+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Hello Champion Members - @Love_Young @AllisonVSC @Leon@Gaurav26 @Kraken_123

I need advice, I am going to India in March to get married , my spouse never been to Canada.

1) What is the fastest way to get her here ?
2) Can i bring all the documents and apply for sponsorship from In Canada ?
3) Can i apply for Spousal Work permit (after PR file ) if she is in India ? Or can she apply from India ?
4) When can we apply for spousal work permit ?After submision of PR sponsership file and getting acknowledgment?
5) Or is it better to apply for visitor visa ? Before or after PR sponsership file ?
6) are biometric open in India currently ?
7) what are the approx time we are seeing on bringing spouse to Canada ?
8) approx time to get her work permit approval ?

i know these are a lot questions but everyone here might have same questions!

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Hello Champion Members - @Love_Young @AllisonVSC @Leon@Gaurav26 @Kraken_123

I need advice, I am going to India in March to get married , my spouse never been to Canada.

1) What is the fastest way to get her here ?
2) Can i bring all the documents and apply for sponsorship from In Canada ?
3) Can i apply for Spousal Work permit (after PR file ) if she is in India ? Or can she apply from India ?
4) When can we apply for spousal work permit ?After submision of PR sponsership file and getting acknowledgment?
5) Or is it better to apply for visitor visa ? Before or after PR sponsership file ?
6) are biometric open in India currently ?
7) what are the approx time we are seeing on bringing spouse to Canada ?
8) approx time to get her work permit approval ?

i know these are a lot questions but everyone here might have same questions!
U sd get replies, how ever in case calm you down:

you can begin the process of applying outland from here when you get married there . This work will take you a lot of time and is not easy. Outland sponsorships are lot faster in end. There are lot of ifs u need to consider if she was here, as if they call her for interview and if she is here she may need to go back. I did read some one saying interview can be requested for here N then her tourist visa may have expired. I am not sure under outland u can apply for OWP work permit as she sd be inside or inland so that her tourist visa remains extended. May be others can help more. This is what i had researched when i was applying for sponsorship. The lag time for final visa looks one year from the time they get it. But may be faster than inland

Bringing her here on tourist visa often is problematic and depends upon the visa office. i know of a case that this was refused on basis she is not coming here as a tourist but to live with husband etc. U may be lucky and she gets it.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
PLEASE HELP:
A Canadian citizen living abroad for 3 years got married and has 1 year old daughter. The Canadian Citizen passed away and before his death he had obtained a temporary passport for his daughter and had medical done for his spouse. Spouse is waiting for her docs after completing medical.

Question: Since main sponsor/applicant passed away, what are the options that the widow has?. This is very tragic case, Covid has ruined many lives.
If widow is granted permanent status, she has adequate assistance in Canada to assist her (family of deceased applicant is well settled in Canada).
Family and friends want to do the right think and correctly to assist this grieved family....

Please assist, if you can with your reply.
Yes it is a sad story. When you say the daughter has a temp passport do you mean a Canadian one? The daughter is a Cdn citizen because of the father being a citizen which you probably already know. That doesn't change, she is still a Cdn citizen and you should get the permanent passport soon since it sounds like you have applied for it.

Unfortunately for the wife, since the sponsor has passed away the PR application will be cancelled under the spousal sponsorship program. She will have to try a different program and apply based on her own merit if she wants to continue the immigration process.

Reactions: armoured

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
13-01-2020 Military service
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Feb 4, 2021
My spouse just saw this in the status check: xxx entered Canada at Etobicoke IRCC on February 26, 2021 and became a Permanent Resident. :)

How long does it typically take to receive CoPR or some sort of letter to use to get SIN number? Also, how long does it take to receive the PR card?

Reactions: J20190911

Bgee22

Mar 1, 2021
Yes it is a sad story. When you say the daughter has a temp passport do you mean a Canadian one? The daughter is a Cdn citizen because of the father being a citizen which you probably already know. That doesn't change, she is still a Cdn citizen and you should get the permanent passport soon since it sounds like you have applied for it.

