+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

cobrien2012

Mar 11, 2015
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in the UK. My husband is British and we have a baby girl who was born here in the UK (we are awaiting her Canadian Citizenship certificate). We would like to move to Canada in the near future. My husband is a skilled carpenter and has been for at least 15 years. As I am not working in Canada I don't think I can sponsor him because I cannot provide evidence that I can support him there. Can my parents (his in-laws) sponsor him? Are there other avenues? How long will it take? Can we move there and then start the process? So many questions and I'm not sure where to start!

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cobrien2012 said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in the UK. My husband is British and we have a baby girl who was born here in the UK (we are awaiting her Canadian Citizenship certificate). We would like to move to Canada in the near future. My husband is a skilled carpenter and has been for at least 15 years. As I am not working in Canada I don't think I can sponsor him because I cannot provide evidence that I can support him there. Can my parents (his in-laws) sponsor him? Are there other avenues? How long will it take? Can we move there and then start the process? So many questions and I'm not sure where to start!

Thanks
There is no minimum income required to sponsor your husband. You must simply explain to CIC how you and he will be supported, which can include a letter from a family member verifying their financial support for you.

Your parents cannot sponsor him, but you certainly can. Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now by submitting the Outland application package. Processing times vary, so just check the Outland UK thread(s) here to get an idea of the current times.

Good luck!

stretchiee

Jan 29, 2015
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this situation:

I am the sponsor (Canadian) and my partner, the PA, is from Spain.

I am a December 5, 2014, applicant. I received AOR February 24. Logged onto ECAS a couple days later and it states what it says for most people:

Sponsorship: Application Received on December 5, 2014 Permanent Residency: Application Received on December 5, 2014.

I logged on a week or so later because I have not heard about SA and now under permanent residency it states that "Medicals have been received," but everything else is the same.

I called CIC yesterday to find out what was going on with the application and why I haven't heard anything about SA and the agent said that the last note on our application was from March 3, stating the application was sent for review by another officer. The agent didn't seem to know what this meant, does anyone here have any idea?

tishness

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
AOR Received.
Part 1: 23-01-2015 Part 2: 24-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-01-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-06-2015
LANDED..........
1 Husband ETA - August 1, 2015!
stretchiee said:
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this situation:

I am the sponsor (Canadian) and my partner, the PA, is from Spain.

I am a December 5, 2014, applicant. I received AOR February 24. Logged onto ECAS a couple days later and it states what it says for most people:

Sponsorship: Application Received on December 5, 2014 Permanent Residency: Application Received on December 5, 2014.

I logged on a week or so later because I have not heard about SA and now under permanent residency it states that "Medicals have been received," but everything else is the same.

I called CIC yesterday to find out what was going on with the application and why I haven't heard anything about SA and the agent said that the last note on our application was from March 3, stating the application was sent for review by another officer. The agent didn't seem to know what this meant, does anyone here have any idea?
Your SA can take over 100 days, I assume you are applying Outland? Mine took from September to January 23rd. If you want more info, you can order GSCM Notes - see info on this forum on there is a YouTube video, this may offer some more insight, but it takes a few weeks.

cobrien2012

Mar 11, 2015
Ponga said:
There is no minimum income required to sponsor your husband. You must simply explain to CIC how you and he will be supported, which can include a letter from a family member verifying their financial support for you.

Your parents cannot sponsor him, but you certainly can. Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now by submitting the Outland application package. Processing times vary, so just check the Outland UK thread(s) here to get an idea of the current times.

Good luck!
Thanks for your quick response. I just looked at the CIC website and found:

"If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad."

I am a permanent resident of the UK....do we have other options?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
cobrien2012 said:
Thanks for your quick response. I just looked at the CIC website and found:

"If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad."

I am a permanent resident of the UK....do we have other options?
If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada you can't sponsor someone while living abroad. If you are a Candian citizen but currently a PR of another country, that is perfectly fine. You will just have to prove that u intend to move back to Canada once your spouse gains their PR.

Are you a Canadian citizen?

cobrien2012

Mar 11, 2015
tink23 said:
If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada you can't sponsor someone while living abroad. If you are a Candian citizen but currently a PR of another country, that is perfectly fine. You will just have to prove that u intend to move back to Canada once your spouse gains their PR.

Are you a Canadian citizen?
I am a Canadian citizen, I've been living in the UK for 4.5 years and have gained permanent residency (indefinite leave to remain) here. My husband is British and we have a 5 month old baby, who was born in the UK, we are waiting for her certificate of Canadian Citizenship.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
cobrien2012 said:
I am a Canadian citizen, I've been living in the UK for 4.5 years and have gained permanent residency (indefinite leave to remain) here. My husband is British and we have a 5 month old baby, who was born in the UK, we are waiting for her certificate of Canadian Citizenship.
You can sponsor your husband from the UK. You'll just have to show that you intend to live in Canada. You will also show that you will be able to support yourselves and not go on welfare, but that applies to every sponsorship.

Note that you won't be sponsoring your daughter as she is already a citizen and can come and go as she pleases as soon as she has the correct documents.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
cobrien2012 said:
Then there is no issue with you being a PR of the UK and sponsoring your husband. It is Canadian PRs that can't sponsor a spouse while living abroad.

Show your intent to reside in Canada when your husband is granted his Canadian PR and you shouldn't have an issue.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2015/03/11/spousal-immigration-processing-times-cause-frustration/

sierose

Mar 9, 2015
Hello Leon,

Can you help me, please

My first stage of spousal was denied and i dont know what to do anymore...

do i need to go back to my country?

how can i appeal...where do i need to get a form to appeal..

thanks,
sierose

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sierose said:
Hello Leon,

Can you help me, please

thanks,
sierose
While you wait for a reply from Leon, I'll offer my opinion:

Since your husband did not qualify to be your sponsor, due to him receiving some form of Social Assistance, as you mentioned in another thread, compounded by submitting an Inland application (which does not allow you to appeal), you probably have no real choice but to return to your home country.

There's a very good chance that CIC will inform the CBSA about the sponsor refusal. This doesn't necessarily mean that CBSA will begin removal action against you right away, but I'd guess that they will certainly know about your situation and will not just look the other way...for too long.

Good luck!

nervousme

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Canada- Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2012
Med's Done....
26-02-2013, Re-done Sept 2014
Interview........
Decision made Mar 09, 2015
sierose said:
Hello Leon,

Can you help me, please

thanks,
sierose
I read on another forum that your spouse was on social assistance which is the reason for the denial.
They say that you are not allowed to appeal cases if you are applying inland, but from my own experience it doesn't hurt to write the office where you applied. It can't hurt to try.
But just know that since you did apply an inland the odds are against you for an appeal.
As for you returning home, I am not sure, Maybe someone else knows.

Sorry to hear, but good luck

stretchiee

Jan 29, 2015
tishness said:
Your SA can take over 100 days, I assume you are applying Outland? Mine took from September to January 23rd. If you want more info, you can order GSCM Notes - see info on this forum on there is a YouTube video, this may offer some more insight, but it takes a few weeks.

I realize that since the website states processing times are roughly 82 days atm. What I'm really wondering is why is says "Medical results received" when I haven't been approved as Sponsor and thus his PR application not transferred to another VO. Wouldn't medical results be received once transferred?

sierose

Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for the reply i appreciate it Leon..

But how about he gets off at income assistance and give them some annual income tax

showing he can support me..is that possible..the letter say that we regret to tell you that you dont meet the requirements to sponsor

for some reason,reciept of income assistance...how about if he gets off income assistance and give them a annual tax return..please leon.

Sierose