Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
Question : Filling Form IMM0008

The guide states to fill all areas including the ones that do not apply by putting "N/A"

I am sponsoring a spouse from China. She was never married before and has no children hence no dependents.
Should we fill the form by putting N/A to every section for dependents?

Somewhere it said that all family members must be indicated (I assume parents are family members) but they are not dependents.
Do we put them in dependents section or just ommit it?

KTCYYZ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
Question : Photography to support relationship

We only have pictures taken by smartphones.
Do we still need to print the pictures in traditional photo size or can we send them in letter size print outs with several photos per page?
I am thinking the latter would be cheaper but also environmentally friendlier and easier to organize/present.

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Hello all

I need some advice

I am a Canadian Permanent resident and workinh at the moment
My spouse is on H1B in USA
I am planning to apply for spousal sponsorship in Nov end through New Delhi Office
So that might take another year or 12-13 months after Nov, if I m not wrong

We have to go to India for a formal ceremony in Oct 2014 for a month
I dont want to stay away from him after the formal ceremony
Is there a possibility that we can apply for his open work permit in canada as well as spousal sponsorship?
And so by the time his inteview call comes, he can be with me in Canada

Also, if I have to go to India for 1 month or so, can I come back to Canada and then go visit him in USA for another 2-3 weeks? OR that would be questionable?

Please advise

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Mitroh said:
We have to go to India for a formal ceremony in Oct 2014 for a month
I dont want to stay away from him after the formal ceremony
Is there a possibility that we can apply for his open work permit in canada as well as spousal sponsorship?
And so by the time his inteview call comes, he can be with me in Canada
He doesn't qualify for an open work permit just through marrying you. However he can try applying for a tourist visa.

If you sponsor him using the outside of Canada process - then he won't qualify for an open work permit at all. If he can come to Canada and you can apply to sponsor him using the inland (within Canada) process, then he will qualify for an open work permit once you have first stage approval (this takes around 11 months).

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
scylla said:
He doesn't qualify for an open work permit just through marrying you. However he can try applying for a tourist visa.

If you sponsor him using the outside of Canada process - then he won't qualify for an open work permit at all. If he can come to Canada and you can apply to sponsor him using the inland (within Canada) process, then he will qualify for an open work permit once you have first stage approval (this takes around 11 months).
So even if he applies for open work permit on his own differently, he wouldnt be able to do it?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
scylla said:

However, if you were applying in November it is likely that he will be done with the process. Keep in mind that the posted times are for 80% of applications - so many are done much faster. If you file outland now it seems likely that he'd have his landing papers by November 2014...

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
How long does take it take to get the passport back once they request the passport?
And when they request for passport, does it mean your visa is approved?
Also, when they call for interview do they ask for the passport then?

My spouse is in USA but we are selecting NDVO
So if he goes for an interview, does he have to submit the passport?
Also, once they request passport, you cant get it back right?
Because our formal ceremony is in Oct and he has to be present obviously, so if he doesnt get his passport back, he cant come :-(

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mitroh said:
How long does take it take to get the passport back once they request the passport?
It varies dramatically. The shortest I've heard for mail-in service is 1 week and the longest is ~6 years.

Mitroh said:
And when they request for passport, does it mean your visa is approved?
For your visa office? No, they like to "request" it way up front ("in order to expedite the processing of your application, we request that you send...") But they don't NEED it until you've been approved ("in order to continue processing your application, you must submit your passport to this office...") NDVO is unusual in asking for the passport very early.

When you get he second request they have approved the visa.

Mitroh said:
Also, when they call for interview do they ask for the passport then?
Usually they want to see the passport during an interview. They might request it, but if you have to travel and need it you could decline to LEAVE it with them.

Mitroh said:
My spouse is in USA but we are selecting NDVO
So if he goes for an interview, does he have to submit the passport?
Also, once they request passport, you cant get it back right?
As I said, they will want to SEE it, but he is not obligated to LEAVE it with them. When they REQUEST it he can decline ("I live outside India so it is not convenient at the present time for me to submit my passport. Please advise when you have approved the application and I will return to India for final visa issuance"). When they REQUIRE it he has to submit it to get the visa.

