+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Apparently, the number is only accessible to applicants in canada and IRCC just provided them with WFH capabilities about ten days ago. In the words of the agent who answered me.
Seems they haven't updated the website to reflect that. Maybe because the call volumes are already high enough anyway.

I applied on November 23 and haven't been processed yet. I'm also graduating soon, so am about to run into the same issue.

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Okay, I just got off the phone with another agent whose name and PID I collected. I asked him of my eligibility to apply on Implied status for PGWP and if I am able to work when I do that.

The answer he gave me about Implied status application did not sound too convincing - although I didn't need him to convince me since it is on their website - he sort of rambled on about how processing times are not correct and I might have to apply for PGWP on implied status and hope the officer reasons along those lines when processing the application.

On whether we can work if we applied for PGWP on implies status for study permit, he consulted with some "consultant" on the background and returned by saying unequivocally that "NO, YOU CANNOT WORK unless your study permit was active at the time of PGWP application".

My conclusion from the conversation is that the whole thing is up in the air, at least until the IRCC updates their website with specific instruction for that scenario.
Did you ask about November applicants?

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Okay, I just got off the phone with another agent whose name and PID I collected. I asked him of my eligibility to apply on Implied status for PGWP and if I am able to work when I do that.

The answer he gave me about Implied status application did not sound too convincing - although I didn't need him to convince me since it is on their website - he sort of rambled on about how processing times are not correct and I might have to apply for PGWP on implied status and hope the officer reasons along those lines when processing the application.

On whether we can work if we applied for PGWP on implies status for study permit, he consulted with some "consultant" on the background and returned by saying unequivocally that "NO, YOU CANNOT WORK unless your study permit was active at the time of PGWP application".

My conclusion from the conversation is that the whole thing is up in the air, at least until the IRCC updates their website with specific instruction for that scenario.
So we are getting different information from different agents. not sure what to believe at this point...

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
They seem to be moving through them fairly quickly. (Unless there's a bunch of people who applied in December who are still waiting, that haven't mentioned it?) Here's hoping at some point soon they go back to the November ones!

Tinashar

Apr 7, 2020
It is really upsetting that they are ignoring applications for November it is been 5 months now and haven't received anything. Have been listening many people are getting refused it is not acceptable after waiting for 5 months you are getting refused so we can't do anything. Can't work i am not able to receive my Employment insurance yet i am not sure i will. Receive it or not. With everything expired i done know what to do

Reactions: ree14

ssandhuuuu

Mar 31, 2020
It is really upsetting that they are ignoring applications for November it is been 5 months now and haven't received anything. Have been listening many people are getting refused it is not acceptable after waiting for 5 months you are getting refused so we can't do anything. Can't work i am not able to receive my Employment insurance yet i am not sure i will. Receive it or not. With everything expired i done know what to do
[/QUOTE
Getting refused ?? The November applicants???

ssandhuuuu

Mar 31, 2020
Getting refused ?? November applicants?

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
You shouldn't let that bother you. Each application is treated on its own merits and If you qualify for the SP Ext, you will get it. Unfortunately, I echo your thoughts on the EI thing and CERB. Unfortunately, we are caught in the firing line of this thing.

This afternoon it was declared that International students can work full time till August 1st, unfortunately again, some of us have completed school and do not qualify to work full time either ways since our applications are PGWP applications are made on implied status.

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
This afternoon it was declared that International students can work full time till August 1st, unfortunately again, some of us have completed school and do not qualify to work full time either ways since our applications are PGWP applications are made on implied status.
Can you elaborate more on this? is there a source? our SP is expired at the end of this month, and we need a coop WP in order to start looking for coop jobs.

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
Can you elaborate more on this? is there a source? our SP is expired at the end of this month, and we need a coop WP in order to start looking for coop jobs.
International students providing essential services

You are temporarily allowed to work more than 20 hours if you are

• a study permit holder in an academic session
  • eligible to work off-campus, and
  • providing an essential service

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html#restrictions-students