+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
My wife came to Canada as a visitor in MAY 2014, in the meantime her spousal application was under process (Applied in March 2014) from UAE, ABU DHABI as she was a UAE RESIDENT. she went back to UAE in Oct 2014 to collect her Immigrant Visa and landed in Canada as Permanent Resident in NOV 2014.

Now the question is, a visitor can not come to live in Canada because you are only visiting the country and should not have any intention to live there. So, you can only live in Canada (or any country) once you become a resident of that country. With this understanding (when she will be applying for the citizenship), if asked " When did you come to live in Canada?" Shouldn't it be NOV 2014? ......... if the question is " When did you first visit/came to Canada??? ...then then answer should be May 2014.

This is what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks !!

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Spousal application applied for my wife in Abu Dhabi: March 2014

Received email from Canadian Embassy Abu Dhabi to submit the passport: Oct 2014

Passport Submitted: Oct 2014

Visa stamped: Oct 2014

Wife landed as PR: Nov 2014

My two cents ....... It is a common understanding that once you have applied for spousal sponsorship, you cannot apply for the visit visa for your spouse and she/he can not visit Canada and live with you while your application is in process ...... this is absolutely wrong ..... After applying for spousal sponsorship for my wife ...I immediately applied for her visit visa and I attached a letter with the visit visa application mentioning honestly that my wife's immigration application is under process and since the process takes time my wife would like to visit Canada and see me and there is no reason why she will stay in Canada more than the authorized days because her immigration application is already underway.

Applied for visit visa: April 2004 ... Got 2 years multiple visit visa in 3 weeks ...... she came to Canada in May 2014 and only went back to UAE in Oct 2014 to get her Immigration Visa stamped and came back to Canada as PR in couple of weeks.

So, I will say don't wait and give it a try ....... it has no effect on your spousal application and you can live together while your application is in process.

Hope it will help.

Many thanks!!

michaella1964

Nov 16, 2012
calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2013
AOR Received.
03-04-2013
File Transfer...
AIP 21-01-2014
Med's Request
23-01-2014
march2014 said:
I am so sorry to hear about your situation, that's really frustrating. I guess our papers really depends upon how well the assigned visa officer can do much about it. Have you tried calling them? There's a customer care hotline that you can contact to inquire about your application status. They will surely entertain your concern knowing that I guess your processing time is already beyond the inland processing time? You can also send inquiries about your application through Email.
I know it is so depressing to see others who received their Visas in just a short notice. I felt the same way too although we just applied last year, march 2014. I'm hoping to get an answered prayer soon.
Don't lose hope and try to contact CIC.
thanks for ur reply we did contact cic call center and as far as they can see nothing as been updated or active since July 2014 wen they received my husbands passport copies,but she did mention the declaration of depends and that the person that has the file will probably ask about hat child,now we explained we declared his child but there isnt any communication in about 5 years and ,the agent mentioned that they will probably ask for a medical and other stuff and that is probably why theer isnt any activity on the application so i stated why havent they contacted us regarding this and what can we do since there isnt any information or communication with the mother or any other relative of this child,now my issue is this,should we send a declaration letter stating that we have no up to date information or communication with the mother of the child ect,or should we wait we did mention on the original application of declaration for dependents that this child will not immigrated to Canada with us at any time .thanks for ur replies.

fadishek

Mar 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2004
Doc's Request.
20-7-2009
File Transfer...
16-06-2009
Med's Request
19-10-2010
Med's Done....
27-10-2010
Passport Req..
27-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2011
Hi friends,
I've been in love with my spouse for almost two years. I left my home country and settled in canada. then we got married while I'm here and she is back there at my home country. I have every legal and certified documents confirming our marriage (including Governal Marriage certificate that is registered at the national civil record at my country as well as Family book)... but I wasn't able to attend the wedding due to security troubles back home)... Have you guessed?!!! yes!!! I'm from Syria...
Now I want to apply to sponsor her.. and I was wondering if these documents would be enough? I have tons of watsapp, viber and skype communications between us.. but unfortunately no photos together at all :(
what if I send photos of my spouse with our parents together? would that be enough?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
fadishek said:
Hi friends,
I've been in love with my spouse for almost two years. I left my home country and settled in canada. then we got married while I'm here and she is back there at my home country. I have every legal and certified documents confirming our marriage (including Governal Marriage certificate that is registered at the national civil record at my country as well as Family book)... but I wasn't able to attend the wedding due to security troubles back home)... Have you guessed?!!! yes!!! I'm from Syria...
Now I want to apply to sponsor her.. and I was wondering if these documents would be enough? I have tons of watsapp, viber and skype communications between us.. but unfortunately no photos together at all :(
what if I send photos of my spouse with our parents together? would that be enough?
Im sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but do u mean to say that u were married while u were in Canada and your spouse was in Syria??

If that is indeed what you're saying, then the marriage would not be legal because marriage by proxy is not legal in Canada and if you were in Canada when such a marriage took place then you're not legally married in the eyes of Canada.

