+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
HI FKL,

My husband SWOP is rejected :( because we didn't keep the marriage certificate.I got married in feb and forgot to get the marriage certificate because of lack of time and i thought my husband can get it with out me.But in india they refused to give with out me.I asked the lawyer and he said we can do ti with Affidavit and we did.Yesterday we got rejection saying lack of proof of relationship and Insufficent funds .I am going to india now but I have question can I do Visit visa for him now or should have to go with the Swop again.?The SWOP seems to be so painful process.It took 2 months for them to say that i have to get the marriage certificate

hiransiddharth

Dec 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2016
Nomination.....
15-03-2016
AOR Received.
08-08-2016 (CIC RECVD FILE ON 17TH May)
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
08-20-2017
lakshmikoppala said:
HI FKL,

My husband SWOP is rejected :( because we didn't keep the marriage certificate.I got married in feb and forgot to get the marriage certificate because of lack of time and i thought my husband can get it with out me.But in india they refused to give with out me.I asked the lawyer and he said we can do ti with Affidavit and we did.Yesterday we got rejection saying lack of proof of relationship and Insufficent funds .I am going to india now but I have question can I do Visit visa for him now or should have to go with the Swop again.?The SWOP seems to be so painful process.It took 2 months for them to say that i have to get the marriage certificate
Hi,

Please do not go with visitor visa... Re apply for SOWP.. you will go through ths time. Get the Marriage certificate ! Insufficient fund checkmark is just the secondary reason anddoesn't appeal ..CIC just checkmark... if you have stable and good job which lies in NOC O, A OR B. tHEN DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT...

pROVIDE SOME PICTURES TOO THS TIME WHILE YOU ATTACH MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, PAY STUBS , t4.. bANK STATMENTS AND PROOF FUNDS ARE JUST SUPPLIMENTARY IF YOU HAVE noc o a or b.

We got the refusal too... and my spouse got the reason that i dint provide job duties , offer letter and dint prove i belong to NOC O,A OR B. and Insufficent funds.

So we re-applied with all docs again.. and also attached my skilled NOC B BC PNP Letter of confirmation.

All the best ! :)

Warm Regards,
Sid

oglop

May 28, 2016
Hello everyone, your wisdom is required.

I'm with work permit now, and my wife already got SOWP, both of our WP expires on 2017 Nov. But my job is contract based, although there is no end time on my contract, the word used is "indefinite", but in reality the company has right to end it at any moment.

1. If my contract ends. Will my work permit expire?( I knew I can not work for other company, it is stated on the A4 sized work permit paper), Can I stay in canada and find a new job ? ( of course the new company has to apply WP and LMIA again for me, it usually takes months or longer ?)

2. Can my wife enter canada after my contract ends ?

"Typically open spousal permits are valid until the expiry date listed on them, regardless of your work status.

However, if you are travelling in and out of Canada after your employment has ended, it is possible that your work permit and your spouse's work permit could be revoked as the permits are the property of the Government of Canada, and retaining them is at the discretion of the border guard."

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
hiransiddharth said:
Hi,

Please do not go with visitor visa... Re apply for SOWP.. you will go through ths time. Get the Marriage certificate ! Insufficient fund checkmark is just the secondary reason anddoesn't appeal ..CIC just checkmark... if you have stable and good job which lies in NOC O, A OR B. tHEN DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT...

pROVIDE SOME PICTURES TOO THS TIME WHILE YOU ATTACH MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, PAY STUBS , t4.. bANK STATMENTS AND PROOF FUNDS ARE JUST SUPPLIMENTARY IF YOU HAVE noc o a or b.

We got the refusal too... and my spouse got the reason that i dint provide job duties , offer letter and dint prove i belong to NOC O,A OR B. and Insufficent funds.

So we re-applied with all docs again.. and also attached my skilled NOC B BC PNP Letter of confirmation.

All the best ! :)

Warm Regards,
Sid
Should I go with Paper application or Online apllication. Since I have done with lawyer in Canada,should I go with him.I am worried since he was not clear for the first time for marriage certificate.Or I should Go with consultancy in india

guru1313

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
09/01/2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
HER

Your inbox is full
Delete some messages

skilledindian

Sep 27, 2015
Hello All,

Myself and my spouse both of us are Mechanical Engineers, My spouse is looking to apply for a MBA Program in Canada, I would want to apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit along with her, my job profile resembles NOC 113, Can I apply it from India or should I be in Canada to apply the same. And before it expires, would I be eligible to apply for Express Entry Visa?

