Passport Req..
02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-06-2015
LANDED..........
1 Husband ETA - August 1, 2015!
janicenewk said:
Hi,

I am still trying to get through the application to sponsor my common-law partner from the UK, and have a few questions:

1. Do we need to sign and send in the statutory declaration of common-law union? the application guideline said we only need to sign only if my partner is a co-signer. He isnt a co-signer.

2. SHOULD he be a co-signer? What is the benefit of having a co-signer?

3. Does he need to get a medical? Can this be done by any doctor?? It says "panel physician)

4. On the bottom of the Documents Checklist for the Sponsor, it has a section on: SPONSERED person, saying:
-originals of police clearances (IS that just a criminal record check?)

help!! I keep thinking I am almost done the application, and keep finding out more info i need to include!

-proof of medical examination of the sponsored person
Yes it doesn't sound like you have a good grasp of this, and it can be very confusing. There are multiple guides to go with multiple forms and there are multiple checklists. Take your time and read over everything with a fine tooth comb. The guides will help but you can't expect to get it done fast. If it's really confusing for you look into a lawyer or consultant

janicenewk

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the help (and yes it is confusing, definitely not as easy as just "sitting down and reading through the guides", thats why I am asking questions).

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
janicenewk said:
Thanks for the help (and yes it is confusing, definitely not as easy as just "sitting down and reading through the guides", thats why I am asking questions).
The guides will help you tremendously in getting through the process, so yes, part of it is just as easy as that.

You cannot have a cosigner for a spousal sponsorship application, so do not sign anything about a cosigner. Some of the immigration forms are used for multiple types of visas, so sometimes certain parts don't pertain to a spousal sponsorship. Only a spouse can be a cosigner, so of course they can't sponsor themself as a PR to Canada....

A medical exam is required and must be done upfront. A medical exam can't be done by any doctor. There is a list of Panel Physicians around the world that are accepted to complete the medical exam, so search for the doctors in your country that can complete the exam. It is simple to search on the cic website for the approved doctors.

Police clearance are the police checks. U need to look at your country specific guide for the exact police check u need. Some countries require very specific police checks so u need to read your country specific guide to find out what is expected from your region.

You will have better understanding when you sit and read all the guides in their entirety, including the region specific guide, uninterrupted. Hopefully once you've done that, some of your questions will be answered, then use this forum to help you understand the more confusing bits. Good luck.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
janicenewk said:
You will need a police check from the U.K. www.acpo.police.uk . It is 10 working days not including dates of receipt or dispatch at the cost of 45.00 pounds . You will need two witnesses to sign paper work and a passport photo. Check out their website . Go to the London thread you will find more info.

jesmithers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
As per your previous posts, you aren't actually applying as conjugal but as married, right?
Right! At first we were thinking of applying for conjugal back in the fall but we got married and will applying for spouse sponsorship :)

tishness said:
Do as much as you can and a good variety. I was worried that too much will look suspect like you are trying too hard - bit no, the more the better. And as your process goes on, you can send in some additional updates with pics of time passed since your application was sent. If you are trying to prove conjugal - having joint assets, being beneficiaries on each other's insurance, having proof of residing at the same address are vital. If you have some good reliable people who can write a testing to your relationship, include that too!
Thank you so much! I didn't realize we can continue to send in photos as we go along. We are planning a honeymoon in April but want to send our application ASAP so this helps a lot! :D

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
jesmithers said:
Right! At first we were thinking of applying for conjugal back in the fall but we got married and will applying for spouse sponsorship :)

Thank you so much! I didn't realize we can continue to send in photos as we go along. We are planning a honeymoon in April but want to send our application ASAP so this helps a lot! :D

