+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hi, if we are submitting online, should we just upload marriage photographs right. No need to have name and dob written at the back?. Please let me know. Thank you
I am quite interested as well on what to do with the photos. As for me, we have been together for 2 years but we just got married two weeks ago. I will be the applicant and my husband was born and has lived here in Vancouver ever since. We moved in the same house as of December 2021. I am on an open work permit. Though we have updated our addresses, we are trying to update our marital statuses as well. My question will be,
1. Can I wait not to change my last name on my passport since there is Covid, it will take me a while for sure to get it back from the Philippines
2. I believe I do not need a change of name on my Work Permit right, since the Work Permit is still valid until December 2022? Am I correct?
3. Though I know that for the BCID, CRA and SIN I believe you need to update them as soon as you change your status and last name? Is that correct? Thank you guys so much. If I know answers on your inquiries I will try to help as well.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, if we are submitting online, should we just upload marriage photographs right. No need to have name and dob written at the back?. Please let me know. Thank you
Again, unclear what you are submitting. Is this your original application? Spousal apps are only paper-based, no online, so originals needed.

If you've received some subsequent info request or other for an in-process app, yes, you could upload.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All has been asked is if the person still can come as a Permanent resident i guess as paper work was submitted. I also wonder if spouse was to support them has died. Thus there is no longer a sponsor. What wd be the basis of her coming, and thus they are asking re compassionate grounds. No idea than a possibility in the long run. Call to immigration call center may be worth unless some one has faced this issue. Daughter may not be able to come alone is what i wonder. Then what about mom?
That may indeed be what the poster was requesting. But let's wait and see what the poster says.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
Hey all so recently I sent in a spouse immigration application for my wife whose living outside of Canada. CPC Sydney recieved it on February 1, 2021, and it's been a month I haven't recieived an acknowledgement letter from them with a UCI or Application number.

My concern is my sister sent in her application too for the same category for her husband whose so living outside of Canada and CPC Sydney recieved it on February 11, 2021 but she already got an acknowledgement email with UCI and Application number from them.

So I'm worried did my application get lost, did they even recieve it, don't they open application on a first come first serve basis, is my application sitting under piles of newer applications, do newer applications get processed first and old ones after? How long would I have to wait like I'm pretty tensed out and worried about this now. If anyone could assist if they've dealt with something similar it would be great.
no need to worry yet, they'll send you something within a month mostly

Bgee22

Mar 1, 2021
Should be able to apply for permanent passport outside Canada. Should check carefully the documentation received to see if they made a determination of citizenship at the time of issuance of the temp passport.

To explain: as I understand it, they issue these temp passports on the presumption that the documentation is correct and the child is Canadian, but before the final determination of citizenship is made. For the most part - again as I understand - this is a formality and just takes time. Usually, again, presumption is that the parents/child will travel to Canada and eventually citizenship is worked out once that determination is made and documents renewed in due course. I don't know how it works in specific circumstances above, e.g. whether you will get notification and citizenship documentation; I'm fairly sure though that will need to do new application to get permanent passport (e.g. when temporary one expires).

Application on compassionate grounds for what?
Thank you

Rishavjeet

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Again, unclear what you are submitting. Is this your original application? Spousal apps are only paper-based, no online, so originals needed.

If you've received some subsequent info request or other for an in-process app, yes, you could upload.
He is asking while submitting the file we also submit photos and its good to write the dates and relationships if the couple is together with other family members

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
He is asking while submitting the file we also submit photos and its good to write the dates and relationships if the couple is together with other family members
But he refers to 'uploading.' Family sponsorship files are paper-based. Instructions are to write on them. There is no uploading.

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Hello Champion Members - @Love_Young @AllisonVSC @Leon@Gaurav26 @Kraken_123

I need advice, I am going to India in March to get married , my spouse never been to Canada.

