+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The main purpose of Canadian citizenship is just to move to US?

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
There seem to be too many people asking the question about “can I go to work in US while my application for citizenship is pending” or “can I just leave immediately after taking the oath”... Come on guys, don’t treat Canada as a stepping stone to the US, if you do not like it here do not apply for citizenship and grass is always greener on the other side so never think your life will be better in US after become Canadians!

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
To me, Canada is the end goal, to get OUT of the US. As soon as I get the oath, I'm going to get a renunciation appointment at a US embassy. :p

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
To me, Canada is the end goal, to get OUT of the US. As soon as I get the oath, I'm going to get a renunciation appointment at a US embassy. :p
Just out of personal curiosity and it is totally fine if you don't feel comfortable answering but why do you want to renounce your U.S. citizenship?

Does the U.S. citizenship dictate certain taxation (aka.global tax) on its citizens even if you don't live in the country? Or is it out of pure personal considerations?

Coming from someone who has been considering applying for a green card after Canadian Citizenship (due to spousal relations) but knows relatively little about it.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
The US has global taxation for citizens yeah. Have to file every year and it’s a pain. Also have to give them every bank account we have and our retirement account info etc.

Still worth it to me to know I could go live with my folks if need be and take care of family. Also get to vote still for federal offices, which is nice because they still affect you abroad.

Reactions: saqibzamir

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Every friend of mine (or friends of friends) who came here from the US - moved back to the US the moment they got their Canadian citizenship. And that's quite a huge number. Most of them were on this forum as well (CanadaVisa) or on Trackitt.

However, imo it is not only wrong - but also a bad decision. B'coz Canada is a better country to raise your children. There are many things here which are way better than the US, especially concerning a family unit. Btw, most of those friends were either bachelors or newly married / without kids.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
About the U.S., some days I feel like Michael Corelone (Godfather III):

"Just when I thought I was out . . . they pull me back in."

Fortunately this is mostly about FBAR and the IRS, just paperwork. While the border is less than an hour away (though nearest small town with restaurants and such, in the U.S., is two hours away, and nearest city is three hours), that is one S* hole country I prefer to avoid as much as I can. Lots and lots of reasons. How much I am happy to be Canadian and living in Canada at the top of the list. Nixon-Reagan-Bush-Trump legacy (meaning the millions and millions supporting them and of an all too like mind, as much as them themselves), however, also near the top of the list.

Edit-to-add: For what it is worth, I was hammered with commands to love-it-or-leave-it more than a half-century ago, before Nixon ascended to the highest office (but after Nixon was the muscle on the Congressional side of Senator Joe McCarthy's reign of terror, when I was very young and Truman was the U.S. President . . . Nixon played a prominent role in the HUAC, which for some reason is rarely referenced by historians; while most people tend to associate McCarthy with the HUAC and the black list it fueled, whereas in fact McCarthy, as a Senator, was not even a member of the House Un-American Activities Committee). For nearly two decades I believed in love-it-or-change-it. Yeah, I can be a bit on the slow side. Even after I began to formulate an escape plan, it took me nearly two more decades to actually accomplish it. No looking back.

Last edited:

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
I guess JT is better?
Lol

Paying terrorists for being in jail $50 million of our tax dollars. If this is the case, career terrorism is paying off. I’d rather do that and maybe I’ll be the best in it, now that I know I’ll earn 50 million bucks after a few years. Fcuk that sh!t!

US has no free healthcare. Paid for by your insurance coverage. Medicines are a fortune to buy. But heck, everything else are cheap.

Canada has free healthcare. But paid for by our tax dollars and we here in Alberta with our oil revenues pays you east coasters lavish social spendings. Heck, none of you there can afford those social assistance without bleeding all the provinces and territories dry off their natural resources incomes. This oil money should go to my kids and grandkids social expenses. Not the pan handling eastern population, nor any province or territories who cannot afford to pay their own social assistance. Freaking insane!
This is why I’m not buying farm lands to prospect oil or other minerals. Because government owns it.

Everything else in canada are freaking astronomical. Except if you pay for out of pocket prescription drug. Now they are cheap.

Now you wanna know why I wanna leave even though I’m set here?

