+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hi everyone. I hope you can help me with some questions and share your experiences.

This is my situation:
- I'm a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada.
- I work remotely.
- My fiancee and I will get married next month (in our home country - not Canada).
- I've been temporarily living with her since July (in our home country - not Canada) and my name is in her lease.
- She has a valid Canadian visitor visa.
- We plan to file the application in January from within Canada (we will be living together for a total of 7 months by then).

1. Our plan was to go to Canada in January and then file the application from within Canada to be considered an inland application while she waits for the application with me. Does anyone see any issue with this? What should I say at the airport when we arrive? Can I say that or should I say that she will just visit me for a while and then return? I was considering buying her a return ticket for a few weeks after we arrive just in case.

2. Since we have been and will be continuously living together since July (both outside Canada and then in Canada as soon as we arrive), would it be okay to apply under the "Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class" and check the option that "she is living with me" even though she is in Canada as a visitor? I'd put her name in the lease and get a cellphone bill in her name to prove her address is the same as mine.

3. The goal is for her to stay with me until the application is completed and also to apply for an open work permit, but her visitor visa allows her to stay for up to 6 months, so if we don't hear back about her work visa before 6 months, she would have to leave the country. Has anyone gone through this experience?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone. I hope you can help me with some questions and share your experiences.

This is my situation:
- I'm a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada.
- I work remotely.
- My fiancee and I will get married next month (in our home country - not Canada).
- I've been temporarily living with her since July (in our home country - not Canada) and my name is in her lease.
- She has a valid Canadian visitor visa.
- We plan to file the application in January from within Canada (we will be living together for a total of 7 months by then).

1. Our plan was to go to Canada in January and then file the application from within Canada to be considered an inland application while she waits for the application with me. Does anyone see any issue with this? What should I say at the airport when we arrive? Can I say that or should I say that she will just visit me for a while and then return? I was considering buying her a return ticket for a few weeks after we arrive just in case.

2. Since we have been and will be continuously living together since July (both outside Canada and then in Canada as soon as we arrive), would it be okay to apply under the "Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class" and check the option that "she is living with me" even though she is in Canada as a visitor? I'd put her name in the lease and get a cellphone bill in her name to prove her address is the same as mine.

3. The goal is for her to stay with me until the application is completed and also to apply for an open work permit, but her visitor visa allows her to stay for up to 6 months, so if we don't hear back about her work visa before 6 months, she would have to leave the country. Has anyone gone through this experience?
1. No big issue. Plenty of threads comment on airport issue: generally just stick to plan is to visit, don't bring all worldly goods with her, return ticket may or may not help. If pushed, you as couple might apply for PR sometime but haven't decided when. It's ok to change minds.

2. Yes, you can apply as living together in Canada even as a visitor. (Note: obviously in this case as married because you don't meet common law criteria - pointing this out for benefit of others really and to avoid confusion.) Putting her on lease etc is helpful here to demonstrate relationship and you residing together.

3. She would likely not have to leave the country, but rather apply to extend visit. Routinely granted (at least once) for those in process of applying for spousal sponsorship. Just be sure to apply before that six months is up.

Reactions: Funbox and ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
3. small correction to @armoured reply: applying for OWP allows to maintain status as long as the OWP application is in the process. So no need to apply for visitor extension. Just don't delay the PR application as you'll need an AOR to apply for OWP. Apply for OWP soon after AOR, don't delay until the last month so if the application is returned due to error in the application you still have time to reapply.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
3. small correction to @armoured reply: applying for OWP allows to maintain status as long as the OWP application is in the process. So no need to apply for visitor extension. Just don't delay the PR application as you'll need an AOR to apply for OWP. Apply for OWP soon after AOR, don't delay until the last month so if the application is returned due to error in the application you still have time to reapply.
Thank you, good point, I don't follow this OWP stuff much / at all.

Reactions: Funbox

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Thanks armoured and ERCAN. That's exactly what I had in mind. I'll apply as soon as possible after we arrive, so it won't take too long to get the AOR which will allow us to apply for the OWP.