If this is not what youre saying then I'm sorry for misunderstanding and perhaps u can explain your situation again a little differently so that maybe I'm able to give u a better answer.

Ghanaboy

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Acra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
Doc's Request.
13-12-2013
Med's Request
24-04-2014
Med's Done....
29-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-02-2015
LANDED..........
22-02-2015
someone pls help me,is there any other form i need to submitt aside the imm8 ?cos its requesting for updated family imformation which i understand could be different from the imm8

YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA(S) APPEAR(S) READY TO BE ISSUED, IF THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE IN YOUR FAMILY CONFIGURATION. IF THERE HAVE BEEN ANY CHANGES, PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE BEFORE PROCEEDING.

PASSPORT(S)

You are asked to submit your passport(s) and documentation BY COURIER within 15 days. We recommend DHL courier, using a pre-paid return envelope.

OR

You may also use the services of VFS Global Ghana by following the instructions on their website at: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/ghana/ under the “Passport Transmission Services” section.

Applicants residing in Nigeria (PASSPORT SUBMISSION ONLY)

You may use the services of VFS Global Nigeria by following the instructions on their website at:

http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Nigeria/ under the “Passport Transmission Services” section. If you received a letter requesting additional documents, please use a courier service.

Please note that submission of passport(s) in person will not be accepted at the Canadian High Commission.

Important: Please note that we will not respond to queries in this regard: we ask for your patience while we prepare your documents.

The visa(s) will be valid until the expiry of your medical results or until the expiry of your passports, whichever is earliest.

As the validity of your visa(s) has been already established and is limited to a fixed date, it CANNOT be extended under any circumstances. We therefore urge you to read and follow carefully the instructions below without delay:

PLEASE NOTE: Failure to provide the required travel document(s) within 15 days from the date of this letter will lead us to conclude that you are no longer interested in immigrating to Canada and your application will be refused based on the information that is available in your file. Once the application is refused, you would be able to reapply, but you would be required to submit a new application and pay a new processing fee. The new application would be assessed according to the Canadian Immigration legislations in force at the time that the new application was filed.

Please note that we will strive to meet the foregoing service standards. There may, however, be occasions when we cannot issue your visas within these standards. Accordingly, you are advised not to commit to any travel plans, purchase tickets, or take any irrevocable action such as selling property, or resign employment until you have received your immigrant visas.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTATION WILL BE REQUIRED TO ISSUE YOUR VISA:

☐ Updated family information: you must advise us of any change in your marital status or family composition. All family members must be listed on your IMM8 application form. Failure to comply may result in a delay in the issuance of your visa.

☐ PASSPORTS. Check that:

There is an individual passport for each family member accompanying you to Canada. Children must have their own passports.

Each passport is valid for at least 6 months from the time you come for the visa.

Each passport has sufficient free pages (two required for our visa, plus pages for any transit visa)

☐ TWO (2) PHOTOS FOR EACH FAMILY MEMBER These photographs must be taken with a WHITE BACKGROUND, not be stapled, glued or pinned (you can paperclip or attach them using an envelope). The photographs must be unblemished as they will be used to produce your Permanent Resident Card once you are in Canada. Photograph specifications are included with this letter.

PLEASE INCLUDE A COPY OF THIS LETTER IN YOUR ENVELOPE.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Regards,

Immigration Section(RA)

Photograph Specifications

The two photos must:

have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8 x 1 3/4″) finished size;

measure between 25 mm and 30 mm (1” and 1 1/5”) from chin to crown (top of head);

have been taken within the last 12 months to ensure an up-to-date likeness;

have the date the photo was taken written directly on the back of one of the photo;

be clear and well defined;

be taken against a plain light background without shadows; and

present a front view of the person's head, showing the full face in the middle of the photo

Note that photos may be either black and white or colour. Religious head coverings may be worn, as long as the full facial features are visible. Non-tinted or tinted prescription glasses may be worn as long as the eyes are clearly visible and not hidden by glare on the lens. Sunglasses are not acceptable. The face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression and with the mouth closed.

Height and Eye Colour Chart

Please list height and eye colour for yourself and all accompanying family members below.

Eye colour choices: Blue, Green, Gray, Black, Brown, Hazel or Other.

Principal Applicant

Name: ___________________________________­­­­­_________ Date of Birth: __________________

HEIGHT: ___________CM or ________ FEET ________INCHES EYE COLOUR: __________

Spouse/ Common-Law Partner

Name:_____________________________________________ Date of Birth:__________________

HEIGHT: ___________CM or ________ FEET ________INCHES EYE COLOUR: _________

Dependent

Name:_____________________________________________ Date of Birth:__________________

Dependent

HEIGHT: ___________CM or ________ FEET ________INCHES EYE COLOUR: _________

Dependent

Dependent

Name:_____________________________________________ Date of Birth:_____________ _

[/quote]

Divyanjali

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
14 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
19 Jan 2015
Med's Request
Remed 21st september
Med's Done....
1 August 2014
Interview........
Inprocess since 14th august
shahmad said:
Spousal application applied for my wife in Abu Dhabi: March 2014

Received email from Canadian Embassy Abu Dhabi to submit the passport: Oct 2014

Passport Submitted: Oct 2014

Visa stamped: Oct 2014

Wife landed as PR: Nov 2014
Hii i guess you are lucky or its the uae vo wich considers such cases ..it all depends on ur countrys vo!!!

