+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Shayreef

Apr 16, 2013
Hello,

I just had a quick question regarding the Travel History of my Wife (who is applying for Permanent Residence) ... My wife is a British Citizen and has traveled extensively since she was 18 years old -- she has had the same passport since she turned 18 and it is covered in Entry Visas/Stamps from some, but not ALL, of her trips. Some of the stamps are faded and unfortunately not legible and because she is a European Citizen most countries she visited in the EU did not even stamp her passport at all when she entered.

I know that Canadians are able to request a Record of Travel History for up to 10 years (or so I read) and was wondering if anyone knew whether or not something similar was available for British Citizens through the UK Border Agency.

Otherwise I will just have her write down as many places as she remembers and explain in a letter that there are some places that she cannot remember exact dates because she has traveled so extensively.

Thank you

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014; remed 24-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
toutesweet said:
All the research and enquiries that I had done pointed to no. But there ARE members on the site who have received TRV's even without huge ties, stating their dual intent or rather that they had no intention of undermining the PR application by overstaying their TRV. Even one said they had tried TRV two times prior to PR application with no success before a successful third application after PR application. I was told no chance for TRV by my constituency worker and not only that, but that if I failed any further application in any category would be red flagged. This is not true. You can see how long my timeline is. I really regret not trying this avenue. Don't be as disparaged as I was. And good luck
yeah toutesweet you're right, i will try but it's worrying to get a leave of absence at my job (not even sure they'll grant me one) and also get a round trip plane ticket and then submit for the TRV. if i get refused it's kinda messed up.. not even sure the plane ticket is refundable.. and if it is then it costs much more than the cheapest one (that i intend to get ;D) thanks for your answer!

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-11-2013 (sent January 2 2014, DM January 16 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
CutiePie92 said:
yeah toutesweet you're right, i will try but it's worrying to get a leave of absence at my job (not even sure they'll grant me one) and also get a round trip plane ticket and then submit for the TRV. if i get refused it's mine messed up.. not even sure the plane ticket is refundable.. and if it is then it costs much more than the cheapest one (that i intend to get ;D) thanks for your answer!
Get the trv first, then the ticket. You will have enough time to make arrangements to get a ticket with some advance notice. Don't buy any tickets until the visa is in your hand! If you are worried about too long of a break in work before your other application goes through or a leave of absence, then that's another thing. Ah too be independently wealthy! All the best! :)

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
toutesweet said:
Get the trv first, then the ticket. You will have enough time to make arrangements to get a ticket with some advance notice. Don't buy any tickets until the visa is in your hand! If you are worried about too long of a break in work before your other application goes through or a leave of absence, then that's another thing. Ah too be independently wealthy! All the best! :)
Thanks toutesweet! one last question tho: get the ticket after the visa ? that would seem like the best solution for me too but i read in their TRV guide that you need to also submit a plane ticket (with a return date to your home country) as proof that you'll go back after the visa expires. is this true?

also, would it be a better idea to apply for a TRV before submitting our PR application? will that jeopardise our future PR application? do i have more chances to get the TRV?

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
MK88 said:
That's alright.
Are you sure I am suppose to send the email about address changing to the VO in Singapore because I think my file is still in Canada-Mississauga. How do I know where my file is? Currently on my E-track it says "Decision Made", but i don't know what decision. As they said they have mailed the letter out on January 15, but I still haven't received any letter. Help Please :(

Thank You.
Play it safe and do both. Online and Singapore office. Sorry when did you apply? One more question for you mon chum, I heard nothing at all and had no file or UCI no until I got my sponsorship approval I didn't even know if they had received my application. Someone asked where you get your file no and I said you get it when you get your approval which obviously isn't entirely true as you have yours. Care to share? When and hire did you get yours? Anyway, it can take a couple of weeks from decision made to contact. Be patient and update your address online and send an email to Singapore office anyway. You can always order GMCS notes, just put that in the search on CIC website and they will give you instructions for online application. It's five dollars for the Canadian sponsor to apply with a forum of consent of the applicant, and it takes 30 calendar days to be emailed to you. It is your file as tracked by CIC and will eventually include the notesof the reviewing officer and keep you informed as to ewhat's going on with your file, and where it is. You can double check that all the info including addresses are correct etc. It's a part of the freedom of information act. It's a good thing to get a little later in your process but if you have worries you can start at anytime. I mean it costs $5 you're hardly breaking the bank. The only hassle is you have to get the consent form filled every time you apply for the notes.

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
ad rasheed said:
Currently we are living in USA for past six months, do we need a police certificate for my wife from USA or Pakistan?
CIC requires police certificates from any country you have lived in for six months or more. That's the official line anyway, though I've heard of some bypassing it if they've been in Canada for more than... 6 mo or a year I can't remember

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
CutiePie92 said:
Thanks toutesweet! one last question tho: get the ticket after the visa ? that would seem like the best solution for me too but i read in their TRV guide that you need to also submit a plane ticket (with a return date to your home country) as proof that you'll go back after the visa expires. is this true?

also, would it be a better idea to apply for a TRV before submitting our PR application? will that jeopardise our future PR application? do i have more chances to get the TRV?
You can tell them you will get your ticket contingent on trv. You can try before and after PR application. If you try before, you may choose to apply, and probably should I think, seniors correct me if I'm wrong, under dual intent as you are intending to apply for PR under spousal. That would cover you for sure to not make any problems for your future spousal PR. If you are turned down, try again after PR application stating you will not overstay your trv as you have a spousal PR in progress and do not want to jeopardize the application. Include ties to applicants country.
I am to assume then that you have not made any applications yet? What office are you going through? If you do receive the trv, at that point when you come through customs they will want to see a return ticket. You can always get turned away at the border if they don't believe you will return. A one way ticket is one of the things, and a big one, that they would look for. Otherwise if you got a trv I wouldn't worry.

xian

Jan 29, 2014
Good day, my wife is living in Canada, we got married last December 7, 2013, upon her return, we found out that she is already pregnant. We have not yet submit my documents. Is there any another possible way for me to go there before her delivery date?

