+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

runaway982

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
fkl said:
Applying for visitor status (short term one) while being spouse of a student / worker is a very bad idea and would likely be refused. Unless of course you are applying via a different basis for Visitor visa. Spouse of some one living in Canada intends to live with them as long as they are there. They do not intend to visit for a short trip.

While criteria is different for dependent of a worker vs student, it is far easier and simpler for a worker because of a few factors.

E.g. if you have a stable job offer from Canada (worker), you do not need ANY proof of funds.

Profile of some one getting such a job is likely very strong with well paid job in home country. This serves as strong ties.

Also if you are applying alone as a student, having family back home serves as a strong tie and makes it easier to get visa. When you apply with family, CIC tries to ensure you have a profile of some one with ties to home country who won't stay illegally in Canada. They have no issues with people legally settling in Canada.

@fkl

Just another quick question. Should I apply for TRV via paper application?
am I on the right path here?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5256ETOC.asp

I mean could please tell me what is the difference between Visitor Visa and Temporary Resident Visa?

I thought I understood you, but I can not manage to find the answer on the CIC web site.

Thanks in advance
:)

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
hi Friends,

I am applying for 'SOWP-Spouse Open Work Permit'.

Shall I upload PCC-Police Clearance Certificate at the time of application ?

It will save the time of processing.

I found pre-requisite letter of agency is required to apply for PCC on Passport Seva Kentra.

Pls can anyone guide me ?

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
runaway982 said:
@fkl

Just another quick question. Should I apply for TRV via paper application?
am I on the right path here?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5256ETOC.asp

I mean could please tell me what is the difference between Visitor Visa and Temporary Resident Visa?

I thought I understood you, but I can not manage to find the answer on the CIC web site.

Thanks in advance
:)
Temporary Resident Visa is required to enter Canada if you are from a non visa-exempt country.

Work Permit, Study Permit and Tourist Visa are all different types of TRV. TRV is the visa that is stamped on your passport which allows entry while permits are letters which grant you extra privilege (work, study etc.).

Visitor Visa is a general term used by people which means a TRV with no permit (the holder can enter the country but cannot work or study, hence is just a tourist).

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Hi guys!

Lets say I work as an Accounting Clerk (NOC C), but the duties are similar to a Bookkeeper/Accounting technician position (NOC B).. would they look more into the job responsibility or the job title?

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
fkl said:
I second what has been said above. It will be a mistake to try trv now. Go with SOWP again. I am not sure why paper or online application would make a difference here. It is a pretty common understanding that you need genuine proof of marriage except for some limited circumstances which are hard to prove. So I fail to understand who / why you got that feedback.

Whatever way you chose to apply, application will likely still be processed in india since that is where the applicant is.
Thank you for the suggestion.I heard paper applications are processed fast in this forum.So i was in dilemma for online or paper.How to write the cover letter for this .Do you suggest any sample cover letters.

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
hiransiddharth said:
Seems like paper application are processed faster.... you can go either way just attach all necessary docs .

Regards,
Sid
Thank you Sid.I want to my husband to submit the medicals ahead this time.How many days before should we do medicals before submitting the application?

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
smartindian said:
hi Friends,

I found pre-requisite letter of agency is required to apply for PCC on Passport Seva Kentra.

no you dont need the letter when applying for PCC at the passport seva kendra. I didnt submit this and got the PCC on the same day. While the PCC from poilce requires this and can take anywhere between 15 days to a month. Thus, i recommend getting the PCC from Passport Office.

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
lakshmikoppala said:
Thank you for the suggestion.I heard paper applications are processed fast in this forum.So i was in dilemma for online or paper.How to write the cover letter for this .Do you suggest any sample cover letters.
Firstly, standard cover letter should explain "your situation". Address it to the consulate and explain why are you applying for the said visa type. If it is for a temporary type of visa then the story should corroborate the fact that you wish to return back. Proof of the same should be attached with the application.

Any standard format of formal letter should serve as the basis for this.
And for medicals, atleast 2 to 3 weeks before you submit the application.

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
MUPAX said:
no you dont need the letter when applying for PCC at the passport seva kendra. I didnt submit this and got the PCC on the same day. While the PCC from poilce requires this and can take anywhere between 15 days to a month. Thus, i recommend getting the PCC from Passport Office.
hi MUPAX,

Thanks for your info.