My two cents ....... It is a common understanding that once you have applied for spousal sponsorship, you cannot apply for the visit visa for your spouse and she/he can not visit Canada and live with you while your application is in process ...... this is absolutely wrong ..... After applying for spousal sponsorship for my wife ...I immediately applied for her visit visa and I attached a letter with the visit visa application mentioning honestly that my wife's immigration application is under process and since the process takes time my wife would like to visit Canada and see me and there is no reason why she will stay in Canada more than the authorized days because her immigration application is already underway.

Applied for visit visa: April 2004 ... Got 2 years multiple visit visa in 3 weeks ...... she came to Canada in May 2014 and only went back to UAE in Oct 2014 to get her Immigration Visa stamped and came back to Canada as PR in couple of weeks.

So, I will say don't wait and give it a try ....... it has no effect on your spousal application and you can live together while your application is in process.

Hope it will help.

Many thanks!!

sidahmed

Nov 26, 2014
is it an obligation to file for spousal sponsorship before the couple sign the mlarriage contract or it's okay to file after sign the marriage contract. thank you.

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
sidahmed said:
is it an obligation to file for spousal sponsorship before the couple sign the mlarriage contract or it's okay to file after sign the marriage contract. thank you.
should be signed, it's your proof that you're married

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
sidahmed said:
You will need the marriage contract/certificate to apply for sponsorship, that is the valid proof you are married.

Canada-Ontario

Jan 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I have a question and I really appreciate it if any one can help.
I am currently a PhD student in Canada, I am here under my student visa which is valid till the end of 2017.
I am living with my Canadian boyfriend for more than 1 year. So we are going to apply for PR for me under the common law partner sponsership. We are applying inland (because I am already living with him in Canada) and I know the process takes something like 24 months.

Something that I am concerned about is that if I am allowed to leave Canada (for a short trip) during these 24 months? I mean I may need to go to my country and visit my family, or my bf and I may want to go for a trip out of the country. Am I allowed to use my multiple student visa to go travelling during the time my application is getting proceed?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fadishek said:
Your proxy marriage is not legally recognized by Canada, so you cannot sponsor her. You would need to either get married in person or get married in a country that legally recognizes proxy marriage.

Ghanaboy said:
someone pls help me,is there any other form i need to submitt aside the imm8 ?cos its requesting for updated family imformation which i understand could be different from the imm8

☐ Updated family information: you must advise us of any change in your marital status or family composition. All family members must be listed on your IMM8 application form. Failure to comply may result in a delay in the issuance of your visa.
If they wanted a specific form, they would have stated so. You can send an IMM0008.

oxygene78

Jan 30, 2015
hey guys please help :-X
i came to canada in november 2011 under visitor visa after 6 months i applied for work permit with LMO and i get it , i worked until august 2014 my work permit expired ,and i applied for PD sponsorship common law partner inland (same sex) my partner is canadian citizen (we are living together more then 2 years and half) after my LMO was not ready and i get 6 months visitor at the border ,
now i applied for extension of visitor visa as my LMO is not ready .
my questions is .
my application to extend my visitor visa can get refused ?
if do have an implied status as i sent my PR application in july 2014 ?
i am scared if i get deported ?
please help thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Canada-Ontario said:
So we are going to apply for PR for me under the common law partner sponsership. We are applying inland (because I am already living with him in Canada) and I know the process takes something like 24 months.

Something that I am concerned about is that if I am allowed to leave Canada (for a short trip) during these 24 months? I mean I may need to go to my country and visit my family, or my bf and I may want to go for a trip out of the country. Am I allowed to use my multiple student visa to go travelling during the time my application is getting proceed?
Where are you from? You are not required to apply inland just because you are in Canada. You are allowed to file outland and remain in Canada.

It is not advised to travel with an inland app because if you are refused entry back into Canada, your PR app is cancelled.

EmiliD.

Star Member
Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Doc's Request.
17-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014 ( SA )
File Transfer...
03-12-2014 ( asked Vienna via e-mail )
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2015
LANDED..........
14-03-2015
Canada-Ontario said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question and I really appreciate it if any one can help.
I am currently a PhD student in Canada, I am here under my student visa which is valid till the end of 2017.
I am living with my Canadian boyfriend for more than 1 year. So we are going to apply for PR for me under the common law partner sponsership. We are applying inland (because I am already living with him in Canada) and I know the process takes something like 24 months.

You can apply outland even if you are in Canada and you are able to travel during the process,also the process is shorter.