Mitroh said:
Because our formal ceremony is in Oct and he has to be present obviously, so if he doesnt get his passport back, he cant come :-(
Then don't send it until you're prepared. He has to do it from India anyway so hopefully it can all be done in September or October next year.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Daisyd5 said:
October 2012 so they are expired... Do you think once they ask for meds it means we are approved?
If it were the only thing they needed, they could extend (they have that option for 3 months after expiration but only if it is the one thing blocking visa issuance). So the fact they asked for another medical suggests there is something else still waiting. But if you aren't sure order your electronic case notes.

Heppster

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
26-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
KTCYYZ said:
QUESTION : Mailing address (form IMM0008)

In Form "IMM008" Section "Contact Information" it asks for mailing address.
We want to expedite this as soon as possible.
Is this mailing from the regional visa office or from CIC?
For example, I am sponsoring my spouse currently living in China (Visa Office : Beijing)
Is this mail coming out of the Beijing office or Mississauga?
If Mississauga, I would like to put my mailing address (since I live in Toronto) but if mailing will come out of Beijing, I would like to put her address to avoid unnecessary delays.

Thank you in advance for answer.
You will only deal with Mississauga for the first part of the application. If you provide your email address on your application forms then Mississauga would use it. The rest of the the process would be dealt with in Beijing, so it should be faster to put the China address on the forms if you want to make it faster.

Mitroh

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
computergeek said:
It varies dramatically. The shortest I've heard for mail-in service is 1 week and the longest is ~6 years.

For your visa office? No, they like to "request" it way up front ("in order to expedite the processing of your application, we request that you send...") But they don't NEED it until you've been approved ("in order to continue processing your application, you must submit your passport to this office...") NDVO is unusual in asking for the passport very early.

When you get he second request they have approved the visa.

Usually they want to see the passport during an interview. They might request it, but if you have to travel and need it you could decline to LEAVE it with them.

As I said, they will want to SEE it, but he is not obligated to LEAVE it with them. When they REQUEST it he can decline ("I live outside India so it is not convenient at the present time for me to submit my passport. Please advise when you have approved the application and I will return to India for final visa issuance"). When they REQUIRE it he has to submit it to get the visa.

Then don't send it until you're prepared. He has to do it from India anyway so hopefully it can all be done in September or October next year.
a1
So do u mean, i can send the passport whenever i want to after they have requested the 2nd time?
Once they request the 2nd time, cn we just go to NDVO and get it stamped there?
Because he has to come back to US

Heppster

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
26-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
KTCYYZ said:
Question : Filling Form IMM0008

The guide states to fill all areas including the ones that do not apply by putting "N/A"

I am sponsoring a spouse from China. She was never married before and has no children hence no dependents.
Should we fill the form by putting N/A to every section for dependents?

Somewhere it said that all family members must be indicated (I assume parents are family members) but they are not dependents.
Do we put them in dependents section or just ommit it?
For IMM 0008, you should fill out this form using the computer as it needs to be validated when you have it filled out. If you look carefully at the application, just before the dependents section there is a button to click that will remove that part of the application, making it shorter and less to print out. Dependents refers to Children, and not parents, unless you are providing for them, which you likely are not. You can then omit the dependent part altogether.

Heppster

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
26-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
KTCYYZ said:
Question : Photography to support relationship

We only have pictures taken by smartphones.
Do we still need to print the pictures in traditional photo size or can we send them in letter size print outs with several photos per page?
I am thinking the latter would be cheaper but also environmentally friendlier and easier to organize/present.
On our application, we printed out our pictures on regular letter size paper. Just make sure that the photos are large enough and easy to see and there should not be a problem with this at all.

Daisyd5

Star Member
Apr 30, 2013
computergeek said:
If it were the only thing they needed, they could extend (they have that option for 3 months after expiration but only if it is the one thing blocking visa issuance). So the fact they asked for another medical suggests there is something else still waiting. But if you aren't sure order your electronic case notes.

Hmmmm good point... I called CIC and apparently when they ask for meds you are at the end of your process. What are the electronic case notes?