Is it better if I get Medical Exam in advance before application submission,
and then submit the SOWP-Spouse Open Work permit online/VFS in India ?

To save the processing time. Is it a correct way ?

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
MUPAX said:
Firstly, standard cover letter should explain "your situation". Address it to the consulate and explain why are you applying for the said visa type. If it is for a temporary type of visa then the story should corroborate the fact that you wish to return back. Proof of the same should be attached with the application.

Any standard format of formal letter should serve as the basis for this.
And for medicals, atleast 2 to 3 weeks before you submit the application.
Thank yo for the details.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashpur88 said:
Temporary Resident Visa is required to enter Canada if you are from a non visa-exempt country.

Work Permit, Study Permit and Tourist Visa are all different types of TRV. TRV is the visa that is stamped on your passport which allows entry while permits are letters which grant you extra privilege (work, study etc.).

Visitor Visa is a general term used by people which means a TRV with no permit (the holder can enter the country but cannot work or study, hence is just a tourist).
Mostly Correct. Some clarifications.

Work / Study permits are not TRVs. TRV is for entry exit to the country and a short stay. If you have a valid work or study permit, It is your legal status IN CANADA. It does NOT automatically allow you to enter / exit Canada.

When some one applies from outside Canada (and they require a visa to enter Canada - they get both as part of the process

i.e. a) Proof of status in Canada (work / study permit)
b) A trv to enter Canada (If trv is multiple entry and valid for longer time frame it can be used to enter exit Canada as many times as required as long as it is valid).

When you apply from inside Canada for Extension of status (e.g. work or study permit), TRV is NOT part of this process.

Technically you can continue staying in Canada on a valid Work / study permit and never need a TRV. That is only needed when you exit and then enter Canada again.

So often people with valid work / study permits apply separately for TRVs from inside Canada which is a much faster process (2 weeks).

In some cases, you can enter from US ONLY without a TRV - if you have a valid work / study permit.

----

Now TRVs have two main types.

a) VISITOR TRV - the standard visit visa that any one gets who is coming to Canada on a short trip (less than six months). Its processing time is shorter, does not require medicals, does not get you health care in Canada and does not allow you to stay longer than six months in Canada either. This is NOT the type spouse of workers or students should apply. People often apply and get refused.

b) RESIDENT TRV - Say you are a spouse of a worker (who does not want a spousal permit) or a child of a worker and you want to accompany your spouse or live with them for as long as there are here in Canada. Then you apply fore TRV but indicate your INTENDED stay as MORE THAN SIX MONTHS. You would undergo medicals and processing time would be the same as that of a work permit. But once approved you also get medical coverage in Canada and your stay is as long as that of the principal spouse (no restriction of six months). When a person lands with resident TRV, they get a VISITOR RECORD which states how long they can stay in Canada and what are their restrictions.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
smartindian said:
hi Friends,

Yes PCC is a requirement, without it an application would be refused.

I don't know what the second document you referred is. Probably it is something local to your CIC embassy. Best resource would be their website or ask them directly via email.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
frustratedcanadian said:
Hi guys!

Lets say I work as an Accounting Clerk (NOC C), but the duties are similar to a Bookkeeper/Accounting technician position (NOC B).. would they look more into the job responsibility or the job title?
Responsibilities are more important. But it goes deeper. They would also looked at wage. If it is around or better than median / average wage for that NOC in that province, it is likely going to be treated as such. Plus there are often academic degree requirements tied to a NOC.

The hourly wage of a NOC C position would be significantly lower than NOC B. Also a NOC B position likely would require a university degree in Accounting. This should be written in NOC details. Plus Government of Canada officially publishes average, low, high wages by NOC / job title for each province officially. Should be a bit of effort to search that.

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
hi Friends,

Shall I upload PCC-Police Clearance Certificate at the time of application of SOWP ?

I think PCC is only required for PR application, right ?

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Mostly Correct. Some clarifications.

----

Now TRVs have two main types.

a) VISITOR TRV
b) RESIDENT TRV
Good to know this. I dint realize there were two different kinds of TRV!

I always thought the SOWP was slightly harsh because people with NOC C jobs dint qualify to get a SOWP for their spouse. I guess they have the option of resident TRV.