My intention is to get some Canadian experience and strengthen my resume before I apply for Express Entry Visa, kindly advise is it the right thing to do?

Thanks and Warm regards!

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Hi Friends,

I am in Canada on work permit.

My wife works in India and she has applied visitor visa for 3 months initially.

Should I apply 'Online-SOWP-Spouse Open Work Permit' from India ?

or

Is it better to apply 'Online-SOWP' after my wife arrived in Canada on visitor visa for 3 months ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :) :) ;)

hiransiddharth

Dec 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2016
Nomination.....
15-03-2016
AOR Received.
08-08-2016 (CIC RECVD FILE ON 17TH May)
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
08-20-2017
lakshmikoppala said:
Should I go with Paper application or Online apllication. Since I have done with lawyer in Canada,should I go with him.I am worried since he was not clear for the first time for marriage certificate.Or I should Go with consultancy in india
Seems like paper application are processed faster.... you can go either way just attach all necessary docs .

Regards,
Sid

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
smartindian said:
Hi Friends,

I am in Canada on work permit.

My wife works in India and she has applied visitor visa for 3 months initially.

Should I apply 'Online-SOWP-Spouse Open Work Permit' from India ?

or

Is it better to apply 'Online-SOWP' after my wife arrived in Canada on visitor visa for 3 months ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :) :) ;)
Please apply for the SOWP in India in a paper format since it's getting processed faster as of now. However, it is the complete application that matters more than anything. I would recommend having Medical test being done atleast 2-3 weeks before application submission along with a PCC (Police Clearance Certificate).

HARSH131010190

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
i am on PGWP, and working in NOC b , but i am working part time in NOC b , CAN I APPLY FOR MY SPOUSAL WORKPERMIT IF I AM WOKING PART TIME IN noc B?

guru1313

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
09/01/2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
lakshmikoppala said:
I second what has been said above. It will be a mistake to try trv now. Go with SOWP again. I am not sure why paper or online application would make a difference here. It is a pretty common understanding that you need genuine proof of marriage except for some limited circumstances which are hard to prove. So I fail to understand who / why you got that feedback.

Whatever way you chose to apply, application will likely still be processed in india since that is where the applicant is.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
oglop said:
Hello everyone, your wisdom is required.

I'm with work permit now, and my wife already got SOWP, both of our WP expires on 2017 Nov. But my job is contract based, although there is no end time on my contract, the word used is "indefinite", but in reality the company has right to end it at any moment.

1. If my contract ends. Will my work permit expire?( I knew I can not work for other company, it is stated on the A4 sized work permit paper), Can I stay in canada and find a new job ? ( of course the new company has to apply WP and LMIA again for me, it usually takes months or longer ?)

2. Can my wife enter canada after my contract ends ?

"Typically open spousal permits are valid until the expiry date listed on them, regardless of your work status.

However, if you are travelling in and out of Canada after your employment has ended, it is possible that your work permit and your spouse's work permit could be revoked as the permits are the property of the Government of Canada, and retaining them is at the discretion of the border guard."
No job is free from the company's right to end it at any moment - except may be few government type job.

1. Yes and Yes. Contract ending does not terminate your work permit. You can still stay in Canada till the expiry of current work permit. The only issue might arise if you are out of work and are travelling back to Canada and CBSA gets to know that you were working on a closed work permit, don't have that job any more - then they certainly aren't going to easily let you in without fully understanding how are you going to live here.

Of course you are free to find a new employer and apply. But the employer needs to get you a new work permit which is pretty much the same process as earlier. Usually it requires getting LMIA which could take between a few days to many months. Then you apply for work permit which would take a few months. But if you have a currently valid work permit, you could skip this time frame by going to US border, flag pole and get a new permit there. Very few jobs are exempt from LMIA so the duration would likely be the same as it was before.

2. Legally, your spouse can enter and get a work permit. But she might be grilled on the same thing. Where does her spouse work and if he is on a closed work permit and now out of job, they would be pushing it further to know how do they expect to continue living in Canada. Technically CBSA can make any decision for some one with a work permit application.