I'm planning on having most of the documents ready before flying back to Canada, except for the proof of her address. I'll need to update my lease and add her name (this should be quick, maybe a week) and another proof of address (since the minimum is two). I suppose she could open a bank account as a visitor (not sure if that is possible), but it will take a few days (maybe a month) until we get her first bank statement with the address in it. Do you have any suggestions here? Another option is a simple cellphone bill in her name (apparently you can request a new line with Bell and you just have to say your address and they will put it in the bill).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks armoured and ERCAN. That's exactly what I had in mind. I'll apply as soon as possible after we arrive, so it won't take too long to get the AOR which will allow us to apply for the OWP.

I'm planning on having most of the documents ready before flying back to Canada, except for the proof of her address. I'll need to update my lease and add her name (this should be quick, maybe a week) and another proof of address (since the minimum is two). I suppose she could open a bank account as a visitor (not sure if that is possible), but it will take a few days (maybe a month) until we get her first bank statement with the address in it. Do you have any suggestions here? Another option is a simple cellphone bill in her name (apparently you can request a new line with Bell and you just have to say your address and they will put it in the bill).
If it says two pieces sufficient, two pieces is sufficient. No need to wait to add the bank statement.

Reactions: Funbox

sai23

Star Member
Jul 15, 2023
So Mine is New Delhi but Sydney should be lot more quicker than Others, I heard.
So you should be hearing something soon.
If you're referring to the VO in Sydney, Australia, then you can expect it would take some time. I'm not sure about the processing time for Sydney, Nova Scotia.

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Hi All,

After submitting the application today ,I have found out that in the IMM5532 form ,in the sponsor employment history ,I forgot to merge the additional sheet I created to provide work ex details for the remaining 3 months out of 5 years.

In the form ,the space was insufficient ,so I managed to fill from Sept 2023 - December 2018 ,but From Sept 2018 to Dec 2018 ,I was suppose to add additional info sheet.

Will IRCC return my file ?
Is there anything I can do ? I am worried as the time to get AOR is 2 months .

Maria0000

Star Member
Mar 15, 2023
Hi All,

After submitting the application today ,I have found out that in the IMM5532 form ,in the sponsor employment history ,I forgot to merge the additional sheet I created to provide work ex details for the remaining 3 months out of 5 years.

In the form ,the space was insufficient ,so I managed to fill from Sept 2023 - December 2018 ,but From Sept 2018 to Dec 2018 ,I was suppose to add additional info sheet.

Will IRCC return my file ?
Is there anything I can do ? I am worried as the time to get AOR is 2 months .
Hi! I advice you to send a webform attaching that document along with an explanation letter (let them know you forgot to attach before submitting).

Maria0000

Star Member
Mar 15, 2023
Update:

Application Submitted: August 10th, 2023
Inland
Sponsor: Canadian PR
AOR: September 26th
Additional Document Request: Original PCC. This request is odd because I sent the original with my application and no translation was needed because it was sent in french from Embassy.

Reactions: T0pubo

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Hi! I advice you to send a webform attaching that document along with an explanation letter (let them know you forgot to attach before submitting).
Thanks Maria for the response.

I have submitted the webform just now.

Cheers and Good luck with your application !!

Reactions: Maria0000
Sep 26, 2023
7 minutes ago
  • Applied in April 2023
  • Last I did was sending in medical examination
Hi. Could anybody answer a few questions I have about the moving part? My wife and I are currently living outside of Canada and plan to move there once I get my CoPR. I've read about the proof of funds that is required when landing in Canada and now I wonder how important it is. Could I be denied entry if I didn't have enough money even if I had a job offer? What also concerns me a bit is, that my wife is a Canadian citizen but has never lived in Canada and she is pregnant. Could not having enough funds and moving with a pregnant wife cause that I wouldn't get the permission to enter or my application to be cancelled?

annew6401

Sep 29, 2023
Hi everyone, I have just received my gcsm notes and on page 2 under assessments it shows criminality passed but in the notes section it says "A36 for PA review required".
Any idea what the issue could be? My police checks from RCMP and home country show NRT so nothing was found. It's been stuck at this for months any suggestions would be so appreciated!!