+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
since September, our application has been transferred to the Etobicoke office, and we have not received any updates regarding its status. Only the background check is still in progress. I am puzzled as to why it is taking so long
Reasonably normal processing time, the gap between submitting medicals/biometrics and next steps is long and disturbingly silent. You recently got a ghost update, hoepfully they will move to next steps (visible to you) soon.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi there,
I am Permanent Resident in Canada and I am going to marry my boyfriend who is in India. We are in relationship since school time (almost 8 9 years). Parents from my side are against my marriage. So, I am going to do only civil marriage without my parents so that my boyfriend can come to canada. Once, he ll come to canada, We will tell my parents by my side. I have enough proofs before marriage to show that Its not ‘’Marriage of convenience’’. I have chats from last 8 years, I went to Dubai this January with him. I Photographs (some in India, some in Dubai, some from high school). Dubai tickets, etc But I am not doing any religious wedding or any tradition. My concern is that
- I am just doing the court marriage. I want to do traditional wedding when My parents will agree in Future. Will this create a problem that Why We are just doing court marriage not following any tradition such as in temple.
- Parents from my side will not be present in our marriage. Will this create a problem.
- Also, Last year in June 2023. I applied Visitor visa for my Boyfriend which got rejected. Will this rejection create a problem in my file.
(Please suggest all the other things that helps in my case)
Thank you so much

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Hi there,
I am Permanent Resident in Canada and I am going to marry my boyfriend who is in India. We are in relationship since school time (almost 8 9 years). Parents from my side are against my marriage. So, I am going to do only civil marriage without my parents so that my boyfriend can come to canada. Once, he ll come to canada, We will tell my parents by my side. I have enough proofs before marriage to show that Its not ‘’Marriage of convenience’’. I have chats from last 8 years, I went to Dubai this January with him. I Photographs (some in India, some in Dubai, some from high school). Dubai tickets, etc But I am not doing any religious wedding or any tradition. My concern is that
- I am just doing the court marriage. I want to do traditional wedding when My parents will agree in Future. Will this create a problem that Why We are just doing court marriage not following any tradition such as in temple.
- Parents from my side will not be present in our marriage. Will this create a problem.
- Also, Last year in June 2023. I applied Visitor visa for my Boyfriend which got rejected. Will this rejection create a problem in my file.
(Please suggest all the other things that helps in my case)
Thank you so much
No. All you need is a marriage certificate, confirming the marriage was carried out in accordance with the local laws. There is no requirement for religious ceremonies. My husbands family was not in attendance when we got married in Canada last year. He doesnt speak to his mother or stepfather, and his daughter lives in NY and was just starting a new job. All you need to do is explain the reasons. Just outline a solid history of relationship between you as it you were presenting it to a stranger.
You can try again for TRV once you get AOR when you apply, policy has changed and now the approval rate is much higher.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
No. All you need is a marriage certificate, confirming the marriage was carried out in accordance with the local laws. There is no requirement for religious ceremonies. My husbands family was not in attendance when we got married in Canada last year. He doesnt speak to his mother or stepfather, and his daughter lives in NY and was just starting a new job. All you need to do is explain the reasons. Just outline a solid history of relationship between you as it you were presenting it to a stranger.
You can try again for TRV once you get AOR when you apply, policy has changed and now the approval rate is much higher.
Thanks for your kind reply.
I heard that delhi immigration in India check the traditional ceremonies as well because its a tradition there. I am concerned about that.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your kind reply.
I heard that delhi immigration in India check the traditional ceremonies as well because its a tradition there. I am concerned about that.
I woudl be more cautious and read around forums here with smilar situations.

There is no formal requirement for traditional/religious ceremonies BUT definitely required in some cases, such as arranged marriages. IRCC can be convinced that a civil ceremony was appropriate in India, but bluntly, the onus will be on you to demonstrate that your relationship is real and the civil ceremony is the correct (or only) choice. (And yes, often because of inter-community marriages, family disputes, caste issues, etc)

This is the weakest part of your case, the idea that hyou're going to do a traditional one in future. Again, bluntly, it gives the impression that you yourself don't consider the civil marriage the real one either, and that you are doing so only for immigration purposes - even if temporarily. I wouldn't even mention such plans.

You say you have been with your boyfriend for a long time, but how much time physically alone? Have you travelled together, can you document that, etc? FI the rest of your relationship information is weak, it may take some time to get approved.

By far the best solution would be to convince your parents that you are doing this - getting married to him - and they can participate or not. If they won't, consider doing as 'real' a ceremony as you can, invite other relatives from your side, and check other tips on the board. Things like demonstrating it is a real and public relationship and marriage can matter. If you can't do a traditional ceremony, at least have receptions with people attending.

In the end, IRCC won't likely refuse a couple where the only notable difference is parents not participating. (Parents not approving is a universal problem across cultures). It's the in-between where it may make the approval more challenging.

[A side note that my impression is that IRCC is more understanding where the 'rift' is due to something insurmountable for the couple - like different religions marrying.]

Good luck.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I woudl be more cautious and read around forums here with smilar situations.

