+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

MK27

Feb 14, 2013
Hi All

I got married in March'2014 in my home country and I am a PR in Canada. My husband is on open work permit in Canada and his WP is expiring in August'2014.

Now I have to put the spousal application for my husband, I know I have an option for INLAND Application only. But I have few questions if anyone can help me in this:

1. Can we put "Spousal" outside Canada, as the processing time is shorter from our home country?

2. And what about his Open Work Permit, Can he apply for his WP extension ? And if so, what is the best process to get the extension on his WP?

3. As we were dating each other since last 4 years in Canada and before that we knew each other from our home country, Do I have to provide the proof when we were dating in Canada ? And if so, what proofs are included in it ?

4. And lastly, if I am applying this application by myself, Should I mention in the cover letter as we were dating here and it makes our case more strong ?

5. He has already applied for his application under CEC in November 2012 and did not hear back from them as of now, So does it impact on "Spousal Application" ?

Please reply it will be great help for us. As we are running out of time and needs to make decision.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MK27 said:
1. Can we put "Spousal" outside Canada, as the processing time is shorter from our home country?
Absolutely. Indeed, applying via the Inland process requires qualifying for it. But an application can be processed by an Outland office even if the applicant is temporarily in Canada.

MK27 said:
2. And what about his Open Work Permit, Can he apply for his WP extension ? And if so, what is the best process to get the extension on his WP?
What was the basis of his work permit? If you do apply Outland, there would be no basis to extend it by having that application alone. If he is employed, his employer could also obtain an LMO and he could transition to a closed work permit.

MK27 said:
3. As we were dating each other since last 4 years in Canada and before that we knew each other from our home country, Do I have to provide the proof when we were dating in Canada ? And if so, what proofs are included in it ?
This is part of demonstrating it is a genuine relationship. There is no fixed evidence. People use cards, letters, e-mails, text messages, chat logs, photographs, letters from other people, etc. to demonstrate how the relationship developed and that it is genuine.

MK27 said:
4. And lastly, if I am applying this application by myself, Should I mention in the cover letter as we were dating here and it makes our case more strong ?
This should be addressed as part of the application, not as a separate cover letter.

MK27 said:
5. He has already applied for his application under CEC in November 2012 and did not hear back from them as of now, So does it impact on "Spousal Application" ?
November 2012? That's WAY beyond normal processing time. Contact the MP for your riding to ask them to intercede.

Note that once he has been approved by Sydney (indicating that he appears to qualify for CEC) then he can apply for a bridging open work permit (prior to his current work permit expiring, of course.) But that has nothing to do with a spousal application.

karthicbaboo

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Halifax, NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Am Karthic , PR in Canada since 2011. Recently got engaged in India on Jan 15 2014 & Marriage in planned on June 9th. My Fiancee Aunt lives in Toronto. Can she support and get her Visitor Visa so that i can bring her with me after marriage. I know some people who have done this and got successful.

But i still have thoughts running in my head. Please comment and Guide.

Thanks

Shrewdie

May 5, 2014
Leon, you seem like a smart guy. Do u think u could give me advice about my police record check? I lived in Canada for one year, with my (now) common-law partner. So I am applying for PR in family class. Do I need police record from Canada? Application guide says :
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six (6) consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
I know it might be a stupid question, just wanna be sure before we send it.

inexplored

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
karthicbaboo said:
Hi,

Am Karthic , PR in Canada since 2011. Recently got engaged in India on Jan 15 2014 & Marriage in planned on June 9th. My Fiancee Aunt lives in Toronto. Can she support and get her Visitor Visa so that i can bring her with me after marriage. I know some people who have done this and got successful.

But i still have thoughts running in my head. Please comment and Guide.

Thanks
Hi Karthic, While this is a great idea, it has some cons as well. Like if you were to do the inland immigration after your marriage (Whether held in India or Canada) you will be waiting a long time (In some cases, upto 3 years). Also if for any reason they do not believe that the relationship is valid and if for any reason you get denied. You will not have an appeal option (PERIOD).
Looking at the good side, you will be together while your immigration is in progress. Both options are good for you. Choice is your's only. Good luck !!!!

ravi.nitya

Star Member
May 11, 2011
Dubai,UAE
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
22-06-2009
Med's Request
21-07-2010
Med's Done....
03-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-05-2011 Passport submt:19- 05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2011
LANDED..........
15-07-2011
hi Everyone, anyone in Dubai who has applied for Spousal sponsorship can advise the real time it takes for processing???

gettingcrazy

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
GIVEN NAME

Good Day Everyone.. May i ask what does Given Name(s) in most of the forms mean.

Does this mean only the name, or name with the maiden name.

Family Name(s) = would be husband surname
Given Names(s) = would be?

Thanks!

