+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Chisun

Dec 2, 2019
Hi Omofar,
Please, how best can I present a sponsor who is a benefactor and we are not related by blood. He has a company and personal account has sufficient fund. Please do let me know.

Secondly, can I go for upfront medicals since I intend to make an online application. Thanks and hoping for your feedback.

Note: I got a teaching assistant job alongside with the admission, the salary is CAD30,000 per annum. My total annual tuition fee is CAD10,000.
I can actually pay the one year tuition fee.

msomona

Feb 25, 2020
Hello Omofar please I need to contact you personally but I'm not able to private message you because I'm new on this forum. Please is there anyway I could do this? Hope to hear from you soonest. Thank you!

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Omofar,
Please, how best can I present a sponsor who is a benefactor and we are not related by blood. He has a company and personal account has sufficient fund. Please do let me know.

Secondly, can I go for upfront medicals since I intend to make an online application. Thanks and hoping for your feedback.

Note: I got a teaching assistant job alongside with the admission, the salary is CAD30,000 per annum. My total annual tuition fee is CAD10,000.
I can actually pay the one year tuition fee.
It's not because they now like us, it is simply because of the Coronavirus.

Their major focus had been Asian applicants, but now that the region is being devastated by the virus, they need to look elsewhere to make up for the short fall... Where else will they look, which other country's applicants can meet the stringent study permit requirements without govt funding or scholarships? Only Nigerians!!!!!!

Them no get choice again. Lol

Dia fadaaa :p:p:p;)

Reactions: Bekee and Sky00797

msomona

Feb 25, 2020

Their major focus had been Asian applicants, but now that the region is being devastated by the virus, they need to look elsewhere to make up for the short fall... Where else will they look, which other country's applicants can meet the stringent study permit requirements without govt funding or scholarships? Only Nigerians!!!!!!

Hahahaha Dia fadaa indeed! lmao too funny

The world is in my prayers o against this virus. BUT sometimes goodness comes in the midst of chaos.

Reactions: Omofar

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019

Did not even think of it like this...if it be so I pray more people get approvals oo..

Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everone,

Looks like this is going to be launched soon.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), has announced a new pilot project – Nigeria Student Express (NSE) – that is geared at reducing study permit processing times for Nigerian students who have been accepted to degree programmes in Canada.

Eligible for the NSE are students who have a letter of admission for bachelor, master’s or PhD degree programmes (or other graduate-level studies) from designated learning institutions in Canada.

Processing times for study permit applications for Nigerian students currently average around eight weeks. The NSE pilot aims to reduce that processing window to 20 days or less.

IRCC announced the pilot at EduCanada fairs in Abuja and Lagos in January 2020, and eligible students may now apply for study permits through the NSE. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate they have sufficient funds for their studies in Canada via a secure financial verification system called MyBank, which is available from the principal commercial banks in Nigeria.

IRCC has not yet set an end date for the pilot and will be monitoring the programme over the coming months to see if it is achieving stated goals.

How the NSE is different
The Canadian government offers a similar programme called the Student Direct Stream (SDS) that aims to streamline visa processing for eligible students in selected markets. The SDS is open currently to students from Morocco, Senegal, China, India, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Pakistan.

While the Nigeria Student Express (NSE) is also aimed at speeding up visa processing times, it differs from the SDS in being targeted only to students admitted to degree studies. The financial verification process used within the NSE (MyBank) is also different from guaranteed deposit mechanism used by SDS applicants.

Visa rejection rates in Canada
Last fall, we reported on new IRCC data that showed a marked increase in rejection rates for study permit applications for Canada, the world’s fastest-growing major study destination. From 2014 through 2018, total foreign enrolment in Canada grew by just over 73%.

As of May 2019, IRCC data revealed that nearly four in ten applications for study permits (39%) were rejected in the first five months of that year. This compares to a 28% rejection rate in 2014, and a 34% refusal rate in 2018.

A related analysis by Polestar Student Immigration found that three in four African students who in winter/spring 2019 applied for a permit to study in Canada were rejected by Canadian immigration officials, a far higher rejection rate than found among students from any other region.

Polestar found generally that, “The refusal and approval rates vary dramatically by where the students are from and what kind of education they seek in Canada.” They explain:

“For example, only 4% of study permit applications from Japan and Korea were rejected this year, compared to 81% of applications from Nigeria and 86% of applications from Algeria. However, students from Japan and Korea were also more likely to apply for a study permit to attend an ESL programme. The refusal rates for ESL programmes is lower than for college or university programmes.”

Potential for growth
Those findings contrast sharply with the growing demand for study abroad in a number of African markets, and Nigeria in particular. As we noted in one recent report:

“According to Nigeria’s National Universities Commission, between 2012 and 2017 fewer than 20% of applicants to Nigerian universities gained admission, leaving 6.3 million qualified students without a place. One in five Nigerians is aged 15–24, and this is the fundamental reason that Nigeria will be one of the fastest-growing markets for study abroad for the foreseeable future.”

The NSE pilot appears to be squarely aimed at the significant potential of the Nigerian market represents, as does the recent expansion of the SDS programme to Morocco and Senegal. If these initiatives are successful in driving down rejection rates – and otherwise streamlining visa processing – for applicants from these important African sending markets, they could well have a transformative effect on Canadian recruiting efforts in the region.

Cheers

Omofar

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Hi Everone,

Looks like this is going to be launched soon.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), has announced a new pilot project – Nigeria Student Express (NSE) – that is geared at reducing study permit processing times for Nigerian students who have been accepted to degree programmes in Canada.

Eligible for the NSE are students who have a letter of admission for bachelor, master’s or PhD degree programmes (or other graduate-level studies) from designated learning institutions in Canada.

