+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The main purpose of Canadian citizenship is just to move to US?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
That's the nice thing about being Canadian....I can do as I choose (as long as it's legal), I can hold multiple citizenships, I can move freely within or outside of the country and it's no ones business but my own. It's obviously frowned upon by some, that after spending several years working and living and contributing to Canada, that those that take the oath may decide to move on. But it's not illegal, it's not immoral and it really isn't anyone's business but their own. People need to "step off" and stop imposing their values on everyone else. I'm sure they have bigger issues in their lives to deal with!

Last edited:

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
That's the nice thing about being Canadian....I can do as I choose (as long as it's legal), I can hold multiple citizenships, I can move freely within or outside of the country and it's no ones business but my own. It's obviously frowned upon by some, that after spending several years working and living and contributing to Canada, that those that take the oath may decide to move on. But it's not illegal, it's not immoral and it really isn't anyone's business but their own. People need to "step off" and stop imposing their values on everyone else. I'm sure they have bigger issues in their lives to deal with!
Probably not... otherwise they wouldn't have had the time and energy dissing other people's life choices

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Some people with this type of mindset
Funny discussion... as an European I was moving from country to country all the time for work, etc, no borders without asking me these stupid questions , so if you want to move, move, the world is big and life is short and that discussion is useless !!!

Exactly!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I think having a public debate about what citizenship means is a perfectly legitimate topic for a democratic society. If Canadians are worried that people are exploiting their immigration and citizenship programs in ways that do not benefit Canada then they are perfectly entitled to raise their concerns and have them taken seriously by their elected leaders. If Canadians want to change the law to make it harder to become a citizen to protect what they perceive as the value of their citizenship and to make sure Canada reaps the economic and social benefits from immigration they are supposed to receive, then so be it. Canadians can then reap the economic and social consequences of those actions be they positive or negative.

However, once someone becomes a citizen according to the laws in place at the time then they deserve to be accorded all the respect and dignity of a natural born citizen and they should be entitled to exercise all the rights and privileges as if they were born on Canadian soil, including the right to move abroad for personal reasons.

ohhhhusa

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
How does Canadian citizenship help you move to the USA? I know so many Canadians who wanna move down south permanently but have no idea how. Personally I think this border and citizenship stuff is just 19th and 20th century BS and soon people will be able to live wherever they want.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Personally I think this border and citizenship stuff is just 19th and 20th century BS and soon people will be able to live wherever they want.
Surely, you are not serious. The more likely outcome is a society stratified something like this: a cosmopolitan relatively borderless life for the very rich, a semi-trans-national professional class with multiple citizenship and immigration privileges, an increasingly angry and marginalized native middle and working class occasionally mobilized by populist demagogues and an immigrant laboring class with a mix of legal and non-legal status who "do the jobs natives don't want to do" for substandard wages and living conditions. Heck, that pretty much describes the "developed" world NOW.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Or become Canadian of Convenience.
Canuck of convenience is such an archaic term. I am not suprised Mr. Harper and his Party coined it to succeed their proposed bill. Which they did.
I am old fashioned. I believe in by sparing the rod, you will spoil your child. So do not call me a lib.

I believe many conservative minded or even liberals never have been realistic and thought outside the box.
A lot never thought or tried to solve the root cause of such phenomena.
It had been discussed here and I guess on other forums or offices what is really happening. But the elephant in the room is still not big enough to notice LOL!

I guess it’s always easy to blame the immigrants for all the ails of the nation.

Ah great! Finally another catch-all thread where people can kill their time discussing politics while waiting for citizenship and do what immigrants are best at: Criticizing other immigrants and applying higher standards to immigrants than non-immigrants would.

"I'm a better immigrant than you! What you are doing is barely immigrant-ing, look at me how I'm immigrant-ing like a true immigrant. Now let me throw a random troll-accusation at you and I can show that I'm the immigrant of immigrants. You better start immigrant-ing hard or you don't deserve to be one!"
Sometimes when your in the can, and nothing there to do than take a big dump and your fingers long tapping letters on your phone is such a good idea to pass time and discuss I am better immigrant than you will ever be. Hahahaha!

This is like barbershop talk. Nothing gets solve after the discussion is over other than both of you are gearing to punch the other in the face.

Reactions: itsmyid

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
This is an interesting discussion. Bottom line is canada, as a country and people see the best in people ... Which other nation would give such benefits and quick citizenship?!.. Sure they expect new immigrants to contribute But there are so many other ways of contributing to the country and leaving to another country to do better work can definitely be one way .. End of the day, all citizens represent Canada wherever they go and Canada is judged by all their actions

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
This is an interesting discussion. Bottom line is canada, as a country and people see the best in people ... Which other nation would give such benefits and quick citizenship?!.. Sure they expect new immigrants to contribute But there are so many other ways of contributing to the country and leaving to another country to do better work can definitely be one way .. End of the day, all citizens represent Canada wherever they go and Canada is judged by all their actions
You are judge as canadian on actions you do on foreign lands.
One thing I do not like about this country is, if ever you a canadian citizen have the misfortune of getting yourself in trouble without looking for it abroad, you are on your own. I reference the poor former canadian ambassador to PI who unluckily where kidnapped by terrorists and decapitated because according to MR. Trudeau, his country doesn’t negotiate with terrorists. He alone pulled the notch and doomed than man.

I can understand if he was a commoner like me. But a freaking former ambassador. He was a Fed. It’s a matter of principle! You touch one of our former employees, you will deal the brunt of the government of canada.

His message to abusayaf et al in reality when he said we do not deal with terrorists are, kill as many canadians as you want and we will be timid about it, and pay you reparations when you go to jail because your feeling where hurt.

Don’t give kidnappers ransom, but at least look for them and bring them to justice. Or even kill them on the spot so we do not waste tax dollars on their behalf during their incarceration in our justice system.

Reactions: qorax

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Wealthy immigrants don't care about citizenship. That's why they will go to some Caribbean islands to invest"... buying their citizenship for global mobility.
He will
His voters want it canceled. Doesn’t matter how much damage it does to US or Canada
Wanting something is one thing, implementing it is another. The most he can do is to re-brand (as he always does to make his twits happy) NAFTA, but the core agreements will remain unchanged, because there is simply too much common/business interests between Canada and the US.