Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Tinken said:
Hi Chala,
We did not know that Sponsorship outside Canada would allow for the medical to be done in Canada until Rob and you have pointed it out.
I hope this did not cause too much of a delay in our process...fingers crossed!
You could have done the medical in Canada or in any other country (actually they are usually MUCH cheaper in Canada). There has always been an up-to-date list available on the CIC site, of the current panel physicians you can choose from: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx . You do not need to wait for the visa office to give you this info. Did someone specifically tell you that you needed to wait for medical?

Anyways its all water under the bridge now. Hopefully it was only a minor delay and they started processing your app again as soon as they received the medicals.

The most important thing for you now, is to keep your husbands address updated with the visa office. There's a good chance your next step will simply be seeing his status change to "Decision Made", meaning they have mailed out the COPR documents. So you need to make sure they go to where he is actually living.

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
URGENT!!!! Emergency!

Today I will be returning back to California for exactly one week and returning back to Ontario. However I'm worried I may run into an issue. I overstayed my visitor status here by 12 days. Will this cause trouble for me when I return next week? I'm really scared I won't be let back into Canada.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KKRSTNA said:
URGENT!!!! Emergency!

Today I will be returning back to California for exactly one week and returning back to Ontario. However I'm worried I may run into an issue. I overstayed my visitor status here by 12 days. Will this cause trouble for me when I return next week? I'm really scared I won't be let back into Canada.
there's really no way people on this forum can tell you for sure. it will depend on the agent you encounter at the border. my advice is to make sure to have very strong proof of significant ties to the us - lease agreement/mortgage papers, work contract, recent paystubs, etc. if you are applying for PR status, make sure to bring a copy of your application, and all receipts paid, as well as your marriage certificate. if you intend to apply in the future, pay for some or all of the fees before you go, and bring the application forms/paperwork you have compiled with you as well as your marriage certificate to prove your intent. only answer questions they ask and don't elaborate your answers or go into long, detailed stories. from what i've been told by CBSA, the 2 borders now share entry information, so they *may* know when they scan your passport that you overstayed. then again, you *may* luck out. NEVER lie to the agents because most likely they already know the answer to the question and they want to make sure you are being consistent in your responses. I'm usually asked the specific date i last left Canada, so be prepared to tell them the truth. unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try to enter. the way i see it, they may either deny you entry, give you a visitor pass that requires you to check out at the end of your current stay, or just let you through normally. again it's in the hands of the agent you see!

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
My passport is usually on scanned by a U.S airline agent upon my last connecting flight to Canada. Whenever I enter into Canada it's usually only looked at, then stamped, never scanned. I usually get one or two questions asking my reason for visiting.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KKRSTNA said:
My passport is usually on scanned by a U.S airline agent upon my last connecting flight to Canada. Whenever I enter into Canada it's usually only looked at, then stamped, never scanned. I usually get one or two questions asking my reason for visiting.
Unfortunately it's impossible to say for certain what will happen when you retrun. I don't think the 12 days overstay are going to be a problem. However it does sound like you are now spending a great deal of time in Canada (six month stay followed by only a week stay in the US followed by a return to Canada). If anything is going to be an issue - the time you are spending in Canada might be since you're effectively living here (not just visiting). I agree you should bring the evidence that rhcohen2014 has suggested below in case you run into any issues.

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
I'm only 20 years old and don't have much of anything aside from a bank account that shows a tie to my homeland.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around how anyone who isn't a Canadian Citizen is ever able to execute anything (common law, marriage, etc...) when it seems as though you can't spend time with the person you're intending on being with.

My family sends me money weekly so I don't have the need to work illegally and my boyfriend is always able and willing to help me when I need it. We are hoping to apply for common law in October but by the sound of things, it's a total toss up.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KKRSTNA said:
I'm only 20 years old and don't have much of anything aside from a bank account that shows a tie to my homeland.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around how anyone who isn't a Canadian Citizen is ever able to execute anything (common law, marriage, etc...) when it seems as though you can't spend time with the person you're intending on being with.