Unfortunately for the wife, since the sponsor has passed away the PR application will be cancelled under the spousal sponsorship program. She will have to try a different program and apply based on her own merit if she wants to continue the immigration process.
Thank you,

Follow-up question: The daughter has already received temp Canadian passport. Does this mean that 2 years old has to come to Canada alone and then apply for permanent Canadian passport, or we can apply outside Canada.
Also, can the spouse (widow) make an application on compassionate grounds?
Thank you,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Follow-up question: The daughter has already received temp Canadian passport. Does this mean that 2 years old has to come to Canada alone and then apply for permanent Canadian passport, or we can apply outside Canada.
Should be able to apply for permanent passport outside Canada. Should check carefully the documentation received to see if they made a determination of citizenship at the time of issuance of the temp passport.

To explain: as I understand it, they issue these temp passports on the presumption that the documentation is correct and the child is Canadian, but before the final determination of citizenship is made. For the most part - again as I understand - this is a formality and just takes time. Usually, again, presumption is that the parents/child will travel to Canada and eventually citizenship is worked out once that determination is made and documents renewed in due course. I don't know how it works in specific circumstances above, e.g. whether you will get notification and citizenship documentation; I'm fairly sure though that will need to do new application to get permanent passport (e.g. when temporary one expires).

Also, can the spouse (widow) make an application on compassionate grounds?
Application on compassionate grounds for what?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know how it works in specific circumstances above, e.g. whether you will get notification and citizenship documentation; I'm fairly sure though that will need to do new application to get permanent passport (e.g. when temporary one expires).
One point here since I've inadvertently contradicted another poster who may know better than I do: I understand (or understood) that the temporary passports were/are usually issued with validity for a year or two. I don't know whether the permanent passport will come automatically - I believe that for newborns they often limit validity anyway since many countries will want child to have a passport redone fairly soon anyway.

So I _think_ it's expected the child would renew/get permanent passport by applying when the temporary one expires. And that presuambly the citizenship determination done by then - with citizenship card or certificate, don't know. (Which I believe should have been part of the original application, too).

Anyway - the documents / response from IRCC (or the embassy / consulate) probably gave some information on this). So hopefully it is mainly a matter of finding the correspondence and documentation (at what may, understandably, be a difficult time).

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Should be able to apply for permanent passport outside Canada. Should check carefully the documentation received to see if they made a determination of citizenship at the time of issuance of the temp passport.

To explain: as I understand it, they issue these temp passports on the presumption that the documentation is correct and the child is Canadian, but before the final determination of citizenship is made. For the most part - again as I understand - this is a formality and just takes time. Usually, again, presumption is that the parents/child will travel to Canada and eventually citizenship is worked out once that determination is made and documents renewed in due course. I don't know how it works in specific circumstances above, e.g. whether you will get notification and citizenship documentation; I'm fairly sure though that will need to do new application to get permanent passport (e.g. when temporary one expires).

Application on compassionate grounds for what?
All has been asked is if the person still can come as a Permanent resident i guess as paper work was submitted. I also wonder if spouse was to support them has died. Thus there is no longer a sponsor. What wd be the basis of her coming, and thus they are asking re compassionate grounds. No idea than a possibility in the long run. Call to immigration call center may be worth unless some one has faced this issue. Daughter may not be able to come alone is what i wonder. Then what about mom?

Ahmed2010

Jan 30, 2021
Hey all so recently I sent in a spouse immigration application for my wife whose living outside of Canada. CPC Sydney recieved it on February 1, 2021, and it's been a month I haven't recieived an acknowledgement letter from them with a UCI or Application number.

My concern is my sister sent in her application too for the same category for her husband whose so living outside of Canada and CPC Sydney recieved it on February 11, 2021 but she already got an acknowledgement email with UCI and Application number from them.

So I'm worried did my application get lost, did they even recieve it, don't they open application on a first come first serve basis, is my application sitting under piles of newer applications, do newer applications get processed first and old ones after? How long would I have to wait like I'm pretty tensed out and worried about this now. If anyone could assist if they've dealt with something similar it would be great.