+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Garry2008

Jun 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Frizante said:
Hi everybody,

I spent hours on this topic trying to find answers to all my doubts. It helped a lot but I'm still uncertain of certain things.

I'm from South America, 27 years old, I have been living in Canada (Montreal) since 2012 as a student and I'll be done my graduadet diploma in a month (I cant apply for a post graduated working permit because i already had one once)......

I had a relationship with a Canadian man for 2 years and a half, then... I met my current fiance, we fell in love, I brokeup with my ex and now I've been dating my fiance for only 3 months.

He is 43 and I'm 27, I know it's is a big age difference but we are totaly compatible and in love and we plan to move in together by the end of the month and get organized to get married in a couple of months. We both have the ''buterflies'' in our stomach and we want to apply for immigration (sponsorship) ASAP.

We intend to do a small cerimony with my parents and his parents and close friends only (Maybe around 20 people). Untill our marriage we will have about 6 months of relationship only. Is this a small period of time? Should we wait a bit longer to apply? Should we get married, wait few more months and then apply? Should we get married within 6 months of reltionship and apply right away? Should we just wait longer to get married?

We are a bit lost but we don't really want to wait too long because we don't want to put ourlives ''on hold''. I mean, I wouldn't be able to do anything untill I get my papers and this is really frustraiting...

Anyways... I'd love to hear from your guys
As Per Age Difference for sure it will be a Red Flag for CIC.But it does not means CIC will not accept your relationship.It might take little longer and More Proofs for your genuine Relationship.And 6 month should be enough Once you have All Proofs of Your Relationship Before and After Marriage.It also Depends on Officer to Officer how deeply they Check your File and Is he Able to Find Any Red Flag for File. Usually CIC will make an interview in case of any Red Flag.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law 01-04-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
08-04-2015 (10-01-2015: PR In Process)
File Transfer...
Fingerprint Background Check (Canada) 02-18-2016
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
This has to be the best post ever! As my username states, I am totally baffled by all of this. My girlfriend and I filled out an Inland application, not yet sent in, but we did so because we thought, oh well I am here for over a year on my second visitor visa extension inland is the way to go. Now after reading this, we can choose outland and wait, as current wait times show, only 62 days! That is less than 3 months! Yeah, so what if I can get a job with the inland application. We want to be together as soon as possible, and getting a PR status faster will mean a faster way to work in Canada. Thanks Leon!

Baffled less baffled

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Baffled said:
This has to be the best post ever! As my username states, I am totally baffled by all of this. My girlfriend and I filled out an Inland application, not yet sent in, but we did so because we thought, oh well I am here for over a year on my second visitor visa extension inland is the way to go. Now after reading this, we can choose outland and wait, as current wait times show, only 62 days! That is less than 3 months! Yeah, so what if I can get a job with the inland application. We want to be together as soon as possible, and getting a PR status faster will mean a faster way to work in Canada. Thanks Leon!

Baffled less baffled
62 days is for sponsor approval only. Once sponsor is approved, it will be sent abroad to your visa office to approve the applicant.

Frizante

Apr 7, 2015
Garry2008 said:
As Per Age Difference for sure it will be a Red Flag for CIC.But it does not means CIC will not accept your relationship.It might take little longer and More Proofs for your genuine Relationship.And 6 month should be enough Once you have All Proofs of Your Relationship Before and After Marriage.It also Depends on Officer to Officer how deeply they Check your File and Is he Able to Find Any Red Flag for File. Usually CIC will make an interview in case of any Red Flag.

Thank you Garry!

We are always together and when we are not together, we are always writing to each other... We have a lots of pictures and proof of relationship... Although the age differeance, he is pretty in shape and doesn't show his age... Maybe this could help...

My question is, if the CIC thinks this is a red flag and ask for an interview, does this slowdown the process? (by howlong more and less?) We are thinking to apply outland and we are ok if we have to travel for an interview...

