+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
@Jazzed, @armoured, and @Kaibigan, thanks again, folks!

To update regarding the certified true copy issue: We managed to get a certified true copy of my spouse's birth certificate from the Consulate General of Mexico here in Vancouver. All we had to do was make an appointment 3 days ahead and pay $21 in cash for the service. My spouse went and picked it up with no issues.

Additional question:
- Now that we have a certified true copy in Spanish, we need to get it translated to English or French. It's noted that the translator will need to stamp both the translated copy, and a certified copy. We've phoned around to all the translation services out there, and none is willing to have us mail in the physical certified true copy to be translated and stamped. They say to submit a scanned copy online. Whilst we can do this, we are inherently making a non-certified copy by scanning it. Will this copy need to be certified by a notary public again once the translation is done and the scanned copy is stamped by the translator to certify that it matches with our original certified true copy we got from the consulate?

This is such a headache (and I apologise for another dense forest of a paragraph above but I hope it makes sense); we just don't want to risk having the application sent back as incomplete due to some stupid bureaucratic red tapes.

Thank you in advance!

Original post from me below:
Hi guys, hope everyone's having a lovely evening!

I (current PR) am sponsoring my wife (Mexican) via the inland spousal sponsorship application. We have a few questions and doubts, hoping any kind souls who've had experience with this process can help out:
  • Background: Under the Country specific requirements, it's noted as followed:
    • Mexico – Instruction(s) for documents
    • "Official documents issued by this country must be government-certified true copies (copies certified as authentic by the issuing governmental authority, signed and sealed)."
  • Questions:
    1. What are the documents that you need to get government-certified true copies of?
      • Birth certificate and passport? Anything else?
    2. How did you do get the government-certified true copies from inside Canada?
      • Did you visit the local Mexican (or your respective country) embassy?
      • Is the process different and separated for the birth certificate and the passport?
      • Please kindly outline a step-by-step process.
    3. If you had to return to Mexico or your respective country to get these certified copies from the "issuing governmental authority", please kindly share the process.
My wife has her original birth certificate here with her in Canada along with her current passport. We were initially under the impression that we just had to get them translated by a certified translator, and include a photocopy of the original and the certified translated copy in the package. We later found out that the photocopy of the originals need to be <fancy-pants>government-certified true copies</fancy-pants> as stated above.

As a veteran of this forum, I trust that there are people who've had the same questions and experience and are able to help. I combed through Google, this forum, reddit, etc., but was not able to find any clear answers. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :D

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We've phoned around to all the translation services out there, and none is willing to have us mail in the physical certified true copy to be translated and stamped. They say to submit a scanned copy online. Whilst we can do this, we are inherently making a non-certified copy by scanning it.
You overthink things too much. Listen to the translators in Canada - they've done this before, you haven't.

The way I'd ask them to do it: scan the certified true copy and have them attach that scan to the electronic version of the translation.

(In general while you're possibly technically right, reality in Canada is a bit more relaxed and the translators can be contacted by authorities [if needed, never happens] to confirm that what they translated was the thing. It's part of their professional thing to potentially have to testify and assume a small amount of liability for the power to certify things. A bit like a notary also has liability.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mapple007

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
@Jazzed, @armoured, and @Kaibigan, thanks again, folks!

To update regarding the certified true copy issue: We managed to get a certified true copy of my spouse's birth certificate from the Consulate General of Mexico here in Vancouver. All we had to do was make an appointment 3 days ahead and pay $21 in cash for the service. My spouse went and picked it up with no issues.

Additional question:
- Now that we have a certified true copy in Spanish, we need to get it translated to English or French. It's noted that the translator will need to stamp both the translated copy, and a certified copy. We've phoned around to all the translation services out there, and none is willing to have us mail in the physical certified true copy to be translated and stamped. They say to submit a scanned copy online. Whilst we can do this, we are inherently making a non-certified copy by scanning it. Will this copy need to be certified by a notary public again once the translation is done and the scanned copy is stamped by the translator to certify that it matches with our original certified true copy we got from the consulate?

This is such a headache (and I apologise for another dense forest of a paragraph above but I hope it makes sense); we just don't want to risk having the application sent back as incomplete due to some stupid bureaucratic red tapes.

Thank you in advance!

Original post from me below:

Don't take this the wrong way but you are absolutely the best.

My husband is half Russian half German and is a real stickler for all the rules and not to mention if I dare butch any of the two languages in my clumsy attempts to speak them with him.

