+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

rawhh

May 11, 2016
Hello Kristina,

Can you be more specific about "Did you apply online", "Paper Application", Medical (upfront), What application and on what basis?

As far as the information you have provided, I can just tell you that you don't have to worry for vfs track receipt which says that application is in process at High Commission As it would only change once they receive passport.

On the other hand if it is online then status would only change once they request for medical or if medical is already in then it will change once it is approve.

Even if it is paper application and you just have vfs tracking receipt you can always login to cic account or can make one if you dont have one and then can link paper application, But it would only help to be patient because tracking shows you same status until a request is made for any document from high commission or is approved

ktom

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Med's Request
None
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2016
rawhh said:
Hello Kristina,

Can you be more specific about "Did you apply online", "Paper Application", Medical (upfront), What application and on what basis?

As far as the information you have provided, I can just tell you that you don't have to worry for vfs track receipt which says that application is in process at High Commission As it would only change once they receive passport.

On the other hand if it is online then status would only change once they request for medical or if medical is already in then it will change once it is approve.

Even if it is paper application and you just have vfs tracking receipt you can always login to cic account or can make one if you dont have one and then can link paper application, But it would only help to be patient because tracking shows you same status until a request is made for any document from high commission or is approved
Hello, I have applied on paper for the open work permit as my partner is a skilled worker in Canada (he went there early August), with no upfront medical as I have not visited any of the countries listed and was advised I don't need one. Also based on my passport, I did not have to submit it.

I have tried to link my paper application through CIC, but keep getting the no match results, which makes me worried they don't even have it yet.

But yes, it seems like I have to be patient, which is not that easy :) It's next to impossible not to constantly keep checking for any progress haha

rawhh

May 11, 2016
@Kristina,

That's true that it is hard to be patient, As far as Linking application issue, that just have issues some times if you don't have application number or UCI, because sometimes details we give doesn't match with computer data that's why.

Just hope for the best and you will hear soon by next week, Good Luck!!

ktom

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Med's Request
None
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2016
@rawhh

Thank you! Your replies have helped to soothe the anxiety :)

anttor

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
What is the chances of getting approved after receiving the medical request?
applied on May 13
Medical request Aug - 29

rawhh

May 11, 2016
anttor said:
What is the chances of getting approved after receiving the medical request?
applied on May 13
Medical request Aug - 29
Chances are almost 100 %, Only in rare case like technical error by CIC or medical doesn't pass could be the only few reasons of refusal thereafter.

You might have noticed in medical request that high commission has reached to a stage where medical is required.

Once medical is done it will be just two more weeks process for everything to be done.

anttor

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
rawhh said:
Chances are almost 100 %, Only in rare case like technical error by CIC or medical doesn't pass could be the only few reasons of refusal thereafter.

You might have noticed in medical request that high commission has reached to a stage where medical is required.

Once medical is done it will be just two more weeks process for everything to be done.
Hmm... I have seen that. Online status says "medical: passed" It changed on sep 2. so maybe we have to wait till sep 16.

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
fkl said:
Hi lakshmi,

Sorry to hear that. Once you involve a lawyer and they don't do it well, there can be endless possibilities.

There is no such process as reconsideration as such. It only applies when CIC has made some mistake i.e. missed a document or made a factual error. You don't even know / have reason to suspect that is the case. Even if so, it could take much much longer than to submit a new application by yourself.

My advice, get gcms notes first and see if there is more evidence of exactly why they refused, meanwhile prepare a complete application by yourself and apply online.