Also, I'd like to know if the sponsorship eligibility process is apart from the whole sponsorship process? I mean, he applies to check if he's eligible and once he's eligible we starte the whole form + pcitures and proof of relationship thing?

Thank you once more

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Oh 62 days for sponsorship approval....
Oh man 32 months for PR approval.... :eek:

Um, so gotta juggle now:
32 months + 62 days of wait time for application: 2 years, 8 months and 62 days, not allowed to work
or 45 months of wait time for application: approx. 4 years, allowed to work in Canada (including the months it takes to get to my application, estimated)

Ugh...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baffled said:
Oh 62 days for sponsorship approval....
Oh man 32 months for PR approval.... :eek:

Um, so gotta juggle now:
32 months + 62 days of wait time for application: 2 years, 8 months and 62 days, not allowed to work
or 45 months of wait time for application: approx. 4 years, allowed to work in Canada (including the months it takes to get to my application, estimated)

Ugh...
Are you an American citizen? If so...the processing times are nowhere near that long for stage 2.

Where are you getting this information? 45 months for an Inland application?

An Inland application is taking ~ 2 years (+/-) but...the applicant can receive an Open Work Permit (OWP) in ~ 4 months, as long as they have maintained their legal status. This makes the Inland `pill' a bit easier to swallow if a person is in Canada and really doesn't need to leave during the process.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Yes, I am an American Citizen. The process times are found from CIC, (not allowed to post links) and to process my permenent residence application it states Los Angeles is 32 months, but with what you said from my other posting, we only have one option, inland application.

Oh and sorry forgot to include details:

17 months to approve sponsorship
10 months for applicant background checks, medical exams, etc. THEN,
32 months for Los Angeles to process the rest
So, actually a lot longer than that more like 6 years to process everything o_O but with the possibility to work and never leave Canada.

When adding the months, I started from the "Working on applications...".

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baffled said:
Yes, I am an American Citizen. The process times are found from CIC, (not allowed to post links) and to process my permenent residence application it states Los Angeles is 32 months, but with what you said from my other posting, we only have one option, inland application.

When adding the months, I started from the "Working on applications...".
There's more than a little bit of ambiguity when it comes to the posted processing times.

Inland- Currently ~ 2 years, with the ability to work in ~ 4 months (as long as you have, and maintain, legal status).

Outland- For an American (without any red flags, such as criminality) the application is actually processed in Ottawa (versus LA or NY) and most see their approval in ~ 8 months, but...the OWP is not available for an Outland applicant.

Generally, the posted processing times for Outland show how long it took to process 80% of the applications. Many are processed much faster.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Oh, I see. So, the process times, as confusing and shocking as they are, are just worse case estimates? lol

I mean when I add up the months:
Sponsorship approval - 17 months + 18 months starting from (working on applications from...)
Application approval - 10 months
Permanent approval - 32 months

Totaling 6 years+ seems extremely long, don't get me wrong totally worth it, but long nonetheless.

Garry2008

Jun 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Frizante said:
Thank you Garry!

We are always together and when we are not together, we are always writing to each other... We have a lots of pictures and proof of relationship... Although the age differeance, he is pretty in shape and doesn't show his age... Maybe this could help...

My question is, if the CIC thinks this is a red flag and ask for an interview, does this slowdown the process? (by howlong more and less?) We are thinking to apply outland and we are ok if we have to travel for an interview...

Also, I'd like to know if the sponsorship eligibility process is apart from the whole sponsorship process? I mean, he applies to check if he's eligible and once he's eligible we starte the whole form + pcitures and proof of relationship thing?

Thank you once more
(1) There should not be a big delay for Interview but the most case who required Interview are assessed deeply due to Concern of Immigration Fraud.But there might be chance that CIC will not Ask for Interview as majority of the cases does not require any interview.

