+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Someone just discouraged me lol

Is it true that if we do a medical exam for a visa/permit or whatever, we don’t have to do another medical exam for the PR as long as the medical exam is still valid (less than 1 year) ?

One girl just said “they asked my husband to do another medical exam even though he had another medical exam from a previous TRV (less than one year)”.
I thought it was written on the application (like the checklist) that if you did medical previously, for example for TRV, you can submit it. I will pass my application in a week and I will do that (then print email from the doctor who did the medical). Well if they ask for another medical I guess I have to wait. Did you guys pay for Biometrics? All in one payment together with the other fees?

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
I do have another question, for the pictures from London Drugs, how many do we submit with the spousal application? One only? They took my photo 2 months ago but the ink from their stamp at the back smudged in another photo :(

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For those who can read French, a new article :
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1797750/immigration-ottawa-postes-canada-dossiers-parrainage?fbclid=IwAR30LEiskz4iudu1nHS4Lkbk4utp_DC3E5dbyWOvNubVUi6LHHjMpsKTzN8

If you’ve any problem or a testimony, contact me in order to tell you how to contact quickly the journalist.

Good luck.
I completely agree that this process of sending the entire file back, with no notification or tracking, and no way to retrieve, is absolutely an abomination and barbaric. (Particularly to addresses abroad, but also in Canada).

One small note: reports here lately that files are now being 'returned' by email, with ability to resubmit without attaching all documents (i.e. they are at least keeping - it seems - all of the scans done when they file is originally received, and re-submit by sending print of old files since they already have).

It's too early to say how well it works but if they do it consistently and properly, it would be a BIG improvement (from an absolute disaster, granted). I still think they could deal with 90% of the rejected and returned files by just sending a document request though, rather than sending the whole thing back.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

Memin

Apr 30, 2021
Im am a Brazilian passport holder, and just received the PPR letter. I do have a valid eTA, as some Brazilians are eligible for it.
my question is, do i need to submit my passport or only the photocopy?.

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi, I am sending my wife's file from Canada post. I am sponsor and I am in Canada.

I have read following from Guide IMM5289, section 6 - submit your file.

"Send the application package with all the requested documents in a stamped envelope to the appropriate address below. "

So it means I can I can use any of following two to send my application?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop/mail-pack-ship/personal/p-142210.jsf?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop/mail-pack-ship/personal/p-142211.jsf?execution=e1s1

Any suggestions are welcomed.

frange

May 25, 2018
Im am a Brazilian passport holder, and just received the PPR letter. I do have a valid eTA, as some Brazilians are eligible for it.
my question is, do i need to submit my passport or only the photocopy?.
Please contact your VO since it is different from nationality to nationality versus VO to VO.

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
In From IMM5532, QUestion 1:
Before this relationship, was your sponsor related to you in any way? e.g.
· Your sponsor was related to a member of your family.
· Your sponsor's family member was related to you or a member of your family.

What shall we fill? As I and my wife never knew each other. However, her aunt and my sister-in-law were friends who gave my family reference to my wife's family and got us married.

As of Now, I have filled it to No. Because in Guide IMM5589 definitiation of Family member is :

An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

See section 1(3) of the IRPR for the legal definition.

ALso, from IPRR page.

Definition of family member

(3) For the purposes of the Act, other than section 12 and paragraph 38(2)(d), and for the purposes of these Regulations, other than paragraph 7.1(3)(a) and sections 159.1 and 159.5, family member in respect of a person means

• (a) the spouse or common-law partner of the person;
  • (b) a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner; and
  • (c) a dependent child of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b).

Please suggest.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I thought it was written on the application (like the checklist) that if you did medical previously, for example for TRV, you can submit it. I will pass my application in a week and I will do that (then print email from the doctor who did the medical). Well if they ask for another medical I guess I have to wait. Did you guys pay for Biometrics? All in one payment together with the other fees?
No, not for medical, that is for biometrics.

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi, I am sending my wife's file from Canada post. I am sponsor and I am in Canada.

I have read following from Guide IMM5289, section 6 - submit your file.

"Send the application package with all the requested documents in a stamped envelope to the appropriate address below. "

So it means I can I can use any of following two to send my application?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop/mail-pack-ship/personal/p-142210.jsf?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop/mail-pack-ship/personal/p-142211.jsf?execution=e1s1

Any suggestions are welcomed.
can someone please help

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018

What shall we fill? As I and my wife never knew each other. However, her aunt and my sister-in-law were friends who gave my family reference to my wife's family and got us married.

As of Now, I have filled it to No. Because in Guide IMM5589 definitiation of Family member is :

An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

ALso, from IPRR page.

(3) For the purposes of the Act, other than section 12 and paragraph 38(2)(d), and for the purposes of these Regulations, other than paragraph 7.1(3)(a) and sections 159.1 and 159.5, family member in respect of a person means

• (b) a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner; and

Please suggest.
please help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

ALso, from IPRR page.

Please suggest.
The instructions say related to you in any way. Just describe the connection truthfully if there is a family xonmection

But you say they were friends. if there's no family tie between the two families, the answer is no.

Reactions: LongBill