Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Howdy all!new to the forum,I've been using it mostly to search questions etc. and it's really useful!
So here's my first question of many that I'm gonna bug you all with ;D

I am currently living in canada with my canadian partner.i am on a visitors visa and we are sending in our application soon.
So my situation is,
We will be applying for an "Outland" application.my home country is ireland,which makes London my local embassy.so normally that's where we should send our application right?
But,we are moving to Australia in a couple of months to work and travel for a years before returning to Canada.

My question is,where should we send our application?I would think London as it is my country's local embassy,but I'm worried that I might get called for an interview in London while living in Australia?
Can someone please help us out and tell us where to apply!
Thank you all in advance!!any help is greatly appreciated,

Karl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KarlR said:
Howdy all!new to the forum,I've been using it mostly to search questions etc. and it's really useful!
So here's my first question of many that I'm gonna bug you all with ;D

I am currently living in canada with my canadian partner.i am on a visitors visa and we are sending in our application soon.
So my situation is,
We will be applying for an "Outland" application.my home country is ireland,which makes London my local embassy.so normally that's where we should send our application right?
But,we are moving to Australia in a couple of months to work and travel for a years before returning to Canada.

My question is,where should we send our application?I would think London as it is my country's local embassy,but I'm worried that I might get called for an interview in London while living in Australia?
Can someone please help us out and tell us where to apply!
Thank you all in advance!!any help is greatly appreciated,

Karl
You actually have to send the application to Mississauga first. Mississauga will send the application to the country visa office once the sponsor has been approved. As for which country to chose as the country visa office - I'll let someone else comment. I think you could go either way. If you're from the UK it's probably unlikely you'll be called for an interview.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mitroh said:
So do u mean, i can send the passport whenever i want to after they have requested the 2nd time?
Once they request the 2nd time, cn we just go to NDVO and get it stamped there?
Because he has to come back to US
"Whenever you want" is a bit broad. But when they require the passport they will give you a window ("in order to continue processing you must submit your passport to this office within X days" - and I've heard 15 to 60 days for X). If you need to push it beyond that processing time, you should advise them of the delay and the reason why, keeping in mind that at some point things (PCCs and medicals) expire and then you have to do them all over again.

If you don't respond within X days, you get a second chance ("unless we hear from you by X date, we will assume you are no longer interested in becoming a permanent resident and will close your file, in which case you will be required to submit a new application.")

It appears that you can submit your passport in person - they have two hours per week for that, but the website (india.gc.ca) clearly indicates that in person submission is slower than sending it through a Visa Application Centre (VAC). They also clearly state that they will not return the passport to an address outside India.

My advice: have him submit it as per the directions in the passport request e-mail when that time comes. Include evidence of travel and request they return the document prior to that travel. If the travel is 3 or more weeks into the future he should receive his documents back in that time. But in the end, he is at the mercy of the visa office with respect to return of the passport.

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
computergeek said:
"Whenever you want" is a bit broad. But when they require the passport they will give you a window ("in order to continue processing you must submit your passport to this office within X days" - and I've heard 15 to 60 days for X). If you need to push it beyond that processing time, you should advise them of the delay and the reason why, keeping in mind that at some point things (PCCs and medicals) expire and then you have to do them all over again.

If you don't respond within X days, you get a second chance ("unless we hear from you by X date, we will assume you are no longer interested in becoming a permanent resident and will close your file, in which case you will be required to submit a new application.")

It appears that you can submit your passport in person - they have two hours per week for that, but the website (india.gc.ca) clearly indicates that in person submission is slower than sending it through a Visa Application Centre (VAC). They also clearly state that they will not return the passport to an address outside India.

My advice: have him submit it as per the directions in the passport request e-mail when that time comes. Include evidence of travel and request they return the document prior to that travel. If the travel is 3 or more weeks into the future he should receive his documents back in that time. But in the end, he is at the mercy of the visa office with respect to return of the passport.
Ok, I heard Ndvo doesnt accept passports in courier
Is that right?
Have you ever seen/heard of sum1 asking to get the passport back in 3 weeks?

My wedding depends on it, so bugging you so much

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mitroh said:
Ok, I heard Ndvo doesnt accept passports in courier
Is that right?
Have you ever seen/heard of sum1 asking to get the passport back in 3 weeks?

My wedding depends on it, so bugging you so much
From the NDVO website:

Applicants outside India or Nepal should be aware of Indian laws restricting sending of passports across international borders. You must either deposit your passport at a VFS office within India or Nepal (see instructions above) or send your passport by courier to the visa office. If you choose to send your passport by courier, you must provide a return mailing address within India or Nepal, as we cannot send passports to any other country, including Canada.
So from what I can tell they will accept them from a courier, they just will not return them to you via courier. My only experience here is that I personally received my passport back from LA in less than three weeks when I submitted evidence of travel. I included a prepaid express mail envelope (for the US) and a cover letter explaining this all to them. NDVO specific questions though are probably better made in one of the NDVO threads because people there will have useful and current information.

Caroline T.

