement looking to the horizon of the city you contributed in your way to develop, with a smile in your face.
Ah, what a dream!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You do know online shopping does NOT get you everything AND would take a few days, and usually much more expensive, especially for retirees who are on fixed income that doesn’t keep up with the inflation, right ?

Last edited:

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
No, I don't know any retirees with half a million on their pocket. Do you count on me to give 200k to use for condo purchase? You are not realistic. Think high and hope one day to be Defence minister of Canada.

Did you even bother reading what I wrote, or you just went on and commenced robot mode?

Defense Minister?

What are you talking about?

My field are oil and gas, I’d rather be COO on exploration and production than the defense department. Why do you think my expertise is needed abroad? I’m broadening my horizon buddy!

Yeah right, like all retirees now are astute scribbling on their laptops.

Okay, I’ll see it your way. Maybe this is about retirees in the future. Let say grandpa is or was an IT professional. But, as we grow older, our anatomy deteriorates. All organs withers.

Now back to ordering online. Do you think grandpa IT genius will have a breeze every time he orders off amazon or whichever site you fond? Plus their memory, that precious part of ourselves. “Hoohaa I finished ordering online and who’s that on the door, did I brought anything from you young lad?”.

What if grandpa computer savvy have a hard time seeing the screen, like 99.99% of senior citizens do.
“Oh! I cannot see what I’m trying to purchase, I should call my son so he get me my stuff pronto!”. Like no adult child is busy living their lives.

These are a very good exchange of perspective, carry on...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you even bother reading what I wrote, or you just went on and commenced robot mode?

Defense Minister?

What are you talking about?

My field are oil and gas, I’d rather be COO on exploration and production than the defense department. Why do you think my expertise is needed abroad? I’m broadening my horizon buddy!

Yeah right, like all retirees now are astute scribbling on their laptops.

Okay, I’ll see it your way. Maybe this is about retirees in the future. Let say grandpa is or was an IT professional. But, as we grow older, our anatomy deteriorates. All organs withers.

Now back to ordering online. Do you think grandpa IT genius will have a breeze every time he orders off amazon or whichever site you fond? Plus their memory, that precious part of ourselves. “Hoohaa I finished ordering online and who’s that on the door, did I brought anything from you young lad?”.

What if grandpa computer savvy have a hard time seeing the screen, like 99.99% of senior citizens do.
“Oh! I cannot see what I’m trying to purchase, I should call my son so he get me my stuff pronto!”. Like no adult child is busy living their lives.

These are a very good exchange of perspective, carry on...
You are outdated. These days, more people use their smartphones or tablets than using laptops. They don't necessary have to type. With tablets, they can use fingers to magnify and view it bigger. If you search the forum, many posters of oil & gas background have overseas experience. You have no idea what you talk about.

Btw, wasn't the US Secretary of State has a oil and gas background?

Last edited:

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
You are outdated. These days, more people use their smartphones or tablets than using laptops. They don't necessary have to type. With tablets, they can use fingers to magnify and view it bigger. If you search the forum, many posters of oil & gas background have overseas experience. You have no idea what you talk about.
And you know me better than anyone I guess...

Smart phones yeah ;)
And magnify it, says mr. Know Jamie than I does myself...

I’m not gonna argue with you friend. We both know, and probably many tuned to this thread, thèse exchanges are futile.

Carry on amigo...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And you know me better than anyone I guess...

Smart phones yeah ;)
And magnify it, says mr. Know Jamie than I does myself...

I’m not gonna argue with you friend. We both know, and probably many tuned to this thread, thèse exchanges are futile.

Carry on amigo...
That's right. Think big and be the Canadian equivalent of Mr. Rex!