+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

JattTinka

Aug 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
fkl said:
I don't think so. It most likely won't work.

There are two CBSA rules which make getting the wp at border valid.

a) Only people who do not require visa to enter Canada can obtain work permit at the border. This excludes people with nationalities who need a TRV to enter Canada.
b) If you are already admitted to Canada on a valid study or work permit AND you are returning by land ONLY from the US, you DO NOT REQUIRE A VISA to enter Canada.

When people meet b, and they flagpole / return from US, they do not need visa to enter Canada and hence they qualify for obtaining WP at the border based upon a.

Now i have heard of cases where people were already in Canada on a visitor TRV (6 month max, no medical coverage), then they went to border and got a WP, but i don't know if that was just them being lucky. There is no actual law stating this.

So for the original poster here who would be entering Canada first time on a visitor visa, i don't think it would work.

But your best bet is to enter Canada as a visitor and ask about WP too. If they say yes you might get it there. Else apply from inside Canada latter. I don't see much difference between applying from US vs applying online from inside Canada. Both should take the same time.

Instructions and documents needed would come up as you attempt filling online form.
Oh,
I didn't knew that.
I am sorry for my post because of the wrong information.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You are welcome. Please see inline.

lakshmikoppala said:
Thank you for the suggestion FKL.

I have not received the nomination.The nomination would take another 1 month.I have just received the file number .IS that ok?If i include the file number.I applied for reconsideration through mail .I have some doubts
1.How will respond back to the reconsideration since I didn't use the lawyer this time.
You did not exactly mention applying for reconsideration as opposed to a fresh application. You should know that there is no formal process for reconsideration. Some times CIC officers might look at something they made a mistake with, reopen your file and correct all taht is there. Even when it is their fault, it generally takes longer than a standard new application to get through. So they might not respond for many months, might send an email, you really have no official way of telling unless you filed for a judicial review against CIC in a local court and court sides with you.
2.will it be through courier or email.
Can't say, see above

3.Can I apply for visit visa while waiting for the reconsideration.
YES, assuming your status hasn't expired already, in which case you would apply for restoration instead.

Thanks once again

Jayamrutia

Apr 4, 2014
fkl said:
@flk Hello guys. This thread has been very informative through out the process of sowp. I have applied on july 8th from india for my spouse with upfront medical. I got medical request today. I am confused what to do. Wether to do medical again or contact hospital to resubmit the medical?
Please help me guys.
It was an online application.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
JattTinka said:
Oh,
I didn't knew that.
I am sorry for my post because of the wrong information.
No worries, we all are trying to help others and at times the info can be slightly off. That is what forum is for.

ovosaoleite

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
Hello!

What are the forms to apply for spouse work permit? And also, who applies for it, the spouse or the student?

Thanks in advance!

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
fkl said:
HI FKL,

I am seeking to apply for Visitor Visa for my husband as this is my first Diwali after marriage coming soon.I don't have the option to go to india has I have used all my vacation for this year.My husband has been granted leave in his office in india.

What do you think are chance for getting the visitor visa for Diwali celebration has reason.
can you provide me any suggestions for visitor visa ?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
lakshmikoppala said:
HI FKL,

I am seeking to apply for Visitor Visa for my husband as this is my first Diwali after marriage coming soon.I don't have the option to go to india has I have used all my vacation for this year.My husband has been granted leave in his office in india.

What do you think are chance for getting the visitor visa for Diwali celebration has reason.
can you provide me any suggestions for visitor visa ?
Assuming you are on a skilled work permit in Canada, chances of refusal on a short term visitor visa for spouse are relatively high because generally it is hard to prove such an intent. Celebrating diwali together might be a reason but they will always look at this as a potential immigrant case unless proven otherwise. So unless your husband has a very strong profile so that CIC is convinced he won't stay here illegally / overstay, it won't work out.

The more appropriate way would be to apply for SOWP if you qualify so he comes and lives here with you for as long as you are here.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
hello fkl,

i did apply properly but see im refused 2 sowp on the name of finance. anyway i did request mp in canada for letter of recommendation and also to lookinto more specific reasons for refusal

Jayamrutia

Apr 4, 2014
FLK please help me

I have applied for open work permit for my spouse on July 8th with upfront medical. i got medical request with form IMM 1017 from cic on september 14th. I wonder what should i do next since i have already submitted medical then what are the way to inform cic and help them to locate my medical certificate? it was an online application from india. thank you

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ovosaoleite said:
Anybody please?
The spouse applies for it i.e. it is always the applicant who intends to get the permit applies by himself. With immigration Canada there is no concept of some one applying on behalf on another person (except may be if you authorize a lawyer).

The documents list would be generated when you fill online or paper application form and some of those would be unique to your situation.

But generally those include proof of relationship, your student spouse's study permit, some recent document showing that he / she is continuing her current program satisfactorily, proof of enough finances for one year expense, details of dependent spouse's profile i.e. education / work history etc. any thing that proves ties to home country.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Jayamrutia said:
FLK please help me

I have applied for open work permit for my spouse on July 8th with upfront medical. i got medical request with form IMM 1017 from cic on september 14th. I wonder what should i do next since i have already submitted medical then what are the way to inform cic and help them to locate my medical certificate? it was an online application from india. thank you
You have to inform them of your upfront medicals. First check that your doctor actually uploaded your results online. Then provide the same info to CIC via case specific inquiry (what ever method is available to you in your local embassy)

Again, since it was online, CSE should be the best way

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Matthewpr said:
Hello All Dear Friends,
Can you please let me know is there any validty for Open work permit visa like do we need to travel Canada with in 2months or three months from our homecountry?

And also please let me know What is L2 clearence?

Appreciated all your response on this

Thanks
You can enter Canada any time before the expiry of TRV (the visa stamped on your passport).

The actual open work permit would be issued when you land.

Jayamrutia

Apr 4, 2014
fkl said:
You have to inform them of your upfront medicals. First check that your doctor actually uploaded your results online. Then provide the same info to CIC via case specific inquiry (what ever method is available to you in your local embassy)

Again, since it was online, CSE should be the best way
Thank you FLK. I ll do the CSE.