But I think you have him beat.

To summarize I agree with @armoured you are over thinking

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
You overthink things too much. Listen to the translators in Canada - they've done this before, you haven't.

The way I'd ask them to do it: scan the certified true copy and have them attach that scan to the electronic version of the translation.

(In general while you're possibly technically right, reality in Canada is a bit more relaxed and the translators can be contacted by authorities [if needed, never happens] to confirm that what they translated was the thing. It's part of their professional thing to potentially have to testify and assume a small amount of liability for the power to certify things. A bit like a notary also has liability.)

Thanks a lot for the reassurance, @armoured !

We tend to overthink things, yeah o_O. I know from experience with my own PR application that they can be quite relaxed when it comes to the minute details. Albeit, they can also be quite inconsistent with that leniency, and we just want to make sure we have all of our bases covered. I think we've gone above and beyond what most people would do with their applications, so we'll try to relax a little with all the technicalities!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My husband is half Russian half German and is a real stickler for all the rules and not to mention if I dare butch any of the two languages in my clumsy attempts to speak them with him.
This reminds me of those stereotype-jokes, 'heaven is where Italians are the cooks [etc] and hell where the English are the cooks', etc.

Hell is Russian grammar and German precision. Ask your husband if he would ever actually say in real life "пятьюстами рублями" (declension of five hundred rubles). Only true freaks would.

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
Don't take this the wrong way but you are absolutely the best.

But I think you have him beat.

To summarize I agree with @armoured you are over thinking
You think you overthink things? I noticed that I wrote "overthink things too much", which is redundant, and I have to restrain myself from going back and editing it.

Oh the hell with it, I'm going to edit it, it'll annoy me for days otherwise.
My wife just read your responses and she said she'll need your contact information to start a support group/intervention for me, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Jazzed and armoured

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
You think you overthink things? I noticed that I wrote "overthink things too much", which is redundant, and I have to restrain myself from going back and editing it.

Oh the hell with it, I'm going to edit it, it'll annoy me for days otherwise.
By the way, I think that your original text was also correct if you consider "overthink" as a particular action; in which case, that action can certainly be done to an extent that is too much or too many times! :D

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
This reminds me of those stereotype-jokes, 'heaven is where Italians are the cooks [etc] and hell where the English are the cooks', etc.

Hell is Russian grammar and German precision. Ask your husband if he would ever actually say in real life "пятьюстами рублями" (declension of five hundred rubles). Only true freaks would.
The husband speaking, I'm trying to learn to cut her some slack LOL; noting she doesn't even have a Cyrillic keyboard installed. Proudly announcing no, even I'm not always that insanely precise, I just use пятихатка like any sane person, or Пятьсот рублей and declensions if I'm feeling extra formal talking with бабушка.

Last edited:

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022

@armoured Yes!!! Absolutely Hell.

Hanouni

Star Member
Jun 20, 2022
Outland applicants who are in Canada when they receive ppr can do the same virtual landing as inland applicants.

If IRCC knows the applicant is in Canada, they should offer this as default.
Are they automatically informed? Or we need to do something to inform them?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Are they automatically informed? Or we need to do something to inform them?
You need to update your address once you (or your spouse) has "moved" to Canada.

Did you submit address update to IRCC? If not, update via webform. (not exaclty sure how it's currently done )

Not sure what "automatically" means. CBSA will not update IRCC records if that's what you mean.

ravnish0302

Jul 7, 2022
Hello everyone! Just wanted to check for the average time it is taking to receive CoPR/PPR post completion of Biometrics and Medical. Also, post these 2 - what are the processing steps. I am sorry in case the the question is redundant, I wasn't able to join any Whatsapp groups since they are all full.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone! Just wanted to check for the average time it is taking to receive CoPR/PPR post completion of Biometrics and Medical. Also, post these 2 - what are the processing steps. I am sorry in case the the question is redundant, I wasn't able to join any Whatsapp groups since they are all full.
The tracking sheet is regularly updated. You can use it to find these answers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/192sbvjd4vJsEWY_B7w5DgFKBmIPNYo6TjlVWAk-xxxA/edit#gid=873641429

Last edited:

annasteve

May 3, 2022
Hi guys if we applied under common-law and if we moved to a new place, still in the same city/same province, do we only need to update our address or should we raise a web form with attachments proving we are still staying together? Thanks in advance