+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Shah18

Oct 1, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
According to Canada's website:
If you’re being sponsored for permanent residence (PR) by your spouse or partner, you could benefit from faster processing for a visitor visa.

You may be eligible if you

• submitted an application to be sponsored for permanent residence
• received an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) that confirms the application is in progress

When your sponsor receives the AOR for your permanent residence application, you can apply for a visitor visa. If you’re eligible, your visitor visa application will automatically receive faster processing. You don’t need to request it.

You must still meet all of the requirements to be eligible for a visitor visa.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html
Thank you for the details!

akh136

Star Member
Apr 18, 2019
Hi akh136, I am planning to apply for TRV for my wife. I have submitted her outland application on March 3, 2024. Can you please let me know how you have submitted your TRV application? Also, is it after receiving AOR?
yes, it was after receiving AOR though the new GIC portal.

Reactions: Shah18

jAshAnjosan

Jan 19, 2018
Hi
I applied for my spouse’s TRV in December, my spouse is in Australia, the biometrics were done in January, we haven’t heard anything back since from the immigration.
The spousal PR outland application is under process since June 18,2023 which is when we submitted the application, the medical is done, my eligibility, as a sponsor, is complete.
The timeline is very slow.

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other
Hi
I applied for my spouse’s TRV in December, my spouse is in Australia, the biometrics were done in January, we haven’t heard anything back since from the immigration.
The spousal PR outland application is under process since June 18,2023 which is when we submitted the application, the medical is done, my eligibility, as a sponsor, is complete.
The timeline is very slow.
Did you try ordering GCMS notes? That's quite long.

Aika46

Nov 21, 2023
I am in the same boat.
PR Application submitted: March 3, 2024
AOR pending

Looking for some help for the TRV. Also, can we apply TRV before getting AOR?
Hello! I believe you can. We submitted TRV before the Sponsorship case but waited for 5 months to be approved with TRV

eric786110

Star Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hey everyone! Quick update for those diving into the March 2024 Inland Spousal Sponsorship journey. Make sure to check out this valuable discussion thread: March 2024 Inland Spousal Sponsorship. It's a fantastic resource to share and gather insights on the application process. Don't forget to contribute by sharing your application status and experiences. Together, let's make this journey a collaborative and supportive one!

XpressGirl

Jun 9, 2021
HELP

if adding my spouse to PR application and he has 3 children from his ex marriage who are in full custody of the ex wife, will I list the children as my dependents on IM008 generic form, or rather list them on the additional family information form? The kids will not be travelling with my spouse to Canada beacuse they are in full custody of tge ex wife. Any ideas where to fill them in the application form?

canfan555

Mar 13, 2024
Yes, according to IRCC website, the average processing time as of March 2024 is about 9 months for inland sponsorship and about 12 months for outside Canada sponsorship.

In case anyone wants a useful resource for all things spousal sponsorship, I found this site to be very useful. They also have a free download resource. Could be helpful for some of us.
>> Spousal Sponsorship Lawyer

Feb 12, 2024
That's a great summary of the pinned message on the forum! It covers all the essential points for someone considering sponsoring their spouse for Canadian permanent residency. Here's how you can craft a thoughtful and informative response based on this information:

Start with an acknowledgment:
Thanks for sharing this helpful information! It's a great resource for anyone considering sponsoring their spouse for permanent residency in Canada.
Pick up on key points and elaborate (optional):
You mentioned the three types of spousal sponsorship applications (married, common-law, and conjugal). Can you elaborate on what kind of evidence is typically required to prove a genuine conjugal relationship?
Offer additional insights (optional):
The decision between inland and outland sponsorship can be tricky. Are there any resources that can help someone decide which option is best for their situation?
End with a helpful closing:
Overall, this pinned message provides a great starting point. I would recommend referring to the official immigration website siis.ca for the most up-to-date information and application guides.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's a great summary of the pinned message on the forum! It covers all the essential points for someone considering sponsoring their spouse for Canadian permanent residency. Here's how you can craft a thoughtful and informative response based on this information:

Start with an acknowledgment:

Pick up on key points and elaborate (optional):

Offer additional insights (optional):

End with a helpful closing:
Go away, idiotic spambot.

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Yes, according to IRCC website, the average processing time as of March 2024 is about 9 months for inland sponsorship and about 12 months for outside Canada sponsorship.

In case anyone wants a useful resource for all things spousal sponsorship, I found this site to be very useful. They also have a free download resource. Could be helpful for some of us.
>> Spousal Sponsorship Lawyer
Avg. processing time is 9 months for inland sponsorship? I've been waiting since Aug. 2022 for these incompetent clowns to make a decision on our file. I find that timeline you reference hard to believe.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, applied from my home in BC.
This whole process sure has been an eye opener.
That's unusual. Have you ordered GCMS notes? Inquired through your MP?

Any obvious issues / red flags that might slow things down (eg spouse is a north korean general with a rap sheet)?

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
My local MP has contacted the relevant IRCC office as well, several times.
I should clarify that we also applied for a PR card at the same time which perhaps means a longer time period before a decision is made; supposedly on the security check now although I don't trust anything communicated from the IRCC. No doubt this will take a ridiculous amount of time as well.
Have considered getting GMCS notes but not convinced I would receive these within 30 days.