+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My local MP has contacted the relevant IRCC office as well, several times.
I should clarify that we also applied for a PR card at the same time which perhaps means a longer time period before a decision is made; supposedly on the security check now although I don't trust anything communicated from the IRCC. No doubt this will take a ridiculous amount of time as well.
Have considered getting GMCS notes but not convinced I would receive these within 30 days.
What has the MP's office given in response - they should have got some, even if basic, info from IRCC.

You say you applied for a PR card at the same time - you mean for the sponsor? Was the sponsor in compliance with the residency obligation when the application was submitted? Be specific please.

Apply for GCMS. You say you've been waiting since August 2022; why would the 30 day issue matter, even if it was delayed? Doesn't make sense. If that should clarify that there is an issue, you might be able to submit info to address the issue. Or discover eg that there is a question about residency obligation and get appropriate counsel.

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
The PR card applied for is for the Principal Applicant my spouse.
I am the sponsor and meet the eligibility requirements.
Latest from my MP's office (as of Feb. 17th):

- eligibility passed

- criminality passed

- medical check passed; medicals on file were granted a validity extension to Jan. 21, 2025

- security check is in progress; IRCC agent noted that this check appears to be going smoothly

With regards to GMCS notes, I've heard from others on here that they have been waiting for several months to receive these, so I am not convinced I would get mine in a timely fashion even if applying for them.

Reactions: Jahprovideesp

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The PR card applied for is for the Principal Applicant my spouse.
I am the sponsor and meet the eligibility requirements.
Latest from my MP's office (as of Feb. 17th):

- eligibility passed

- criminality passed

- medical check passed; medicals on file were granted a validity extension to Jan. 21, 2025

- security check is in progress; IRCC agent noted that this check appears to be going smoothly

With regards to GMCS notes, I've heard from others on here that they have been waiting for several months to receive these, so I am not convinced I would get mine in a timely fashion even if applying for them.
No idea then, sorry.seems you've decided to just wait then.

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
I posted a few days ago that we're starting to file a spousal pr application for my spouse (inland) who is already in Canada on a closed work permit through his employer. While we are working on the documents and evidence, we've run into a number of questions. Can someone please help?

1. Medical exam: The application explicitly says do not do a medical exam until PA is told to. When I filed for my PR (through EE), there was no such notification or anything.. So what is going on these days with the spousal PR process, do we really need to wait until IRCC asks us to do the medical or can we just ignore this note in the application and do an upfront medical exam?

2. Spousal OWP: We were hoping that once eligible, my spouse would move over to SOWP instead of their current closed WP as they would like to move jobs soon. However, we do want to be aware of the worst case scenario - how long is the SOWP valid for once approved? What happens to the SOWP if unfortunately the Spousal PR application gets denied? We don't expect it to be denied or delayed but just want to be aware.

3. Biometrics: PA's work permit was applied for in USA in 2021 and therefore their current biometrics are valid until 2031. Will they still be asked to give biometrics again? Based on what we read in the application guide that's what it looks like, so want to double check.

4. Birth certificate: Is the PA's birth certificate a mandatory document?

5. Letter of explanation: What exactly is the purpose of this letter? PA's name on their birth certificate is slightly different from their name on the passport (first name has a space and a slightly different spelling in the passport versus the birth certificate). If birth certificate is indeed mandatory, then my spouse says they think they should proactively submit a letter explaining why this deviation exists (reason is literally stupid - it is a clerical error by someone while making their passport which they refused to rectify wayyyyy back... anyway).

6. Length of marriage before submitting application: We are married for just over a year at the time of submitting the application. Based on the questionnaire, it looks like there is more scrutiny for marriage duration < 2 years and no kids (we don't have any, yet). Along with the photos and other standard evidence asked for such cases, is there anything else we could submit as additional proof to prove that ours is a genuine marriage. Will it help if even the PA submitted their T4s, proof of income, proof of employment, etc. to demonstrate they are not financially dependent on the spouse? Also, will a letter by the sponsor to IRCC stating their story or request to successfully process the spousal application help?

Thanks in advance. :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Medical exam: The application explicitly says do not do a medical exam until PA is told to. When I filed for my PR (through EE), there was no such notification or anything.. So what is going on these days with the spousal PR process, do we really need to wait until IRCC asks us to do the medical or can we just ignore this note in the application and do an upfront medical exam?
There's no advantage to doing upfront and tends to cause problems in communication i.e. you'll spend more time and effort straightening it out that it's already been done and getting them to fix it in their systems, etc., than you'd ever save by doing upfront. They say don't do it - don't do it.

