+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

MOC19

Jan 27, 2014
Hi,

First of all I have read a few comments in this forum and I think its great it exists. A much needed service.

I am currently in Canada, from Ireland, on my second IEC Visa. It expires in 15 months. My girlfriend (Canadian) of 14 months wants to sponsor me once this permit is up. I have read the website and all the info it gives. The major problem I forsee is, as it states, that 'You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you .....get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled'. My girlfriend has recently received a loan for her college tuition and living expenses. I am employed but not in class O,A or B like is needed for the other residency programs.

Does the fact she is getting a government loan for her education mean it will be rejected or 'may' she be eligible?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MOC19 said:
Hi,

First of all I have read a few comments in this forum and I think its great it exists. A much needed service.

I am currently in Canada, from Ireland, on my second IEC Visa. It expires in 15 months. My girlfriend (Canadian) of 14 months wants to sponsor me once this permit is up. I have read the website and all the info it gives. The major problem I forsee is, as it states, that 'You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you .....get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled'. My girlfriend has recently received a loan for her college tuition and living expenses. I am employed but not in class O,A or B like is needed for the other residency programs.

Does the fact she is getting a government loan for her education mean it will be rejected or 'may' she be eligible?
No, student loans are not considered social assistance so you don't need to worry. They are speaking of people being on welfare.

You don't need to wait 15 months to apply. You can apply for your PR status as soon as you reach common-law status (living together 12 consecutive months) or if you get married.

MOC19

Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for your quick reply. A couple of further questions:

1. As she is in college and has no other income, does that go against us? Or would my own income be sufficient?
2. We have not been living together but will be shortly. Marriage is a big option for us, but is there another route to take with sponsorship besides the 12 months living together or marriage?

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MOC19 said:
Thanks for your quick reply. A couple of further questions:

1. As she is in college and has no other income, does that go against us? Or would my own income be sufficient?
There is no minimum income requirement, but you also must satisfy CIC that you won't go on social assistance right after getting PR. So if no income you can include testimonial letters from family members that they will support you financially, or you can include a plan for your future including what types of job/salary you intend to get with your education.

2. We have not been living together but will be shortly. Marriage is a big option for us, but is there another route to take with sponsorship besides the 12 months living together or marriage?
No, common-law or marriage are your only 2 options for family class. Else you'll need to look at applying for PR as a skilled worker or something outside the family class.

MOC19

Jan 27, 2014
One last question:

If we are living together for 12 months, and there is only 2/3 months left on my working visa when we apply, will I have to leave the country while my application is being processed, or will I be allowed stay during this process?

MK88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2013
Doc's Request.
11-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2014
Med's Request
15-Jan-2015
Med's Done....
16-Jan-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 ~Submitted 02-Mar-2015~
VISA ISSUED...
04-Mar-2015
LANDED..........
March 2015
toutesweet said:
I am so sorry I had you mixed up with someone else. In that case you should send the Email notifying of the address change to the vo that is processing your application which I'm aiming is the Singapore office. I changed my husband's email address this way. Sorry about the confusion
That's alright.
Are you sure I am suppose to send the email about address changing to the VO in Singapore because I think my file is still in Canada-Mississauga. How do I know where my file is? Currently on my E-track it says "Decision Made", but i don't know what decision. As they said they have mailed the letter out on January 15, but I still haven't received any letter. Help Please :(

Thank You.

nona_nabil

Jan 15, 2014
Hi, i am from Egypt and my husband is Canadian/Egyptian. he moved to Canada from 4 months ago and i still live in Egypt with our son. we decided to apply for outland sponsorship, is it ok when he lives in Canada and i live in Egypt or he have to be in the same place when applying?

the second think i want to ask: which is the better way to apply if we live in different places, by hand in cairo visa office, by mail, or submit online??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
nona_nabil said:
Hi, i am from Egypt and my husband is Canadian/Egyptian. he moved to Canada from 4 months ago and i still live in Egypt with our son. we decided to apply for outland sponsorship, is it ok when he lives in Canada and i live in Egypt or he have to be in the same place when applying?

the second think i want to ask: which is the better way to apply if we live in different places, by hand in cairo visa office, by mail, or submit online??
It's OK for him to be in Canada while you are in Egypt. There is only one way to apply. Mail to CPC-M in Canada.

nona_nabil

Jan 15, 2014
zardoz said:
It's OK for him to be in Canada while you are in Egypt. There is only one way to apply. Mail to CPC-M in Canada.
Thanks for reply, but what about the interview? will they request to me only to come for an interview?
and what about signatures of me and my husband in the applications, i think that i saw some applications require both of our signatures, how to do that when we are in different places and the application is sent my mail, not online? do thet accept scanned signatures?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
nona_nabil said:
Thanks for reply, but what about the interview? will they request to me only to come for an interview?
and what about signatures of me and my husband in the applications, i think that i saw some applications require both of our signatures, how to do that when we are in different places and the application is sent my mail, not online? do thet accept scanned signatures?
Normally they interview only the applicant. You will have to send the forms back and forward between you for signing. No scanned signatures are allowed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MOC19 said:
One last question:

If we are living together for 12 months, and there is only 2/3 months left on my working visa when we apply, will I have to leave the country while my application is being processed, or will I be allowed stay during this process?
If you apply outland, you will need to convert your current IEC work visa into a visitor, student or some other work visa, if you wanted to stay in Canada during the processing. With outland app you can enter and leave Canada as you like, independent of your application going on.

If you applied inland, then you would be able to stay in Canada during the entire time for sure, but you are also basically stuck here and are not supposed to leave. Inland is also typically much slower process than outland.

In either case, unless you get a brand new work visa then you'll need to stop working as soon as your current work visa expires.

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014; remed 24-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
Rob_TO said:
If you apply outland, you will need to convert your current IEC work visa into a visitor, student or some other work visa, if you wanted to stay in Canada during the processing. With outland app you can enter and leave Canada as you like, independent of your application going on.
@ Rob_TO: do you think this next situation is possible? my sponsor gets 1st stage approval (+ 2nd Quebec specific approval stage) and the files get sent to my VO. After this i would like to visit Canada for 1-2 months - do i need a TRV if my PR application was 1st stage approved? i should mention that i'm from Romania so i'm not visa-exempt.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CutiePie92 said:
@ Rob_TO: do you think this next situation is possible? my sponsor gets 1st stage approval (+ 2nd Quebec specific approval stage) and the files get sent to my VO. After this i would like to visit Canada for 1-2 months - do i need a TRV if my PR application was 1st stage approved? i should mention that i'm from Romania so i'm not visa-exempt.
Yes, you need a TRV. Having first stage approval in an outland app means absolutely nothing when it comes to overcoming visa requirements to enter Canada. So you need to go through the usual TRV application process still.

hi am there

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I receivd passports request today..within how many days do i have to submit it to the VO? is there any deadline.. ?? i dont have it with me right now, thats the problm.. plz ans..