+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

AGB

Apr 5, 2015
Hello Everyone

I am seeking some advice and hope to get some help here. I am an Egyptian married to a Canadian and we are both living in Egypt. I have been assigned by my company to work in Qatar a year ago so I been living in Qatar for almost the last 13 months and I am expected to be here for the next 3 to 4 months . I would be travelling to the US for PhD study next September and we were thinking of moving to Canada after finishing my study. We didn't yet start in any spousal sponsorship to obtain the PR for me. We are now confused what would be the best thing to do right now:
A - Start the sponsorship now, how long will it take? Will that be through Egypt or Qatar? Will it be required for me to be in either countries until i have my PR?
B - Start the sponsorship from the US after we both travel there? If we start the sponsorship from the US, will we have to go back to Egypt during the processing?
C- Try to start the sponsorship from Canada, if my wife arranged to go there and apply for the sponsorship from there. I heard it takes more time to do so than from ding it outside.

Is there something better and more practical than these options?

A side note is that I also have an opportunity to study my PhD in Canada, would that be of a significant advantage in getting my PR?

Thanks in advance and looking forward for your advice!

MiguelSeo

Jul 2, 2014
Hello.
I have a doubt and I hope you can help me.
I'm Argentinian and I'm being sponsored by my wife who is Canadian resident. We got married past August in Argentina. After that I applied for Visa tourist in December and I got a multiple entry visa for 7 years. We landed to Canada in January of 2015 and few days after that we applied for OUTLAND sponsorship. I'm planning go to Argentina in May and come back to Canada in June. So the question is should I have any trouble to enter Canada while I'm being sponsored?

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,

GISGeek

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2014
File Transfer...
27-10-2014
Med's Request
1st Upfront; 1st re-med: 19-05-2015; 2nd re-med: 09-10-2015
Med's Done....
24-07-2014: 1st re-med on: 28-05-2015; 2nd re-med: on 02-11-2015
Interview........
Waived, DM on 10 Nov 2015
Passport Req..
23-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2015, COPR received on 07-12-2015
Shweraj said:
Hi
Am planning to apply Pr for my spouse. Could anyone please help me the below questions
1. I understand it's a 2 step process. How long does the process take. I checked the cic website it says 2 + x months. In most regions 10+ months. Does it really take almost a year ?
2. How long should the sponsor stay in Canada after he/she has received her PR status to sponsor spouse

Am already in Canada while my spouse is not

Any info is must appreciated.

Thanks
There are two ways to file sponsorship application i.e. Inland and Outland (check CIC website for details). The Inland is when one files from Canada and Outland is one files from outside Canada no matter where the principal applicant lives either in home country or any country of residence or even living in Canada.

1. The PR approval times are different though, Inland = 17 months + 10 months = 27 months and outland = 62 days + time of visa office. (every VO has different time lines; as per CIC website).

2. There is a Sponsor/Principal Applicant agreement in the application kit. According to it the sponsor is responsible for all financial needs of his/her PR for two years, thus has to take care of its all needs. Therefore Sponsor can temporarily travel in or out of Canada but cannot settle some other place before this two year obligation.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
AGB said:
Hello Everyone

I am seeking some advice and hope to get some help here. I am an Egyptian married to a Canadian and we are both living in Egypt. I have been assigned by my company to work in Qatar a year ago so I been living in Qatar for almost the last 13 months and I am expected to be here for the next 3 to 4 months . I would be travelling to the US for PhD study next September and we were thinking of moving to Canada after finishing my study. We didn't yet start in any spousal sponsorship to obtain the PR for me. We are now confused what would be the best thing to do right now:
A - Start the sponsorship now, how long will it take? Will that be through Egypt or Qatar? Will it be required for me to be in either countries until i have my PR?
B - Start the sponsorship from the US after we both travel there? If we start the sponsorship from the US, will we have to go back to Egypt during the processing?
C- Try to start the sponsorship from Canada, if my wife arranged to go there and apply for the sponsorship from there. I heard it takes more time to do so than from ding it outside.

Is there something better and more practical than these options?

A side note is that I also have an opportunity to study my PhD in Canada, would that be of a significant advantage in getting my PR?

Thanks in advance and looking forward for your advice!
As a Canadian citizen, your spouse can sponsor you while residing abroad, however they need to prove that they will return to Canada once you are granted PR, so you shouldn't apply too far in advance before you want to move.

Your file would likely go to Cairo. Check out the Cairo thread for an indication of timelines through that office. You don't have to be in Egypt, you can be anywhere in the world.

Inland sponsorship, which you mention, is only when BOTH spouses are inside Canada, and you should not leave Canada at all during the process, which takes 2+ years.

You could do your PhD in Canada if you'd like, but you would have to pay international student fees and get a student visa.

smd

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-04-10
Doc's Request.
10-08-10
AOR Received.
23-09-10(second)
hii, i have sent my application for my wife's sponsorship to Mississauga case processing center on 30/03/2015 through Canada post express delivery . on canada post tracking it is saying me that there is delivery attempted on 01 april 2015 and delivery card is left from where the item can be picked and today is 05th april and there is no more update on tracking.

Can anyone faced the same situation or some one can advise what to do ?

jp0007

Nov 19, 2014
jp0007 said:
Kindly guide me, we got my wifes surname changed with mine one after marriage(she is in canada n i m the sponsor)),we applied for spouse sponsor visa in feb 2015 with her maiden surname(as it was long process to get her name changed in mariage certificate back with her maiden surname and also changeing her name in her documents), she has all her documents .cards with her surname now i have to update wifes name in my passport will there be any problem if i write her name in my passport with mine surname and her other documents remain in her surname?? ,will there be any issue while getting my visa?? :)

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Will cic work today?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
DanSlh said:
Will cic work today?

No immigration is closed today. I Google and it said all government offices are closed including immigration.

psd

Apr 6, 2015
I am a Canadian citzen 7 in the process of applying for spousal visa for my wife who is in India. As per the check list, birth certificate is required to be submitted. My wife does not have one & she has not been able to obtain one. Are there any other options that are acceptable in place of birth certificate?

Garry2008

Jun 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
psd said:
I am a Canadian citzen 7 in the process of applying for spousal visa for my wife who is in India. As per the check list, birth certificate is required to be submitted. My wife does not have one & she has not been able to obtain one. Are there any other options that are acceptable in place of birth certificate?
I think you should explain the reason for unable to submit Birth certificate or if you can provide evidence for No data Found in Government Record.You Can Provide any Other Educational Certificate that Has Date Of Birth Printed on it.

Quoted From Appendix A Document Checklist - Immigrant (Applicable to India, Bhutan and Nepal)
Note:
If the birth is registered late, include the original baptism certificate and other original
documents establishing identity such as:
• old school records (Fifth class,Middle standard and Matriculation certificate), and
• Voter's ID card.

Garry2008

Jun 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
awerty said:
Please help, is it required to provide school leaving document? or can we submit school records?
Can you make your Question little bit Clear to understand you situation?.Where it is Required School Leaving Certificate for Spousal Sponsership ?

psd

Apr 6, 2015
Birth certificate

For spousal visa application, birth certificate is required. My wife does not have & has been unable to obtain birth certificate. Is there any other option in lieu of birth certificate?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Birth certificate

psd said:
For spousal visa application, birth certificate is required. My wife does not have & has been unable to obtain birth certificate. Is there any other option in lieu of birth certificate?
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-no-birth-certificate-of-applicant-t101115.0.html

Good luck!