HI FKL,

I am getting the GMC notes for the refusal for my husband application.I have got my PNP file number should I mention that in the new application if I have to do so.Will that be useful as I see in the cic web site "Note: Spouses or common-law partners of work permit holders who have been nominated for permanent residence by a province are entitled to open work permits for the duration of the work permit of the provincial nominee principal applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal applicant’s occupation."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Will this be help full ,please advice

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
lakshmikoppala said:
HI FKL,

I am getting the GMC notes for the refusal for my husband application.I have got my PNP file number should I mention that in the new application if I have to do so.Will that be useful as I see in the cic web site "Note: Spouses or common-law partners of work permit holders who have been nominated for permanent residence by a province are entitled to open work permits for the duration of the work permit of the provincial nominee principal applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal applicant’s occupation."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Will this be help full ,please advice
Hi Lakshmi, sure it would be helpful since it frees you from the burden of proving whether you have a skilled job or not. You must attach the nomination with your wp app

Hiii

Star Member
Aug 6, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys to share your experience.
Its really helpful for me.
I am holding my PGOWP and going to apply SOWP in next Wednesday.
Hope I will get good result.

nurzohra

Star Member
Jul 11, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am a student in Canada and my husband stays in Europe. We got married in May 2016. After marriage my husband applied for TRV and his application was refused. He again applied for SOWP and got a reply that the photographs that we had submitted were digital modified (it was the processed photographs by the photographers). He submitted the untouched photographs of our wedding and trips. Today his application again got refused. They gave the same reasons that they had earlier given when refusing his TRV.

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for your stay.
In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

immigration status in country of residence
family ties in Canada and in country of residence
length of proposed stay in Canada
current employment situation
personal assets and financial status

Please help. Should we reapply or ask to reopen the application?

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
fkl said:
Hi Lakshmi, sure it would be helpful since it frees you from the burden of proving whether you have a skilled job or not. You must attach the nomination with your wp app
Thank you for the suggestion FKL.

I have not received the nomination.The nomination would take another 1 month.I have just received the file number .IS that ok?If i include the file number.I applied for reconsideration through mail .I have some doubts
1.How will respond back to the reconsideration since I didn't use the lawyer this time.
2.will it be through courier or email.
3.Can I apply for visit visa while waiting for the reconsideration.

Thanks once again

Siri1208

Aug 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian working in USA as a consultant. My spouse is in Canada on student visa. I have my TRV to Canada. Now my question is, i would like to apply for open work permit.

1. Is it better to apply from USA or from Canada?
2. What are the forms required for both? I would prefer an online application.
3. If i apply inside Canada, can i travel to USA while the application is being processed?

Need your valuable suggestions. Thanks in adv.....

JattTinka

Aug 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Siri1208 said:
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian working in USA as a consultant. My spouse is in Canada on student visa. I have my TRV to Canada. Now my question is, i would like to apply for open work permit.

1. Is it better to apply from USA or from Canada?
2. What are the forms required for both? I would prefer an online application.
3. If i apply inside Canada, can i travel to USA while the application is being processed?

Need your valuable suggestions. Thanks in adv.....
Go to the border with your spouse and you will a work permit right away over there.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
JattTinka said:
Go to the border with your spouse and you will a work permit right away over there.
I don't think so. It most likely won't work.

There are two CBSA rules which make getting the wp at border valid.

a) Only people who do not require visa to enter Canada can obtain work permit at the border. This excludes people with nationalities who need a TRV to enter Canada.
b) If you are already admitted to Canada on a valid study or work permit AND you are returning by land ONLY from the US, you DO NOT REQUIRE A VISA to enter Canada.

When people meet b, and they flagpole / return from US, they do not need visa to enter Canada and hence they qualify for obtaining WP at the border based upon a.

Now i have heard of cases where people were already in Canada on a visitor TRV (6 month max, no medical coverage), then they went to border and got a WP, but i don't know if that was just them being lucky. There is no actual law stating this.

So for the original poster here who would be entering Canada first time on a visitor visa, i don't think it would work.

But your best bet is to enter Canada as a visitor and ask about WP too. If they say yes you might get it there. Else apply from inside Canada latter. I don't see much difference between applying from US vs applying online from inside Canada. Both should take the same time.

Instructions and documents needed would come up as you attempt filling online form.