Oct 19, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/202014
Med's Done....
01/11/2014
scylla said:
You actually have to send the application to Mississauga first. Mississauga will send the application to the country visa office once the sponsor has been approved. As for which country to chose as the country visa office - I'll let someone else comment. I think you could go either way. If you're from the UK it's probably unlikely you'll be called for an interview.

Hi thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if anyone knew, Karl and I are in Canada now, but going to Australia in a few months, we're not sure if we should wait till we're in Australia to complete to forms or if we can send them from here, because when it asks for our address, if we put out current Canadian one in, how will they know that we are moving to Australia?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Caroline T. said:
Hi thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if anyone knew, Karl and I are in Canada now, but going to Australia in a few months, we're not sure if we should wait till we're in Australia to complete to forms or if we can send them from here, because when it asks for our address, if we put out current Canadian one in, how will they know that we are moving to Australia?
CIC rules state you need to be legally admitted to a country for at least 1 year, in order to request processing from there. So will you be getting at least a 1 year visa to travel/work in Australia? If so, then you can choose Australia for PR processing and also include a copy of your Australian visa showing the 1 year admittance. I would wait until you actually have a residential address in Australia you can use for mail from CIC (though most is done by email... the only snail mail we ever received was the final COPR).

Also keep in mind that requesting an office that is not the one typically serving your citizenship (London in your case), is never guaranteed. All outland apps first go to CPC-Mississauga no matter what. From there, CIC will then send your application to the appropriate outland visa office, and can send it wherever they feel is best. So even if you wait till you move to Australia and are fully entitled to use their visa office... CIC may end up just sending your app to London regardless. You can request, but the choice is up to them.

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
How long does it normally take at the newyork visa office?
I didnt find any threads for it?

It says 18 months, does it actually take so long or longer than that?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mitroh said:
How long does it normally take at the newyork visa office?
I didnt find any threads for it?

It says 18 months, does it actually take so long or longer than that?
NY does not process PR applications. All US applicants go through the CPC-Ottawa visa office.

guru_guru

Oct 8, 2013
My wife sponsored me from canada through an agent. In current mailing address, its the agent's address of canada. My question is
while sending my passport, do I needed to mention my mailing address of india or not. As it is already mentioned in the forms filled for the application.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Rob_TO said:
NY does not process PR applications. All US applicants go through the CPC-Ottawa visa office.
All outland applications are submitted to CPC-M. US (and lawful Canadian residents) have their applications initially sent to CPP-O (Ottawa). CPP-O may choose to transfer the file to NYC or LA for further processing, but most applications are finalized in Ottawa these days.

So, technically, NYC does process PR applications, but the applicant does not have any control on the assignment of their application to NYC.

canadacolombo

Mar 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

We're about to send off our application for me to sponsor my common-law partner from Colombia, both currently living in Canada.

We are sending it outland, as the processing time is a few months faster now, probably as a result of the strike affecting certain offices and not others.

We have a question regarding the application:

In both the Sponsor Questionnaire as well as the Principal Applicant Questionnaire, it says "On a separate sheet of paper, provided any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing."

My question is should we include this information (photos, emails, bills, rental agreement, bank accounts, etc.) attached to both questionnaires or just one of them? If just one of them, should they be attached to the Sponsor application or PA application forms? Not sure whether in Mississauga they only look at the Sponsor forms and should therefore see this additional info right? So do most people just put two copies of everything attached to both parts of the application?

Thanks for your help

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
canadacolombo said:
In both the Sponsor Questionnaire as well as the Principal Applicant Questionnaire, it says "On a separate sheet of paper, provided any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing."

My question is should we include this information (photos, emails, bills, rental agreement, bank accounts, etc.) attached to both questionnaires or just one of them? If just one of them, should they be attached to the Sponsor application or PA application forms? Not sure whether in Mississauga they only look at the Sponsor forms and should therefore see this additional info right? So do most people just put two copies of everything attached to both parts of the application?
What most people seem to do is create a third packet "relationship support evidence" and then reference to it in each portion of the application. It seems to work well for those who have done it.

Daisyd5

Star Member
Apr 30, 2013
canadacolombo said:
Hi everyone,

We're about to send off our application for me to sponsor my common-law partner from Colombia, both currently living in Canada.

We are sending it outland, as the processing time is a few months faster now, probably as a result of the strike affecting certain offices and not others.

We have a question regarding the application:

Thanks for your help

We sent everything together all papers for both of us and proof to Canada. Once they are done with the sponsorship end then they will send all the file to the outside visa office in question.

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
computergeek said:
All outland applications are submitted to CPC-M. US (and lawful Canadian residents) have their applications initially sent to CPP-O (Ottawa). CPP-O may choose to transfer the file to NYC or LA for further processing, but most applications are finalized in Ottawa these days.

So, technically, NYC does process PR applications, but the applicant does not have any control on the assignment of their application to NYC.
So, where does the interview happen?

As on cic website, the processing time for Ottawa is 14 months, for Newyork is 18 and LA is 22, what should I consider the processing time to be?
And where do you send the passport to?