ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Yes PCC is a requirement, without it an application would be refused.
Assuming that the OP's spouse is in India (fair assumption considering the user name), PCC is not required for SOWP.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
lakshmikoppala said:
Thank you for the suggestion.I heard paper applications are processed fast in this forum.So i was in dilemma for online or paper.How to write the cover letter for this .Do you suggest any sample cover letters.
I have heard lots of myths around this. But it might be local to the particular embassy you are referring. In india I guess there was an issue of fake document copies submitted online a while back. So CIC started putting more scrutiny on those there by making online applications slower. Otherwise in general onlines are better since they require a little less work for CIC. But still the difference should be negligible.

There is no official format for cover letter. Just clearly indicate the info you need to communicate with proof in as few words as possible. It is not some thing with a standard format.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashpur88 said:
Good to know this. I dint realize there were two different kinds of TRV!

I always thought the SOWP was slightly harsh because people with NOC C jobs dint qualify to get a SOWP for their spouse. I guess they have the option of resident TRV.
Sure - well SOWP is stricter some what. But I really doubt the resident TRV (Actually this is not a formal term but the visitor record that is issued upon landing states all the differences like longer validity of stay etc.) is allowed for cases not eligible for SOWP.

There is no formal category for kids of skilled workers. If the kid is school going (older than 6), they get open study permits. But for younger kids, they get resident trvs.

But I believe the condition of principal applicant having a skilled job to support dependents is applicable to all.

So there is no reason why a spouse should NOT apply for SOWP. Even if they don't want to work, it doesn't hurt to have the authorization.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashpur88 said:
Assuming that the OP's spouse is in India (fair assumption considering the user name), PCC is not required for SOWP.
That's interesting, I never heard that. It is surely required for online applications, for those processed in Canada or from other home countries. Of course my knowledge is limited about India specifically. Thanks for bringing that info.

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
fkl said:
That's interesting, I never heard that. It is surely required for online applications, for those processed in Canada or from other home countries. Of course my knowledge is limited about India specifically. Thanks for bringing that info.

so finally I came to know that if I apply SOWP in Canada- I would surely need PCC
and if I apply SOWP in India- I don't need to submit PCC.

Thanks guys :)

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
fkl said:
He can apply for an open study permit while being in Canada Or he can even get admission to a school first and then apply for Open study permit. Mainly he needs his mother's study permit, proof of funds for his stay (only CIC requirement) and proof of relationship. Besides CIC may or may not ask for medicals (they often do not do that if you are already in Canada).

School normally won't insist upon study permit for giving admission. They would mainly ask for parent's status document.

One he receives a study permit, he can apply for a trv to enter exit Canada for the same period. That usually takes a month max for some one with a valid study / work permit.

Note that TRV is only required to leave and reenter Canada (except from US). If you are not leaving Canada and have a valid study permit, you can stay here till its expiry without the need of a TRV.
Hi FKL and All,

thanks a lot for your advise, my son got study permit approval but one day before study permit approval they asked my son to do medical exam. Do I still need to do my son medical exam?

With study permit my son now can buy one way ticket, is it correct?

Thank you for your help

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sonata95 said:
Hi FKL and All,

thanks a lot for your advise, my son got study permit approval but one day before study permit approval they asked my son to do medical exam. Do I still need to do my son medical exam?

With study permit my son now can buy one way ticket, is it correct?

Thank you for your help
You are most welcome. If they asked you to do medical exam, you should do that though this is relatively odd for me.

Still assuming you applied from outside of Canada, your son would have just received a plain letter called Letter of introduction. It would say things like "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved".

It is important to know that this is not the actual study permit. Your son would carry this letter of intro and would receive actual study permit at the port of entry. Actual SP looks like this

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=canada+study+permit&view=detailv2&&id=9072FFE43A9B04E1E1C71AC2FD051CE9A2F53455&selectedIndex=1&ccid=wdjOpVGz&simid=608053428941359540&thid=OIP.Mc1d8cea551b3eb23a893211fff0bdf96o0&ajaxhist=0

So if they asked him to do medicals, they might ask for results upon landing and make it conditional. This is my fear because I have never seen this scenario i.e. CIC asks for medicals and only makes decisions after receiving it.

And yes you can always buy a one way ticket. You just have to tell them it is a study permit valid for a long time, and not a visitor visa. In case they need to see that, you would have already received a TRV stamped on passport which shows its visa type based upon Study permit.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Hi Sonata,
Once they asked medicals means you should provide them without delaying from your end. And You can buy one way ticket always. There is no such condition to by a return ticket. In my case when I was coming from India to Canada with Kids, the airport ticket issuing authorities asked for return ticket but I argued with them that I have a valid work document and I explained them.

Thanks,

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
smartindian said:
hi MUPAX,

Thanks for your info.

Is it better if I get Medical Exam in advance before application submission,
and then submit the SOWP-Spouse Open Work permit online/VFS in India ?