PS:

My Passport Show the following

Given Name : Actual Name
Middle Name: Maiden Surname
Last Name : Husband Surname

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
gettingcrazy said:
GIVEN NAME

Good Day Everyone.. May i ask what does Given Name(s) in most of the forms mean.

Does this mean only the name, or name with the maiden name.

Family Name(s) = would be husband surname
Given Names(s) = would be?

Thanks!

PS:

My Passport Show the following

Given Name : Actual Name
Middle Name: Maiden Surname
Last Name : Husband Surname
This is going to be culture dependant.. In mine for example, I have three elements in my name.
<Forename> <Middlename> <Surname> which equate to
Given Names = Forename Middlename
Family Name = Surname.
Married ladies in my culture use either their Maiden Name OR their husbands Family Name, but not both. Sometimes, just to confuse matters, both partners make up a new Family Name by joining her Maiden Name to his Family Name with a hyphen.

gettingcrazy

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
zardoz said:
This is going to be culture dependant.. In mine for example, I have three elements in my name.
<Forename> <Middlename> <Surname> which equate to
Given Names = Forename Middlename
Family Name = Surname.
Married ladies in my culture use either their Maiden Name OR their husbands Family Name, but not both. Sometimes, just to confuse matters, both partners make up a new Family Name by joining her Maiden Name to his Family Name with a hyphen.
Really confusing on my part i also use Given Name, Middle Name (Maiden Surname), Surname.

So im worried if i include it on my given name it might have errors on my forms since its my maiden surname not exactly my Middle Name.

a_kudhail

May 6, 2014
Hi All,
i am a PR and got married in india nov 2013.m bak in canada and preparing to send application for spousal sponsership for my husband.he is in india.my husband and i have no dependants .do we still need to fill and attach the additinal dependants form at all.also i currently am looking for job coz i quit the last one before leaving.do i really need to have a job to sponser him at the time of application.Please help !!!!!!

fumbler1983

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
AOR Received.
22-07-2014
Med's Done....
28-02-2014
Passport Req..
08-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2014
LANDED..........
28-09-2014
Shrewdie said:
Leon, you seem like a smart guy. Do u think u could give me advice about my police record check? I lived in Canada for one year, with my (now) common-law partner. So I am applying for PR in family class. Do I need police record from Canada? Application guide says :
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six (6) consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
I know it might be a stupid question, just wanna be sure before we send it.
Where are you from? I know for the US the VO does their own check for Canada so its not necessary but I can't be sure for other countries that maybe do not process the applicant part in Canada.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
fumbler1983 said:
Where are you from? I know for the US the VO does their own check for Canada so its not necessary but I can't be sure for other countries that maybe do not process the applicant part in Canada.
the applicant needs to submit police records for ANY country they've lived for more than 6 mo. So this poster would indeed need to get a police check from Canada, as well as his home country. No police check is necessary to send with the sponsor's application, only the applicants.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
rhcohen2014 said:
the applicant needs to submit police records for ANY country they've lived for more than 6 mo. So this poster would indeed need to get a police check from Canada, as well as his home country. No police check is necessary to send with the sponsor's application, only the applicants.
Actually police clearances are NOT needed for Canada. They will ask for fingerprints only if you are similar to another individual with perhaps criminal record to ensure they keep you separated, but generally speaking you do not need to provide Canadian clearances as they will get those done when needed. All other countries that you lived in for six months or more since the age of 18 must be provided.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Alurra71 said:
Actually police clearances are NOT needed for Canada. They will ask for fingerprints only if you are similar to another individual with perhaps criminal record to ensure they keep you separated, but generally speaking you do not need to provide Canadian clearances as they will get those done when needed. All other countries that you lived in for six months or more since the age of 18 must be provided.
even for applicants? well that's certainly confusing! so do applicants who have lived in canada need to only send fingerprints, or wait for instructions from the VO?

vinem

Feb 15, 2014
Hello All,

I am just reposting my concern under this Subject. Need some help. Thanks

I am a Canadian resident who got divorced and now in a five year sponsorship ban. I am planning to get married soon from outside of Canada.

Since I am on a sponsorship ban till mid of next year, I thought of bringing my spouse on visit visa/ working holiday visa and live together till I am eligible to apply.
We had applied for working holiday visa and it got approved. Means.. my spouse got the working holiday visa before the marriage itself.
My concern is ,

1. Can my spouse come to Canada after marriage , using the working holiday visa?
2. I know , you have to declare your status at the port of entry , if it is changed after the working holiday visa is approved. In my case, I got married from outside of Canada
and my spouse is coming to Canada using the working holiday visa which was got approved well before marriage. Will the officers doubt the intent ??

3. Will there be any problem at the port of entry? Can they deny the entrance when declaring my spouse got married to a me, who is a Canadian resident and trying to enter Canada using WHV??

4. if yes, can someone help is identifying the alternate way to bring my spouse to Canada, and to live together till I am eligible to apply under spousal category?

Thanks.