No you don't send in additional photos or anything unless they ask for them. They will determine the genuineness of the relationship and if they have any doubts they will ask for additional proof. For the honey moon send in copies of any airline tickets anything that you have, but to be honest you are going next month. If i was you i would wait and file after the honeymoon . If the ask you for more proof that could take another month or two ,so better off starting with a strong application.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
tishness said:
Do as much as you can and a good variety. I was worried that too much will look suspect like you are trying too hard - bit no, the more the better. And as your process goes on, you can send in some additional updates with pics of time passed since your application was sent. If you are trying to prove conjugal - having joint assets, being beneficiaries on each other's insurance, having proof of residing at the same address are vital. If you have some good reliable people who can write a testing to your relationship, include that too!
You can't apply as conjugal if your living at the same address . Conjugal is when one person can not live with another person . E.g in the Philippines a married women can not live with another man even if the relationship with her ex husband is over,therefore can't get married and cant live with her new partner . And no you don't just send in additional pics. Start off with a strong application .If they need more proof then you send in the additional photos etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jesmithers said:
As said above, don't send any additional proof unless requested; there really is no need. As for the advice to delay your app until after the honeymoon, I strongly disagree. You've been together for over 7 years, your app will be fine, so don't delay sending it for just a few more pics.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
canuck_in_uk said:
As said above, don't send any additional proof unless requested; there really is no need. As for the advice to delay your app until after the honeymoon, I strongly disagree. You've been together for over 7 years, your app will be fine, so don't delay sending it for just a few more pics.

Agree didn't realize you had been together 7 years ..yup go do it now .Thanks Canuck for pointing that out. ;)

tuhiali

May 1, 2014
If someone already got the visa but not landed yet,meantime got married (before landing), what will be the procedure of adding wife with the file (as relationship status got changed). Some people say immigrant visa need to be returned in this case!!
Can someone provide me detail in this regard and a link with full detail procedure will really help.....

Mrs.Christmas

Feb 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-09-2015
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Re-medical requested 19-11-2015
Med's Done....
upfront 03-10-2014, remedical completed 30-11-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Requested 04-12-2015, Arrived at VO 10-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 12-12-2015
Can someone tell me whether notes from your first sponsorship can be ordered even after the case/file is cancelled?

I am doing a second sponsorship (for the same spouse) and it's just started being processed now, but I think it will be helpful if I got to see the notes from the previous file.

Anyone know?
And if it's possible to order notes from the previous file, how do I order them please?

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
24-Feb-2014, SponsorshipApproved 01-Apr-2014
File Transfer...
01-Apr-2014 Officially rec'd Beijing 24-May-2014
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2013 "Medical Results rec'd" 01-Apr-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
Mrs.Christmas said:
Can someone tell me whether notes from your first sponsorship can be ordered even after the case/file is cancelled?

I am doing a second sponsorship (for the same spouse) and it's just started being processed now, but I think it will be helpful if I got to see the notes from the previous file.

Anyone know?
And if it's possible to order notes from the previous file, how do I order them please?
My understanding is that the GCMS notes are on permanent record... When I first ordered the notes on my sponsorship stage of recent, all my records from the past (via my client number) were included, back to my own PR in 2008

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
DM: Mar 20 2016
draxz1289 said:
Congrats on your wedding.

Looks like you are missing couple of applicant (wife's) document.
You are missing
Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
India [IMM 3904] (PDF, 388.17 KB) - which has the country specific travel history document and a secondary checklist.

Check out this link which has all the necessary forms for the sponsor (you) and the applicant (wife)
http: //www .cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp#immigrate

As you can see from the link part one is all the forms for you and part two is your wife's
Thank you so much draxz1289 and Garyy2008. With your help me and my wife have almost completed the application form. We were stuck with a few curveballs and hopefully you can help us out.

1) In the application form that my wife has filled out she is not sure if she has to fill out details of her parents and siblings in the Additional Family Information form (IMM 5406E). As I understand the definition of family members as per CIC is: [quote]Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children [/quote] . Its our first marriage so we dont have any children and ex spouses.

2) In the application form that my wife has filled out we have not included the Additional Dependents Form (IMM 0008)..again for the same reason - Its our first marriage so we dont have any children and ex spouses.

3) The most time consuming form (Sponsored spouse questinaaire - 5490E): question #24 about Maintaining Contact asks "Has your Sponsor visited you during the period of your relationship" - Ours was an arranged marriage - I visited my home country, got married, spent 3 weeks with my wife and came back to Canada. So our relationship started once I visited my home country to get married. Not sure if my wife should answer Yes or No to the above question.

In the same form there is another confusing question for my situation: "Have you and your sponsor lived together"? I guess we did for the 3 weeks I stayed after our marriage.

4) The forms I have filled I had a couple of questions - In the Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM5540) in question 5 I chose post grad studies - in the number of years completed I put 18 - is this correct or should I be putting in the years it took me to complete my masters which was 2.

