+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sniper23

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
I am a jamaican i work in canada as a foreign worker..i am been sponsor by my wife shes a pr holder in canada.. we got married in aug2014.i apply for pr in oct2014 i got a email from cic dec2014 that they receive my package from nov3.2014...how long now before earin from them again

kona_boy

Feb 1, 2015
tink23 said:
You can't really remedy the situation besides being completely honest and telling CIC everything. You will have to tell them that you were in Canada and that you were working illegally past the expiration date of your working holiday visa. Don't leave any of it out, as not mentioning the overstay is what could cause you more issues! They will frown but look past the overstay and illegal working if you are upfront about it, but if u were to leave it out or lie, it will cause u huge issues and u will then be labelled as misrepresented yourself, which is grounds for refusal (and will cause u more issues if u apply for PR in future years).

So be upfront and honest about everything regarding your overstay and illegal work! And though maybe they might look more closely into your application, at the end of the day, the PR should be granted. Since you're from Australia, there is typically less worry about marriage of convenience, so as long as everything else is straight forward, in the end, you will most likely still be approved for PR.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Should I contact CIC now or explain it in the actual application? I would never try and cover it up as I was working and it wouldn't be hard for them to figure it out. It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out where to start, like most visa issues!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kona_boy said:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Should I contact CIC now or explain it in the actual application? I would never try and cover it up as I was working and it wouldn't be hard for them to figure it out. It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out where to start, like most visa issues!
Contacting CIC now would serve no purpose. Your application is the place where you need to explain this.

kona_boy

Feb 1, 2015
scylla said:
Contacting CIC now would serve no purpose. Your application is the place where you need to explain this.
Thank you very much. This is the answer I've been trying to figure out for weeks now.

If there's anything else I should I know I'll be happy to hear it.

I'm sure I'll have questions through the application to bother you guys with, but for now thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated.

sherobee

Feb 1, 2015
I'm having PR and working in mississauga,Canada.
I got married on Dec-20-2014. I need to sponser by Wife who is Indian and living in India.
1. How much time typically it will take to sponsor spouse from India.
2. Will it be advisable, first apply for Sponsorship(PR) and then apply for visiting visa as well because PR-Sponsorship will take time.

I'll highly appreciate for your reply.

Thanks,
Sherob

Ghanaboy

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Acra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
Doc's Request.
13-12-2013
Med's Request
24-04-2014
Med's Done....
29-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-02-2015
LANDED..........
22-02-2015
sherobee said:
I got married on Dec-20-2014. I need to sponser by Wife who is Indian and living in India.
2. Will it be advisable, first apply for Sponsorship(PR) and then apply for visiting visa as well because PR-Sponsorship will take time.

Thanks,
Sherob
1. U can check the processing times for each visa office on cic website
2.which ever way u will do it might work,if u apply for outland which is a bit faster then she has to go back on a later date to provide relevant informations or probably when needed for interview

stavan2003

Jan 31, 2015
Hello Experts

Have a couple of queries as mentioned below. Hope you can help me.

IMM5406E - Present Address - My parents are currently at a different address than the one mentioned in their passport as they are working in a different country. We still own the house mentioned in the passport, but it is now rented out. Should we mention the address as the one on passport or the current address ?

IMM5490 - Q28 - Are you currently living with your sponsor ?
My wife (sponsor) is currently staying with me and she hasn't planned the date of her return to Canada. So what should we mention Yes or No. If we mention Yes, what should be provide as the date of return (which is not yet fixed) ? Also in the "Present address" of my sponsor should I mention our current address or her permanent address in Canada ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
stavan2003 said:
Hello Experts

Have a couple of queries as mentioned below. Hope you can help me.

IMM5406E - Present Address - My parents are currently at a different address than the one mentioned in their passport as they are working in a different country. We still own the house mentioned in the passport, but it is now rented out. Should we mention the address as the one on passport or the current address ?

IMM5490 - Q28 - Are you currently living with your sponsor ?
My wife (sponsor) is currently staying with me and she hasn't planned the date of her return to Canada. So what should we mention Yes or No. If we mention Yes, what should be provide as the date of return (which is not yet fixed) ? Also in the "Present address" of my sponsor should I mention our current address or her permanent address in Canada ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
1.) your parents address is where they currently are, not a house they own but are renting out. It doesn't matter if their address is written on their passport.