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
xian said:
Good day, my wife is living in Canada, we got married last December 7, 2013, upon her return, we found out that she is already pregnant. We have not yet submit my documents. Is there any another possible way for me to go there before her delivery date?
Have you submitted your application yet? I am guessing not as you said you have not submitted documents. Where are you/applicant from? I am guessing she is the Canadian or PR as otherwise you would be able to go her country for the birth/ before the due date? A little more info would ease advise

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
toutesweet said:
You can tell them you will get your ticket contingent on trv. You can try before and after PR application. If you try before, you may choose to apply, and probably should I think, seniors correct me if I'm wrong, under dual intent as you are intending to apply for PR under spousal. That would cover you for sure to not make any problems for your future spousal PR. If you are turned down, try again after PR application stating you will not overstay your trv as you have a spousal PR in progress and do not want to jeopardize the application. Include ties to applicants country.
I am to assume then that you have not made any applications yet? What office are you going through? If you do receive the trv, at that point when you come through customs they will want to see a return ticket. You can always get turned away at the border if they don't believe you will return. A one way ticket is one of the things, and a big one, that they would look for. Otherwise if you got a trv I wouldn't worry.
@ toutesweet my VO is Bucharest, Romania. our current processing times are around 14 months (heard about slightly shorter process times too though) and we're not visa-exempt.
no, we didn't apply for anything yet, now i`m trying to gather as much information as i can :)
if i have a trv, i`ll get a return ticket too (before flying there)

also can you tell me more about the "dual intent" application? thanks a lot for your replies, you're very helpful! :-*

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xian said:
Assuming you are non-visa exempt, you can try applying for a visitor visa. However there's no guarantee it will be approved and CIC may deny if they believe you have plans to remain in Canada long term.

ladybugclh

Oct 13, 2013
Have a question if any one can help....little background again....visa office is Ottawa....we got passport request back in August,....then in Ocotber found out that everyone lost his medicals so my husband redid those.....then on Jan 17th got an email asking for him to send in more passport phots (the ones listed in schedule B) and on Tuesday his application finally went into in process....they received the photos on Thursday (23rd),....any idea how much longer we will have to wait before he receives COPR....no interview is required and according to his gcms notes it says recommend pass....so hoping this will be done soon....they received our application Feb 8th of 2013 and it is just a basic app...thanks for any info and help....my husband is still a little pessimistic....I am the optimistic one saying it will all be done soon....just hoping I am right

thegoodwife98

Jan 25, 2014
PHL
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
File Transfer...
03-09-2013
Med's Request
26-05-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
26-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Soon!!! Waiting for 14 months now.
LANDED..........
Status is IN PROCESS 6/24/14
Hi good day to all. Im here in Philippines and I need your advice on something. My husband sponsored me, a Canadian citizen, and has received approval of his sponsorship. Now we are waiting from Canada Embassy in Manila any update on our application for my visa. The mailing address and contact informations used is that my husband's in Canada where we will hopefully soon receive letters and updates from the Canada Embassy in Manila. My question is, will it be a good idea to change the mailing address and contact informations that the Embassy will send updates and all from my huband's to my addresss here in Philippines instead so I'll know and received them straight from CEM? My husband and I have second thoughts about this move we are planning but then I've more time to check on the visa matter than my husband who is busy working everyday. I hope someone here will help enlighten me on this concern we have. Thank you in advance. God bless us all.

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
ladybugclh said:
Have a question if any one can help....little background again....visa office is Ottawa....we got passport request back in August,....then in Ocotber found out that everyone lost his medicals so my husband redid those.....then on Jan 17th got an email asking for him to send in more passport phots (the ones listed in schedule B) and on Tuesday his application finally went into in process....they received the photos on Thursday (23rd),....any idea how much longer we will have to wait before he receives COPR....no interview is required and according to his gcms notes it says recommend pass....so hoping this will be done soon....they received our application Feb 8th of 2013 and it is just a basic app...thanks for any info and help....my husband is still a little pessimistic....I am the optimistic one saying it will all be done soon....just hoping I am right
Sounds to me like your app is in good shape and it should not be much longer. However no one knows for sure , but if you look at the CPP-Ottawa spreadsheet it will give you a better idea of what to expect. Also there is a lot of value comments on the Ottawa thread that you may find interesting and helpful. Good luck.

Konabo

Jan 29, 2014
HI there, so I have a couple of questions and I will appreciate any information:)

Our application for Spousal Sponsorship from with in Canada was received by CIC in January 2013 and shortly after my wife ( who is sponsoring me) received an email that says she has been approved as a Sponsor. On the same day I received an email asking me for the med exam. I quickly responded by getting one done 3 days after and it already shows that CIC has received it.

Now my questions:

1. What does this mean, lol. I did not receive first stage approval yet and they moved on to the med exam which is part of stage 2 if I understand it correctly?
I am eager to apply for a work and study permit which I can only do after I receive first stage approval.
2. Is this order of events common for applicants who would have to do an interview?
3. Is there a way, other than the online updates, that I can find out where we stand?
4. How long does it take to find out if an interview is needed and if it goes well, will I get PR right after the interview?

that's it for now, I have tonnes of questions and this is probably the most stressful process ever, I will appreciate any feed back.