Processing times for study permit applications for Nigerian students currently average around eight weeks. The NSE pilot aims to reduce that processing window to 20 days or less.

IRCC announced the pilot at EduCanada fairs in Abuja and Lagos in January 2020, and eligible students may now apply for study permits through the NSE. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate they have sufficient funds for their studies in Canada via a secure financial verification system called MyBank, which is available from the principal commercial banks in Nigeria.

IRCC has not yet set an end date for the pilot and will be monitoring the programme over the coming months to see if it is achieving stated goals.

How the NSE is different
The Canadian government offers a similar programme called the Student Direct Stream (SDS) that aims to streamline visa processing for eligible students in selected markets. The SDS is open currently to students from Morocco, Senegal, China, India, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Pakistan.

While the Nigeria Student Express (NSE) is also aimed at speeding up visa processing times, it differs from the SDS in being targeted only to students admitted to degree studies. The financial verification process used within the NSE (MyBank) is also different from guaranteed deposit mechanism used by SDS applicants.

Visa rejection rates in Canada
Last fall, we reported on new IRCC data that showed a marked increase in rejection rates for study permit applications for Canada, the world’s fastest-growing major study destination. From 2014 through 2018, total foreign enrolment in Canada grew by just over 73%.

As of May 2019, IRCC data revealed that nearly four in ten applications for study permits (39%) were rejected in the first five months of that year. This compares to a 28% rejection rate in 2014, and a 34% refusal rate in 2018.

A related analysis by Polestar Student Immigration found that three in four African students who in winter/spring 2019 applied for a permit to study in Canada were rejected by Canadian immigration officials, a far higher rejection rate than found among students from any other region.

Polestar found generally that, “The refusal and approval rates vary dramatically by where the students are from and what kind of education they seek in Canada.” They explain:

“For example, only 4% of study permit applications from Japan and Korea were rejected this year, compared to 81% of applications from Nigeria and 86% of applications from Algeria. However, students from Japan and Korea were also more likely to apply for a study permit to attend an ESL programme. The refusal rates for ESL programmes is lower than for college or university programmes.”

Potential for growth
Those findings contrast sharply with the growing demand for study abroad in a number of African markets, and Nigeria in particular. As we noted in one recent report:

“According to Nigeria’s National Universities Commission, between 2012 and 2017 fewer than 20% of applicants to Nigerian universities gained admission, leaving 6.3 million qualified students without a place. One in five Nigerians is aged 15–24, and this is the fundamental reason that Nigeria will be one of the fastest-growing markets for study abroad for the foreseeable future.”

The NSE pilot appears to be squarely aimed at the significant potential of the Nigerian market represents, as does the recent expansion of the SDS programme to Morocco and Senegal. If these initiatives are successful in driving down rejection rates – and otherwise streamlining visa processing – for applicants from these important African sending markets, they could well have a transformative effect on Canadian recruiting efforts in the region.

Cheers

Omofar
This is actually good news.

However it might be bad for our brothers and sisters that always like to use “uncle” or “in-law statement” or company reference letter.

myBank simply means that you have required funds in your PERSONAL account or SPOUSE account or PARENTS account.

Nothing more.
They’re tired of hearing relative stories.

Reactions: Naijaboy and Omofar

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
This is actually good news.

However it might be bad for our brothers and sisters that always like to use “uncle” or “in-law statement” or company reference letter.

myBank simply means that you have required funds in your PERSONAL account or SPOUSE account or PARENTS account.

Nothing more.
They’re tired of hearing relative stories.
Sure indeed it is thanks for this @omofar,@Sky00797.

This initiative could also help differentiate potential genuine student whose aim is to go study in Canada...but nevertheless we are nigerians we always find shortcut to things...

Reactions: Sky00797

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Sure indeed it is thanks for this @omofar,@Sky00797.

This initiative could also help differentiate potential genuine student whose aim is to go study in Canada...but nevertheless we are nigerians we always find shortcut to things...
That’s why we are falling backwards instead of moving forward. I used to think like that too but reality is different

We always want the easy way out but it ends up biting back at all.

Sincerely, I believe that one has no business with studying abroad if they genuinely cannot afford to meet the requirements.

The white people that set this requirements are not stupid. They know how hard it is for internationals to survive in their countries and they simply do not want us to come there & be stranded or frustrated.

But Nigerians “know it all”. That’s why you can easily tell a person that’s suffering to survive in the “abroad”, from a person that’s fully funded lol

Benjena

May 28, 2019

This looks like the reason for the recent approvals Nigerians are getting now, a friend got approved today also

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I am happy to hear that rate of approvals is increasing for Nigerian applicants. Please note that Corona or No-Corona virus, you must ensure that your application still meets and possibly exceeds the minimum acceptable requirement for study permit approval.

So if you are unable to either of the following;

1. Demonstrate a clear purpose of visit

2. Demonstrate sufficient and compelling capacity to fund your studies

3. Demonstrate a clear intention to return to your home country

4. Demonstrate clear job prospects upon your return

Your application will be refused.

All the best in the new year.

Cheers

Omofar

Reactions: Sky00797

Benjena

May 28, 2019
@Omofar
Pls kindly tell me if this is ok or not based on ur experience.
My total program cost for 2yrs is 23,600CAD. I have paid 6,500CAD which is one semester tuition . I am keeping 24,000 CAD to take my fund to 30,500CAD. Pls is my fund good enough? This is monthly accumulated fund from my salary through my salary acc which I will attach and my employment labour contract certificate which am going to include. I am self sponsoring my study.

Hope my proof of fund and proof of source of fund is ok.
Thank you as your direction has been helpful ever since I started this journey

Reactions: Emprezz