2.) your spouse is residing with you. If in a few months she moves back to Canada, she can update the visa office that she has moved back to Canada and update her address.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
sherobee said:

Thanks,
Sherob
1. Its now taking 85+ for the first stage, after which its transferred to the visa office. The Delhi office is talking from 5-8 months for PR
2. Yes it is advisable to apply for PR then apply for visit visa. As you might know its hard to get a visit visa (not impossible) so even if it gets rejected it wont affect the PR process after you have applied.

beans on toast

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
Sent With App
LANDED..........
16-08-2016
Hello all,
After the disappointment of the express draw, which i was hoping to get PR through my own means as i have been in Canada for 2 1/2yrs, i am deciding to make my claim through the sponsorship route - my fiancee is a Canadian.
My PGWP is expiring soon, and as a UK citizen, i am trying to work out :
- is it better to apply for the sponsorship from within Canada (inland), although this takes upto 2yrs, but they now allow you to apply for a 1yr open bridging work permit,
OR
- apply to the UK office (outland), where it takes 1yr, but i cannot work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Factors include: not wanting to leave (obviously!), do i have to post/go to the UK to apply (i dont want to!), how likely is getting the OBWP (hopefully)

Thanks,
BOT

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beans on toast said:
Hello all,
After the disappointment of the express draw, which i was hoping to get PR through my own means as i have been in Canada for 2 1/2yrs, i am deciding to make my claim through the sponsorship route - my fiancee is a Canadian.
My PGWP is expiring soon, and as a UK citizen, i am trying to work out :
- is it better to apply for the sponsorship from within Canada (inland), although this takes upto 2yrs, but they now allow you to apply for a 1yr open bridging work permit,
OR
- apply to the UK office (outland), where it takes 1yr, but i cannot work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Factors include: not wanting to leave (obviously!), do i have to post/go to the UK to apply (i dont want to!), how likely is getting the OBWP (hopefully)

Thanks,
BOT
Since your PGWP cannot be extended, don't look at the OWP that is now available (much sooner) for an Inland applicant as a BOWP...it's a brand new OWP that is issued (within 4 months, according to CIC) after they acknowledge receiving your inland application. Apparently it is automatically generated once CIC sees that you have an Inland application submitted, so that, in and of itself, is the approval.

Having said that, I believe the Outland PR time for you would be closer to 6-8 months, based on the UK Outland threads. You can apply Outland while remaining in Canada, as long as you maintain/convert your status from worker to visitor. If your PGWP is valid for another 6 months or so and you can get the Outland application together ASAP, it might be worth considering.

Good luck!

beans on toast

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
Sent With App
LANDED..........
16-08-2016
Ponga said:
Since your PGWP cannot be extended, don't look at the OWP that is now available (much sooner) for an Inland applicant as a BOWP...it's a brand new OWP that is issued (within 4 months, according to CIC) after they acknowledge receiving your inland application. Apparently it is automatically generated once CIC sees that you have an Inland application submitted, so that, in and of itself, is the approval.

Having said that, I believe the Outland PR time for you would be closer to 6-8 months, based on the UK Outland threads. You can apply Outland while remaining in Canada, as long as you maintain/convert your status from worker to visitor. If your PGWP is valid for another 6 months or so and you can get the Outland application together ASAP, it might be worth considering.

Good luck!
[/

Thanks for the info - this support network on here is fantastic. Much better than anything the CIC gives!

WackS

Jul 18, 2014
Good day to everyone.. I need advice on our present situation. I am a PR since Sept. 2013, my girlfriend (for 9yrs) arrived here last Nov. 2014 as a caregiver under the sponsorship program but her employer released her upon arrival, she began looking for new employers to sponsor her but to no avail (maybe because LMIA is too expensive?) :eek:
Anyway, we got married last Jan. 17 and was advice that I could sponsor her instead of looking for a new employer. ::)
Any advice or suggestions about the sponsorship?!? :'(
Thanks in advance.. ;D

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
WackS said:
Good day to everyone.. I need advice on our present situation. I am a PR since Sept. 2013, my girlfriend (for 9yrs) arrived here last Nov. 2014 as a caregiver under the sponsorship program but her employer released her upon arrival, she began looking for new employers to sponsor her but to no avail (maybe because LMIA is too expensive?) :eek:
Anyway, we got married last Jan. 17 and was advice that I could sponsor her instead of looking for a new employer. ::)
Any advice or suggestions about the sponsorship?!? :'(
Thanks in advance.. ;D
Read the very first post of this thread to get a good overview and understanding of the basics involved with a spousal sponsorship. Then go to the Cic website and read the guides for your sponsorship (a little different depending if u choose OUTLAND or inland sponsorship). Once you have done these two things then you will have a better understanding to start filling out the forms and gathering required documents. If you, at that point, have a more specific question you can ask it here in the forum. Here is a link to the cic website and forms. Good luck http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

redrose786

Nov 27, 2014
can somebody tell me who i can translate a permanent residence card of Saudi in to English?
and how much is the cost and how soon can they do it...thanks