(2) sponsorship eligibility is first Step of whole sponsorship process.In this stage CIC Make sure that all the required Document are Presented in Application and person is eligible to sponsor a Spouse. You will need to Submit all the Proofs along with your application otherwise it can delay Process or Application can be Returned.

Time for Process Depend on Many Factors like (Application type is Inland or Out-land.If it is Out-land then which visa Office is Responsible and how much all Applications are taking in the Visa Office),Is case Complicated or Easy to make Decision,Are all the Valid Proofs has been Attached,is there any criminal background and Is the Spenser has Sponsored any Person Before etc.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Baffled said:
Oh, I see. So, the process times, as confusing and shocking as they are, are just worse case estimates? lol

I mean when I add up the months:
Sponsorship approval - 17 months + 18 months starting from (working on applications from...)
Application approval - 10 months
Permanent approval - 32 months

Totaling 6 years+ seems extremely long, don't get me wrong totally worth it, but long nonetheless.
I still have no idea how you are getting these numbers.

Inland: Stage 1 is currently 17 months and stage 2 is 10 months (last time I checked, it might have changed). For a total of 27 months.

Outland: 2 months (give or take) for stage 1 + 15 months for stage 2 (US applicants are processed through Ottawa, as indicated on the CIC site). The times listed for outland are by no means a rule. The majority of American applicants are done in 6-10 months.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Hmmm, OHHHH haha. Wow o_O more coffee please. I see what I am doing wrong there. I am adding the months 18 (from what they say, "Working on applications received on October 21, 2013" to today's date as if I were submitting it today.) + 17 months. LOL okay so the 17 months is the overall time frame. And I kept adding the 32 months from the Outland process times to the Inland. :p Sorry for confusing myself and you all.

Never mind then, 27 months.

Baffled baffles himself

*laugh*

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
I am seeing posts saying 17 months for first stage??

so if open work permit is expiring in 12 months, and we put in application now for spousal sponsorship, what happens when the open work permit expires, will the spouse have to leave Canada to wait for the 5 more months for first stage approval? or can the spouse stay in Canada since the application is pending?

The thought of having to be separated by leaving the country is extremely stressful and would be really hard to deal with if it is unavoidable

also another question, once first stage approval happens, can a work permit be obtained?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
volkov said:
I am seeing posts saying 17 months for first stage??

so if open work permit is expiring in 12 months, and we put in application now for spousal sponsorship, what happens when the open work permit expires, will the spouse have to leave Canada to wait for the 5 more months for first stage approval? or can the spouse stay in Canada since the application is pending?

The thought of having to be separated by leaving the country is extremely stressful and would be really hard to deal with if it is unavoidable

also another question, once first stage approval happens, can a work permit be obtained?
Ain't it pretty; 17 months just to reach AIP...if you're lucky.

The good news, is that a person that submits (or has already submitted) an Inland application and maintains their status, will now receive an OWP [if they apply for one] in ~ 4 months. This is thanks to the pilot program that CIC launched last December. For many, it makes the Inland `pill' a little easier to swallow.

Once the OWP is issued, the applicant no longer needs to renew/extend their visitor stay, because the OWP and Inland application give him/her `implied status' for the duration of the...ride.

Good luck!

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
Ponga said:
Ain't it pretty; 17 months just to reach AIP...if you're lucky.

The good news, is that a person that submits (or has already submitted) an Inland application and maintains their status, will now receive an OWP [if they apply for one] in ~ 4 months. This is thanks to the pilot program that CIC launched last December. For many, it makes the Inland `pill' a little easier to swallow.

Once the OWP is issued, the applicant no longer needs to renew/extend their visitor stay, because the OWP and Inland application give him/her `implied status' for the duration of the...ride.

Good luck!
thanks Ponga, but is this open work permit possible when another open work permit has reached it's duration? in other words is it possible to extend being on work permits after spending all this time already on an expiring open work permit?

if a spousal application is put in say in June and the current open work permit is due to expire next year May, when should one apply for a new work permit, noticing the 4 month wait you mention for that?