1) What is the fastest way to get her here ?
2) Can i bring all the documents and apply for sponsorship from In Canada ?
3) Can i apply for Spousal Work permit (after PR file ) if she is in India ? Or can she apply from India ?
4) When can we apply for spousal work permit ?After submision of PR sponsership file and getting acknowledgment?
5) Or is it better to apply for visitor visa ? Before or after PR sponsership file ?
6) are biometric open in India currently ?
7) what are the approx time we are seeing on bringing spouse to Canada ?
8) approx time to get her work permit approval ?

i know these are a lot questions but everyone here might have same questions!

Hi ssingh5,
hope this helps you.
  1. What is the fastest way to get her here? - Tbh, there is no fastest way at the moment, sorry. We were in the same situation as you, a couple of months back and nothing worked out as planned due to Covid-19, VFS being closed, and prolonged processing times. The best path now would be the Outland Spousal Sponsorship followed by a dual intent TRV (which in fact is highly a case-to-case basis decision.) If you are lucky enough, you'll get it.
  2. Can I bring all the documents and apply for sponsorship from In Canada ? - If you are a Canadian PR, then yes BUT if you are a Citizen then you can apply from anywhere.
  3. Can I apply for a Spousal Work permit (after PR file ) if she is in India? Or can she apply from India? - If I am not wrong, an Open work permit is applicable only for Inland applications and not Outland.
  4. When can we apply for a spousal work permit? After submission of PR sponsorship file and getting acknowledgment? - Again, this applies only if you manage to bring her inside Canada first and then file an Inland application.
  5. Or is it better to apply for a visitor visa? Before or after the PR sponsorship file? - It's a debate actually. There are two things - the PR can be submitted only after you guys get married and that will open the gate for you to apply under family reunification (dual intent TRV) where your wife's travel will be considered essential. Again, here - since she is your wife, she has strong ties to Canada though you show sufficient ties to your home country - which is why it's a mere case-to-case and luck-based path. BUT however, let's say you apply for a visitor visa before you get married, then her travel would be considered as non-essential and henceforth a possibility to be rejected. It's your call - think wisely.
  6. is biometric open in India currently? - yes for family class, students, and economic categories. However, please double-check on the VFS sites.
  7. what is the approx time we are seeing on bringing a spouse to Canada? - Outland spousal sponsorship - 12 months. If you are lucky enough to get the dual intent TRV, then it will be just a few months.
  8. approx time to get her work permit approval? - depends on whether you for outland/ inland.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Its a paper files and docs you have to courier it to the embessy address in canada sydeny these days
I know. That's what I've been saying. He's been writing things such as "Hi, if we are submitting online, should we just upload marriage photographs right." And why I've been saying that makes no sense.

Reactions: Rishavjeet

Rishavjeet

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I know. That's what I've been saying. He's been writing things such as "Hi, if we are submitting online, should we just upload marriage photographs right." And why I've been saying that makes no sense.
Ok..you can uplaod the docs 2 my agent send docs like csq from the mail register to my file

kandarp1510

Apr 29, 2020
Hello,
I have received my COPR in Fevruary 2020 and I have got virtual landing so that means officially I am landed as PR.Now my question is Can i marry my girlfriend and apply under sponsorship ?? Do i have to give up my copr as I already applied for PR card and it is an emergency that I have to get married to my girlfriend before I can leave to India as due to family reason and it has to be done in one month. I might not even wait for PR card as it is an emergency and I might have to tell my friend or lawyer to mail me at India. Any idea how should I go on to that?cna anybody shed me light on it?

Reactions: J20190911

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Now my question is Can i marry my girlfriend and apply under sponsorship ?? Do i have to give up my copr as I already applied for PR card and it is an emergency that I have to get married to my girlfriend before I can leave to India as due to family reason and it has to be done in one month. I might not even wait for PR card as it is an emergency and I might have to tell my friend or lawyer to mail me at India. Any idea how should I go on to that?cna anybody shed me light on it?
You can marry and apply to sponsor her. It is probably best to wait to apply until after you get your PR card.

You do not have to give up your COPR. If you leave, you won't be able to return until you get your card. Yes, you can have someone courier it to you.