Same form Questions 8 "Have you resided in countries other than Canada" - I became a naturalized canadian citizen a few years ago. Should I be answering yes to this question and list the country of my birth and the the time I resided there till I migareted to Canada?

5) When paying the 1090 fees online I have to chose from either •Spouse and Common-Law Partner in Canada Class or •Family Class. I think the former is for Inland application. I will be chosing Family class but just want to make sure.

6) We are both confused about the co-signer part.. Is my wife going to be the co-signer on the forms or am I going to be co-signer? In the documents checklist Question 14 askes for a photocpy of my marriage certificate if I have a co-signer and she is my spouse? Its confusing to me what they mean by this.

Thanks you in advance guys!!!

ymserver

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
Doc's Request.
12-08-2015 (HK Police cert)
AOR Received.
05-03-2015
File Transfer...
10-03-2015 (SA); 30-03-2015 (AOR2);
Med's Request
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015 (re-med)
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
02-11-2015 (DM2), no PPR
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2015 (COPR)
missmywife said:
Thank you so much draxz1289 and Garyy2008. With your help me and my wife have almost completed the application form. We were stuck with a few curveballs and hopefully you can help us out.

1) In the application form that my wife has filled out she is not sure if she has to fill out details of her parents and siblings in the Additional Family Information form (IMM 5406E). As I understand the definition of family members as per CIC is: [quote]Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children . Its our first marriage so we dont have any children and ex spouses.

2) In the application form that my wife has filled out we have not included the Additional Dependents Form (IMM 0008)..again for the same reason - Its our first marriage so we dont have any children and ex spouses.

3) The most time consuming form (Sponsored spouse questinaaire - 5490E): question #24 about Maintaining Contact asks "Has your Sponsor visited you during the period of your relationship" - Ours was an arranged marriage - I visited my home country, got married, spent 3 weeks with my wife and came back to Canada. So our relationship started once I visited my home country to get married. Not sure if my wife should answer Yes or No to the above question.

In the same form there is another confusing question for my situation: "Have you and your sponsor lived together"? I guess we did for the 3 weeks I stayed after our marriage.

4) The forms I have filled I had a couple of questions - In the Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM5540) in question 5 I chose post grad studies - in the number of years completed I put 18 - is this correct or should I be putting in the years it took me to complete my masters which was 2.

Same form Questions 8 "Have you resided in countries other than Canada" - I became a naturalized canadian citizen a few years ago. Should I be answering yes to this question and list the country of my birth and the the time I resided there till I migareted to Canada?

5) When paying the 1090 fees online I have to chose from either •Spouse and Common-Law Partner in Canada Class or •Family Class. I think the former is for Inland application. I will be chosing Family class but just want to make sure.

6) We are both confused about the co-signer part.. Is my wife going to be the co-signer on the forms or am I going to be co-signer? In the documents checklist Question 14 askes for a photocpy of my marriage certificate if I have a co-signer and she is my spouse? Its confusing to me what they mean by this.

Thanks you in advance guys!!!
1) I assume your wife is the applicant. Then on the form she has to fill out her parents and siblings' info (Section A and C; N/A for Section B since applicant does not have children as you said). In your case, only the applicant has to fill this form. You don't need to fill another separate form(s) for her parents/ siblings if that's your question.

2) No children then no need to submit the additional dep 0008 form.

3) I am not sure how to approach this q for your case.
If you did live with her for those 3 weeks, I would believe you can write that you two lived together for those 3 weeks.

4) Put all years including elementary and high school, so yes 18 years in your case. (confirmed by my immig consultant)

5) Shouldn't it be $1040 under "Family Class" which includes Sponsorship application (per application) $75, Principal applicant $475, and Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490?

6) I believe in your case there is no co-signer. I think co-signer is for the situation where you are sponsoring a dependent. (Those forms are generic)

OneLoveTwoHearts

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 30, 2014
AOR Received.
Sept-2014
File Transfer...
Sept-2014
Med's Request
Sept-2014
Med's Done....
Oct-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 2014 Passport Sent....: Feb 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
April 12, 2015
Question for anyone who LANDED by driving through at the boarder from the U.S.

1. Can you be LANDED by driving through the boarder?

2. Are there any fees involved for bringing your electronics? (Laptop, iPad, game system, etc?)