2. Spousal OWP: We were hoping that once eligible, my spouse would move over to SOWP instead of their current closed WP as they would like to move jobs soon. However, we do want to be aware of the worst case scenario - how long is the SOWP valid for once approved? What happens to the SOWP if unfortunately the Spousal PR application gets denied? We don't expect it to be denied or delayed but just want to be aware.
SOWP validity is more than enough to complete it. Don't spend time worrying about what to do if it gets refused. Should it come to it, deal with it then.

3. Biometrics: PA's work permit was applied for in USA in 2021 and therefore their current biometrics are valid until 2031. Will they still be asked to give biometrics again? Based on what we read in the application guide that's what it looks like, so want to double check.
All PR applicants have to give biometrics anew. (Well, except children under some age)

4. Birth certificate: Is the PA's birth certificate a mandatory document?
Believe so. Check the instructions.

5. Letter of explanation: What exactly is the purpose of this letter? PA's name on their birth certificate is slightly different from their name on the passport (first name has a space and a slightly different spelling in the passport versus the birth certificate). If birth certificate is indeed mandatory, then my spouse says they think they should proactively submit a letter explaining why this deviation exists (reason is literally stupid - it is a clerical error by someone while making their passport which they refused to rectify wayyyyy back... anyway).
Letters of explanation are to explain things that aren't already covered by the docs. Having a slightly different name on birth certificate due to a clerical reason is a good example. That said: I've never heard of someone having a name different on their passport they can't get fixed because passport MUST contain the actual name.* I guess in this case the difference is so tiny it doesn't make a difference.

*Obviously the name can differ from birth certificate if the name has changed, including by common law operation in North America, or for various other reasons like conforming with ICAO/international standards (allowed alphabets) or name doesn't fit or local rules like dropping middle names. But it should still reflect the actual name as written on other docs and as used by the holder.

6. Length of marriage before submitting application: We are married for just over a year at the time of submitting the application. Based on the questionnaire, it looks like there is more scrutiny for marriage duration < 2 years and no kids (we don't have any, yet). Along with the photos and other standard evidence asked for such cases, is there anything else we could submit as additional proof to prove that ours is a genuine marriage. Will it help if even the PA submitted their T4s, proof of income, proof of employment, etc. to demonstrate they are not financially dependent on the spouse? Also, will a letter by the sponsor to IRCC stating their story or request to successfully process the spousal application help?
Just go through the suggestions and submit what makes sense - use your own judgment. Note that the rules for 2 yrs/kids/first marriage etc are such that those that fit tjose criteria aren't required to provide much of anything for relationship evidence i.e. it's a big EXCEPTION to the 'standard' submission type. If you and your spouse reside together etc and no other red flags, it still may only get the normal level of scrutiny, nothing much to worry about.

Reactions: sonusweetie

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
My spousal application is in "background check" since Aug 2023. It has been > 7 months. Is it normal? Is there anything I can do while I'm waiting?

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
There's no advantage to doing upfront and tends to cause problems in communication i.e. you'll spend more time and effort straightening it out that it's already been done and getting them to fix it in their systems, etc., than you'd ever save by doing upfront. They say don't do it - don't do it.

SOWP validity is more than enough to complete it. Don't spend time worrying about what to do if it gets refused. Should it come to it, deal with it then.

All PR applicants have to give biometrics anew. (Well, except children under some age)

Letters of explanation are to explain things that aren't already covered by the docs. Having a slightly different name on birth certificate due to a clerical reason is a good example. That said: I've never heard of someone having a name different on their passport they can't get fixed because passport MUST contain the actual name.* I guess in this case the difference is so tiny it doesn't make a difference.

*Obviously the name can differ from birth certificate if the name has changed, including by common law operation in North America, or for various other reasons like conforming with ICAO/international standards (allowed alphabets) or name doesn't fit or local rules like dropping middle names. But it should still reflect the actual name as written on other docs and as used by the holder.

Just go through the suggestions and submit what makes sense - use your own judgment. Note that the rules for 2 yrs/kids/first marriage etc are such that those that fit tjose criteria aren't required to provide much of anything for relationship evidence i.e. it's a big EXCEPTION to the 'standard' submission type. If you and your spouse reside together etc and no other red flags, it still may only get the normal level of scrutiny, nothing much to worry about.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help clear the doubts!! Yeah, we have been living together for 1.5 years and have used the same residential address (can present evidence) for 14 months at least until today, so we have that evidence. I guess our biggest source of stress at this point is the name on the passport - it is something on the lines of "Josepha Smith" versus "Jose ph Smith" on the birth certificate versus passport respectively. Incidentally, all their Canadian documents show the name on the passport, and all their legal documents from their birth country except their driver license shows the birth certificate name (foreign DL aligns with passport). As requesting for a new passport is not practically feasible timewise, I guess it might be best to submit what is available along with a letter of explanation (and the foreign PCC may also indirectly take care of this deviation, hopefully in the eyes of IRCC)!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I guess our biggest source of stress at this point is the name on the passport - it is something on the lines of "Josepha Smith" versus "Jose ph Smith" on the birth certificate versus passport respectively. Incidentally, all their Canadian documents show the name on the passport, and all their legal documents from their birth country except their driver license shows the birth certificate name (foreign DL aligns with passport). As requesting for a new passport is not practically feasible timewise, I guess it might be best to submit what is available along with a letter of explanation (and the foreign PCC may also indirectly take care of this deviation, hopefully in the eyes of IRCC)!
So overall don't think you should worry quite so much. For the passport/birth certificate thing: what is not clear to me, even after your explanation, is which of these documents is correct about what the name is.

