+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
So here's what the officer had to say: I was put on hold for about 15 mins after which the officer came back and said that if we sent in an application for PGWP on implied status, we are allowed to work. He sent me this additional information that I have mentioned below.

He was very clear on the phone that we can work but I forgot to ask if he meant full time or part-time as he did say that since we are on implied status, the same conditions that apply for students on study permit applies to us.

I would encourage you @kloppity to make a call too and clarify with them. I got through an agent within the first 10 minutes of calling so they are actually answering. Wait till all the automated messages are over. If we can actually work, we're good!

"Working while waiting for the PGWP

You may be allowed to work full-time in Canada if you applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and are waiting for a decision. To do so, you can show a potential employer you’re allowed to work by giving them a copy of all of the following documents:

• Proof that you completed your program(s) of study, such as:
    • the official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program, or
    • an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website,
  • A copy of your study permit:
    • to be allowed to work right away, your permit should say: “May accept employment on or off-campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w); must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”,
  • A copy of the acknowledgment of receipt from your PGWP application, if you applied online:
    • to be allowed to work right away, the acknowledgment of receipt must have been received before your study permit expired.
If these conditions don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job.

You can use these documents to work only until a decision is made on your PGWP application.

If your application for a PGWP is rejected or refused, you need to stop working the day we notify you of the rejection or refusal."
Thanks for this. I will put a call through today!

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I don't know about anyone else but that number shows up for me as "Market Street Apartments", which is some place is Hamilton, ON.

Also, I read people have made fraudulent calls with that number before. Will make for an interesting conversion when I get through to them.

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Guys, I encourage you to call as you'll get a faster response than on a web form. They're open from 9 am to 6 pm Mon-Fri as per the automated message I received when I called last night.
1 (888) 242-2100 (in Canada)
Not able to get through to an agent. Automated message says processing for applications submitted after Nov 7 hasn't started yet, which is not true.

Reactions: ree14

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Not able to get through to an agent. Automated message says processing for applications submitted after Nov 7 hasn't started yet, which is not true.
You have to stay on at least 10 minutes...to be able to connect to an agent

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Btw @kloppity they called me back and said that we are allowed to work full time. They just don't provide any documentation to prove that we can work. So if you can somehow convince your employer that you can work, there shouldn't be any issues.

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
This is after you press 0 to talk to an agent? The system automatically cut my call since "they were experiencing a high call volume".
ohh I see. I guess the call volumes are really high. I called at 9 am that's when they open and after pressing 0 to talk to an agent I was on hold for about a minute only.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Yeah, I did confirm that it is on their website. Just Interesting to see that the number has been spooked a number of times.

You'd to go through the different extensions before they give you the option to call the agent (usually 0).

Traditionally, the IRCC agent will never concede that applications are being processed past the date on the website or that "Someone you know got approved".

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Btw @kloppity they called me back and said that we are allowed to work full time. They just don't provide any documentation to prove that we can work. So if you can somehow convince your employer that you can work, there shouldn't be any issues.
I am surprised they called. Although these are unprecedented times, the CIC/Agents never call clients back.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Okay, I just got off the phone with another agent whose name and PID I collected. I asked him of my eligibility to apply on Implied status for PGWP and if I am able to work when I do that.

The answer he gave me about Implied status application did not sound too convincing - although I didn't need him to convince me since it is on their website - he sort of rambled on about how processing times are not correct and I might have to apply for PGWP on implied status and hope the officer reasons along those lines when processing the application.

On whether we can work if we applied for PGWP on implies status for study permit, he consulted with some "consultant" on the background and returned by saying unequivocally that "NO, YOU CANNOT WORK unless your study permit was active at the time of PGWP application".

My conclusion from the conversation is that the whole thing is up in the air, at least until the IRCC updates their website with specific instruction for that scenario.

Reactions: ree14 and meister

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I'm a bit confused. The website states that the call centres are not operating for talking to agents. Is that just an old message then?
Apparently, the number is only accessible to applicants in canada and IRCC just provided them with WFH capabilities about ten days ago. In the words of the agent who answered me.