There is no formal requirement for traditional/religious ceremonies BUT definitely required in some cases, such as arranged marriages. IRCC can be convinced that a civil ceremony was appropriate in India, but bluntly, the onus will be on you to demonstrate that your relationship is real and the civil ceremony is the correct (or only) choice. (And yes, often because of inter-community marriages, family disputes, caste issues, etc)

This is the weakest part of your case, the idea that hyou're going to do a traditional one in future. Again, bluntly, it gives the impression that you yourself don't consider the civil marriage the real one either, and that you are doing so only for immigration purposes - even if temporarily. I wouldn't even mention such plans.

You say you have been with your boyfriend for a long time, but how much time physically alone? Have you travelled together, can you document that, etc? FI the rest of your relationship information is weak, it may take some time to get approved.

By far the best solution would be to convince your parents that you are doing this - getting married to him - and they can participate or not. If they won't, consider doing as 'real' a ceremony as you can, invite other relatives from your side, and check other tips on the board. Things like demonstrating it is a real and public relationship and marriage can matter. If you can't do a traditional ceremony, at least have receptions with people attending.

In the end, IRCC won't likely refuse a couple where the only notable difference is parents not participating. (Parents not approving is a universal problem across cultures). It's the in-between where it may make the approval more challenging.

[A side note that my impression is that IRCC is more understanding where the 'rift' is due to something insurmountable for the couple - like different religions marrying.]

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply.
We are from same religion but we have some family disputes. My parents want to marry me somewhere else but not with my boyfriend due to some other problems.
We were together in dubai 2 3 months ago for 10 days and we have some pictures when I visited India last year and other pictures too when we are studying together. I cant do any ceremony yet. Is there any way or the reason by which I can convince that why I am not doing any function but only civil marriage. I am going to start my study in May. Can I give the reason that I have less time and funds to prepare for any traditional marriage. or please give me any other suggestions
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply.
We are from same religion but we have some family disputes. My parents want to marry me somewhere else but not with my boyfriend due to some other problems.
We were together in dubai 2 3 months ago for 10 days and we have some pictures when I visited India last year and other pictures too when we are studying together. I cant do any ceremony yet. Is there any way or the reason by which I can convince that why I am not doing any function but only civil marriage. I am going to start my study in May. Can I give the reason that I have less time and funds to prepare for any traditional marriage. or please give me any other suggestions
Thanks
I suggest you 'pick a lane', commit to your situation - either do a civil marriage because that's the only option, or wait and do a larger traditional one later. Promising to do a traditional one later is NOT convincing, if anything weaker as a result.

To give context: there is a thing in immigration esp from India/Pakistan where applicants want to do a civil or smaller ceremony for immigration purposes but don't do or plan to do later the larger ceremonies. A problem for immigration fraud and separations/divorces because not 'really married,' esp given arranged marriages and other practices.

If you do civil marriage, do whatever additional you can do: reception, have friends/family attend, etc. If you can't afford a larger reception, do a smaller one but with friends/family attending. The least convincing will be only civil with no-one present (and repeat, your plans to get 'really married later' only undermine your position). That may not be unusual in USA/Canada/Europe but those are societies where cohabitation for years before marriage is now the norm.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I suggest you 'pick a lane', commit to your situation - either do a civil marriage because that's the only option, or wait and do a larger traditional one later. Promising to do a traditional one later is NOT convincing, if anything weaker as a result.

To give context: there is a thing in immigration esp from India/Pakistan where applicants want to do a civil or smaller ceremony for immigration purposes but don't do or plan to do later the larger ceremonies. A problem for immigration fraud and separations/divorces because not 'really married,' esp given arranged marriages and other practices.

If you do civil marriage, do whatever additional you can do: reception, have friends/family attend, etc. If you can't afford a larger reception, do a smaller one but with friends/family attending. The least convincing will be only civil with no-one present (and repeat, your plans to get 'really married later' only undermine your position). That may not be unusual in USA/Canada/Europe but those are societies where cohabitation for years before marriage is now the norm.
Thank you so much for the reply. Will his rejection on visitor visa will effect it. I applied for him last year as his girl friend.

majzik

Mar 21, 2024
Spousal Sponsorship current timeline:

Applied April 9th 2023
Sponsor approval July 26th 2023
Medical Biometrics passed: August 3rd 2023.
Additional police certificate (since old one had apparently expired after 6 months) January 26th 2024
February 1st, police certificate was submitted
February 20th, 2024, police certificate was received, however no updated that it had been approved.

VO is Vienna.
Basically we have no updates since August 2023. In January (before we received the request for additional police certificate) i sent a webform regarding the progress of the application. They replied that it is in queue. I sent in another webform recently, since we have had no updates on our application even after submitting the additional police certificate, and it has been almost a year of processing, i received no reply. I have also emailed my MP and i am waiting for a response, however i don't know how much that will help. I really don't know what else to do.

I don't know if another webform would even help at this point. I am trying to wait the 1 year mark since that is technically the estimated processing time. Should i send one then?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know if another webform would even help at this point. I am trying to wait the 1 year mark since that is technically the estimated processing time. Should i send one then?
Just waiting is an option.

I'd order gcms notes in the interim and see if that provides any information.

But again - sometimes the answer is just wait. It's still within the expected processing time.

majzik

Mar 21, 2024
Just waiting is an option.

I'd order gcms notes in the interim and see if that provides any information.

But again - sometimes the answer is just wait. It's still within the expected processing time.
Yes, and I am waiting. What about when it exceeds the processing times? Also, how do you order gcms notes?