+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship outside of canada

Sep 26, 2023
Hi. Could anybody answer a few questions I have about the moving part? My wife and I are currently living outside of Canada and plan to move there once I get my CoPR. I've read about the proof of funds that is required when landing in Canada and now I wonder how important it is. Could I be denied entry if I didn't have enough money even if I had a job offer? What also concerns me a bit is, that my wife is a Canadian citizen but has never lived in Canada and she is pregnant. Could not having enough funds and moving with a pregnant wife cause that I wouldn't get the permission to enter or my application to be cancelled?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
What do you call enough? Just to get to Canada, you'll have to buy tickets, have enough to rent something to live in and buy food until you get the job. Will you have enough for that?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi. Could anybody answer a few questions I have about the moving part? My wife and I are currently living outside of Canada and plan to move there once I get my CoPR. I've read about the proof of funds that is required when landing in Canada and now I wonder how important it is. Could I be denied entry if I didn't have enough money even if I had a job offer? What also concerns me a bit is, that my wife is a Canadian citizen but has never lived in Canada and she is pregnant. Could not having enough funds and moving with a pregnant wife cause that I wouldn't get the permission to enter or my application to be cancelled?
Simple answer, it's pretty rare that they ask about the proof of funds on landing, esp with a citizen.

I do flag - even a citizen isn't automatically covered by healthcare on arrival (depends on province) and finding primary care provider can be EXTREMELY difficult. Hope you have a plan for pregnancy care.

Sep 26, 2023
What do you call enough? Just to get to Canada, you'll have to buy tickets, have enough to rent something to live in and buy food until you get the job. Will you have enough for that?
The buying tickets and living there before getting a job doesn't worry me. By enough I mean not as much as is required for the Express entry for a family of 2. I think I saw that amount was close to 18,000 CAD. But since I would have the CoPR is the proof of funds still required?

Sep 26, 2023
Simple answer, it's pretty rare that they ask about the proof of funds on landing, esp with a citizen.

I do flag - even a citizen isn't automatically covered by healthcare on arrival (depends on province) and finding primary care provider can be EXTREMELY difficult. Hope you have a plan for pregnancy care.
I've checked the healthcare part. We're planning on going in time to still get it but if not we have an insurance that would cover an emergency if there would be one.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The buying tickets and living there before getting a job doesn't worry me. By enough I mean not as much as is required for the Express entry for a family of 2. I think I saw that amount was close to 18,000 CAD. But since I would have the CoPR is the proof of funds still required?
I don't know about express entry. For family/spousal sponsorships, I'm not aware that they ever ask at border to show proof of funds.

Reactions: YVR123

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I've checked the healthcare part. We're planning on going in time to still get it but if not we have an insurance that would cover an emergency if there would be one.
So are you an Express Entry or Family Sponsorship applicant. This forum is about the later. In the FS, it's your wife who is responsible to take care of you so she must prove her ability to sponsor you. But actually, for the family sponsorship there is no strict cutoff values.
If you are EE applicant, it's better to ask in the appropriate section of the forum.

Sep 26, 2023
So are you an Express Entry or Family Sponsorship applicant. This forum is about the later. In the FS, it's your wife who is responsible to take care of you so she must prove her ability to sponsor you. But actually, for the family sponsorship there is no strict cutoff values.
If you are EE applicant, it's better to ask in the appropriate section of the forum.
I'm a spousal sponsorship applicant.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm a spousal sponsorship applicant.
There is no proof of fund required for family sponsorship. In the application, she already provide information on how she (with combination of your funding) can support the family. So if the application is approved, there is no additional proof of fund at landing when you cross the border.