My family sends me money weekly so I don't have the need to work illegally and my boyfriend is always able and willing to help me when I need it. We are hoping to apply for common law in October but by the sound of things, it's a total toss up.
where do you go when you return to the states? if you live with family, i'd suggest getting a general lease agreement signed asap to prove ties. having family in the states doesn't prove strong enough ties. from what you just said, CBSA will have suspicion of living in canada illegally. the last thing you want to happen is to be given an exclusion order, which means you can not enter canada for at least 1 year.

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
I live in California with my aunt who owns a house with her husband. I really doubt they'll do anything of that nature.

Is there anything else I can do? I was planning on enrolling in a school out here in Ontario.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KKRSTNA said:
I live in California with my aunt who owns a house with her husband. I really doubt they'll do anything of that nature.

Is there anything else I can do? I was planning on enrolling in a school out here in Ontario.
have you been accepted into school? if so you can apply for a student visa which will give you status in canada. i am not sure what will happen while crossing if you haven't enrolled yet. it's a very tricky situation. each agent is different, so there's no way to know until you cross. it's really important to have everything together before you attempt to cross, so if studying there is your goal, get the info and paperwork together ASAP. always use the term "visiting", never suggesting your plans to move there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KKRSTNA said:

Enrolling in a school in Ontario doesn't help since you want to be showing ties to the US - not Canada. Besides, if the program you are planning on taking is longer than six months, then you need a study permit (which you certainly can't get in a week).

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
Yes I'm aware of that. I was just clarifying that because I'm young, and a way for me to show ties to the US would be to enroll in a school from my area. I was just saying that I was planning on doing that here, and it wouldn't be the greatest thing to do if that was suggested.

I'm probably not making any sense right now, and I apologize. I'm just extremely terrified that I might be denied entry back into Canada. I would think abiding by the law and leaving, and not intending to work shows good merit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KKRSTNA said:
Once people enter Canada as visitors, then often stay (without leaving) for a year to become common law. This is accomplished by applying for an extension from within Canada before your visit expires. If you say that you are requesting an extension to become common law - the extension is almost always approved. This won't work for you because: (1) your visit has already expired and it doesn't sound like you applied for an extension before this happened; (2) you want to leave Canada.

I'm not sure why you think there are any barriers to you getting married in Canada. You could have very easily done that as soon as you arrived.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
scylla said:
Enrolling in a school in Ontario doesn't help since you want to be showing ties to the US - not Canada. Besides, if the program you are planning on taking is longer than six months, then you need a study permit (which you certainly can't get in a week).
my suggestion is to take more time to figure out your plans. what is an extra few weeks as opposed to a lifetime together? take it from someone who was denied entry for 1 year. it's not a fun experience, and not worth the risk. like the agents told me, i was putting "the cart before the horse". in my eyes, i've lived in the US all my life, so isn't that proof enough of ties. in their eyes it's not and excluding me for a year gave me time to get my life "in order" in the states. they are a lot stricter on couples not married.

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
Scylla, I could've gone with the extension route, and we even talked about it, but I would have eventually had to leave anyways due to having to go to the doctor, dentist, etc...

It's a toss up between doing both, applying for the extension, calling CIC to inform them I'm wanting to become common law, and leaving and returning.

My boyfriend and I do plan on getting married when I return (if I'm allowed back in) just because we didn't do it right away, doesn't mean we don't want to or aren't going to.

alonekitchener

Apr 14, 2014
Re: Spousal sponsorship: Change of Spouse Address

Hello All,
Can anyone help me with my case? My wife is changing address from USA where she was a student to Bangladesh where she will now reside until our application is approved and she can move to Canada as a permanent resident. How would I inform the CIC? Does it matter much her address has changed (as the principal applicant). I am assuming that it is more important that the sponsor doesn't change his or her address (which is the case here). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!