Bluntly: pick a lane. Which name is the real name? Stick to that, simple, short, factual letter of explanation, and fix what you can.

To me, what you[ve written suggests the birth certificate name is just plain wrong, and the passport correct. On top of it, some countries (would it be unfair of me to single out India?) seem to have consistent issues with names and other details (eg place of birth) not being consistent and contradicting other documents. IRCC won't be surprised.

If long term, the basic story is that the birth certificate is wrong and it can't be fixed: fix everything else. If the opposite, well, I don[t know, but probably also pick a lane and fix it. (Side note, might be easier in that case to finish the PR thing and then fix your name after with a change of name process. I don't know).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks so much for taking the time to help clear the doubts!! Yeah, we have been living together for 1.5 years and have used the same residential address (can present evidence) for 14 months at least until today, so we have that evidence.
Side comment, separate, don't see much to worry about. Most applications don't meet those 4 criteria for the super-light document submission. Without knowing all your details, married/living together for more than a year and presumably some relationship before that is probably more straightforward than, say, 50% of apps.

I made that number up. It might be 30, it might be 80, but it's well in the 'normal complexity' range.

Divya0109

Mar 19, 2024
Hi,
I have received PPR request on feb 23rd submitted my passport on 27th and it’s under process from feb 29th till now I haven’t received any updates my application is(spousal outland ) , Do any know still how many days it’s take to complete the process when i will receive my passport

Reactions: Home_13579

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
I have received PPR request on feb 23rd submitted my passport on 27th and it’s under process from feb 29th till now I haven’t received any updates my application is(spousal outland ) , Do any know still how many days it’s take to complete the process when i will receive my passport
Depends somewhat on location etc but up to 4 weeks quite normal

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Hi,

I am posting to inquire how much is the current processing time taken by Vienna VO Office for Spouse PR Application?

Does anyone have their application processed recently through Vienna VO?

Myself applied in June 2023, no update after medical in Oct 2023.

Regards,
Define

Last edited:

Canadaismyhome

Star Member
Nov 14, 2020
Good afternoon guys,

All my finger prints and medical exam alreay completed. And today when i check today it said
Latest update:
Final decision - March 14, 2024:Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

What does that means ? Does anyone know ?

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other
Hi,
It takes 15-30 business days

joaogabrielp3

Mar 14, 2024
Mississauga
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
09-06-2023
AOR Received.
17-06-2023
File Transfer...
20-09-2023
Med's Request
03-08-2023
Med's Done....
06-09-2023
Hey there,

We applied for Family Sponsorship in June 09, 2023. My spouse is currently in Canada, and we have two dependents in Brazil. We meet all eligibility requirements, and both the medical exam and biometrics were completed in August. However, since September, our application has been transferred to the Etobicoke office, and we have not received any updates regarding its status. Only the background check is still in progress. I am puzzled as to why it is taking so long, especially considering that the processing time has been reduced to only 9 months. Despite this, our application remains in progress with no updates.

The Application Status Tracker portal shows that there was an update on March 12, 2024, but the overall status remains the same. The most recent visible update was on September 20, 2023, which indicates that the application was transferred to the Etobicoke office.

Are there others who are also experiencing a lack of updates on their application status?

My timeline:

(Inland Spouse Sponsorship)

Sponsor: Citizen

Principal Applicant: Brazilian living in Canada

Dependents: Two dependents living in Brazil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 09, 2023 - Application submitted.

Jun 17, 2023 - AOR received.

Aug 03, 2023 – Medical exam requested.

Aug 17, 2023 – Biometrics requested.

Aug 17, 2023 – Eligibility completed.

Aug 18, 2023 – Pre-arrival letter received.

Aug 28, 2023 – Biometrics completed.

Sep 06, 2023 – Medical passed.

Sep 08, 2023 – Sponsor approval letter received.

Sep 13, 2023 – Updated passports received through webform.

Sep 20, 2023 – Application transferred to Etobicoke office.

Sep 23, 2023 – Ghost update.

Oct 05, 2023 – PA OHIP Issued.

Mar 12, 2024 – Ghost update.

Mar 14, 2024 – GMCS notes ordered through ATIP request (in progress)