Reactions: itsmyid

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a few friends who have done this. Be prepared to pay several thousand and have it take a few years. They don't make it easy.

aaamr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
It costs real money to renounce your US citizenship. They tax you on your net worth on the way out the door. For most of us, it's not worth it.

-A.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
I will choose Canada every day. Plenty of American friends and family that I care for dearly... But:

- Their gun laws are the worst in the world. The rationale that I have the right to bear guns because everyone else does for me is a precursor for problems. The latest shooting and the regular ones ALONE will never ever have me go and live there. Their shooting stats are way above any civilized country.

- 330+ million people and you could only get this... Gentleman... as a president? Really???

- I live in QC, we pay the highest taxes in Canada AND in North America. Yes we do. Every time I check my payslip, I curse. But you know what? I'll take it EVERY day, and the snow, and the roads for a warm, welcoming, civilized and peaceful society... But that's my choice and my priorities.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Every friend of mine (or friends of friends) who came here from the US - moved back to the US the moment they got their Canadian citizenship. And that's quite a huge number. Most of them were on this forum as well (CanadaVisa) or on Trackitt.

However, imo it is not only wrong - but also a bad decision. B'coz Canada is a better country to raise your children. There are many things here which are way better than the US, especially concerning a family unit. Btw, most of those friends were either bachelors or newly married / without kids.
Yeah it's less stressful to work in Canada though the pay is also lower, considering the buying power with our currency. The US is better for those who are more mobile (single or no children), more ambitious and capable/desire to climb the corporate ladder. If you think the stress is worth the pay and achievement, the US is better for you as there's no free lunch there. If you're content with what you have and settled down to raise a family, Canada is better. I just wish the weather was a little better, though. ><

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Yeah it's less stressful to work in Canada though the pay is also lower, considering the buying power with our currency. The US is better for those who are more mobile (single or no children), more ambitious and capable/desire to climb the corporate ladder. If you think the stress is worth the pay and achievement, the US is better for you as there's no free lunch there. If you're content with what you have and settled down to raise a family, Canada is better. I just wish the weather was a little better, though. ><
Canada ~ one of the best places to RETIRE :)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
We live in a new globalized cosmopolitan capitalist system now. National citizenship is more and more becoming obsolete--at least for the winners of the neoliberal economy. "Collecting citizenships" for the purposes of professional, tech and consultant labor mobility purposes is already fairly common. Those at the bottom of the ladder, when they are lucky enough to pull off a successful migration, are often not so well situated and many live in a state of second class personhood precisely because they lack the national citizenship--or even lawful presence itself (USA)--in the state in which they labor. Its a brave new world of inequalities on multiple levels.

Last edited:

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
People are free to do whatever they want. If they want to use Canada as a stepping stone, that’s their choice. One of the questions on the citizenship test is about Citizenship Rights and responsibilities, according to the Charter the most important of these include:
  • Mobility Rights — Canadians can live and work anywhere they choose in Canada, enter and leave the country freely, and apply for a passport.
This is exactly why C24 got repealed. While those native citizens could enjoy the above rights, the naturalized one had to legally declare that they intend to reside in Canada (no better than a PR status).

Many people migrated to the US, got their citizenship and moved to a different country. So what? If you have been paying attention, you would realize that citizenship loyalty is a thing of the past. e.g. the E.U. People look out for better opportunities based on their personal goals and aspirations. Some think Canada is better, others think the US is. That's their choice!

Imsaurav

Star Member
Oct 8, 2017
Not everyone can go to USA just because you are Canadian. You need to have advanced degree and US company needs to recruit you based on TN visa only after that you can move to USA. Yes Canada is better, safe and less racism, no doubt about it but it has a very low job security and less opportunity for the tech people. I know a significant number of engineers of Alberta oil and gas industry are moving to USA as for then 1 year they are job less or underemployed. If you get a higher paid job in USA and you are unemployed or underemployed in Canada, what's wrong in it? As at the end of the day you needs to pay your bill, no one is going to pay it regardless how much patriotic you are. Bottom line if you are a middle class and earning below 100k, Canada is the best place. But if you have the potential to make more then 100k USA is the best place. Now the choice is upto you.