To save the processing time. Is it a correct way ?
Most definitely. upfront medical exam will save a lot of time for you. Do get the PCC as well and try the VFS route. If application is complete, you should get the result in a week or so.

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
fkl said:
You are most welcome. If they asked you to do medical exam, you should do that though this is relatively odd for me.

Still assuming you applied from outside of Canada, your son would have just received a plain letter called Letter of introduction. It would say things like "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved".

It is important to know that this is not the actual study permit. Your son would carry this letter of intro and would receive actual study permit at the port of entry. Actual SP looks like this

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=canada+study+permit&view=detailv2&&id=9072FFE43A9B04E1E1C71AC2FD051CE9A2F53455&selectedIndex=1&ccid=wdjOpVGz&simid=608053428941359540&thid=OIP.Mc1d8cea551b3eb23a893211fff0bdf96o0&ajaxhist=0

So if they asked him to do medicals, they might ask for results upon landing and make it conditional. This is my fear because I have never seen this scenario i.e. CIC asks for medicals and only makes decisions after receiving it.

And yes you can always buy a one way ticket. You just have to tell them it is a study permit valid for a long time, and not a visitor visa. In case they need to see that, you would have already received a TRV stamped on passport which shows its visa type based upon Study permit.
Hi FKL,

My son applied SP inside Canada, I actually received the email said that your application remain in Canada temporary resident was approved until Aug 31 2017 the same with my wife study permit. A secure document has been mailed to you at the address what you provided when you made you application. If you have not received your secure document within 6 weeks, contact CIC
This letter is not valid for travel and is not a permit allowing you to remain in Canada.

What is a secure document CIC will send to us? you mean my son need to go to port of entry and get a study permit issue.

Thanks a lot for your advise

Cheers,

Thang

Thank you for your help

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
kalpan said:
Hi Sonata,
Once they asked medicals means you should provide them without delaying from your end. And You can buy one way ticket always. There is no such condition to by a return ticket. In my case when I was coming from India to Canada with Kids, the airport ticket issuing authorities asked for return ticket but I argued with them that I have a valid work document and I explained them.

Thanks,
Normally we bought ticket from agent they always ask us to bought return ticket if we have visitor visa. We have never try one way ticket with visitor visa. I want to try but I feel it is quite risky.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sonata95 said:
Hi FKL,

My son applied SP inside Canada, I actually received the email said that your application remain in Canada temporary resident was approved until Aug 31 2017 the same with my wife study permit. A secure document has been mailed to you at the address what you provided when you made you application. If you have not received your secure document within 6 weeks, contact CIC
This letter is not valid for travel and is not a permit allowing you to remain in Canada.

What is a secure document CIC will send to us? you mean my son need to go to port of entry and get a study permit issue.

Thanks a lot for your advise

Cheers,

Thang

Thank you for your help
Hi Thang,

I see - your email was quite misleading. Why would you worry about one way tickets unless you are planning on getting your son here after getting SP?

Any way the secure document is simply via courier at your indicated address. CIC mails the work permits in such scenarios.

Now usually they do not ask for medicals for people already here for work or study permits.

Moreover, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for them asking for medicals while they have already approved the application.

Were there any details asked regarding how to submit those medicals? But normally speaking if they have asked for it, you should provide it.

Lastly, in the above scenario buying one or two way ticket means nothing. Since you are already in Canada probably no body (air line) would even worry about the return ticket part. It might come up when you are on the way back for boarding. But the same applies even if you had purchased a return ticket.

The standard return ticket issue is different from above. That is for a normal visitor who is coming to Canada. Since he is a visitor most airlines ask for them to purchase return ticket for entering Canada and returning on a pre planned fixed date. That does not match with what you wrote above.

Besides, the most important thing is - Even if your son receives the actual study permit by post, the study permit does not allow him to enter Canada (except may be from US). It has to be a TRV - a sticker on passport that has to be applied for separately when you are already in Canada (unless of course you already have a valid TRV). Please note again - a study permit does not allow you to enter Canada, you need a valid TRV for that.

Once you have a valid SP, trv only takes a couple weeks from inside Canada

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
fkl said:
Responsibilities are more important. But it goes deeper. They would also looked at wage. If it is around or better than median / average wage for that NOC in that province, it is likely going to be treated as such. Plus there are often academic degree requirements tied to a NOC.

The hourly wage of a NOC C position would be significantly lower than NOC B. Also a NOC B position likely would require a university degree in Accounting. This should be written in NOC details. Plus Government of Canada officially publishes average, low, high wages by NOC / job title for each province officially. Should be a bit of effort to search that.
Thank you! You've been very patient in answering all these questions..

jas1988

Jun 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi
my husband applied in mid oct 2015 . it was an online application and its been 7 mnths . no updates till yet . please help . why it is taking dat much time .

guru1313

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
09/01/2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
jas1988 said:
hi
my husband applied in mid oct 2015 . it was an online application and its been 7 mnths . no updates till yet . please help . why it is taking dat much time .
Where is ur application ?