+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

pwild

Aug 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

I’m submitting a Spousal Sponsorship Application for my wife, and many of you seem to be very knowledgeable so I would be very grateful for some advice. My wife is American, working in Canada on an IEC work visa which expires in June, 2015. From what I’ve read here, outbound application to Ottawa CPC seems to be the way to go in terms of processing time. We haven’t gotten the FBI criminal record check done (will send in fingerprints to FBI this week), so I’m wondering if it’s reasonable to send in the application without them? And then send it in when I receive it. Or alternatively, could I have the FBI send the record check directly to CIC, and include a letter to this effect in my application?

Thank you for any help you can offer me :)

lounge

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Can principal applicant pay the application fee with his/her credit card? I asked because someone posted here that the name of the payer, DOB, UCI, ADDRESS, need to be on the receipt. My sponsor is a Canadian citizen with no UCI. So are we to leave the uci section blank or i should use my credit card to pay since i have all the information being requested for.
Thanks all

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lounge said:
Can principal applicant pay the application fee with his/her credit card? I asked because someone posted here that the name of the payer, DOB, UCI, ADDRESS, need to be on the receipt. My sponsor is a Canadian citizen with no UCI. So are we to leave the uci section blank or i should use my credit card to pay since i have all the information being requested for.
Thanks all
yes. it doesn't matter who's name the cc is in for payment. on the receipt, just put the sponsor's or applicants name depending on what the fee is for. if there is no uci # leave it blank.

shiela428

Jun 16, 2014
my husband just received his PR card last august 6, 2014 he tried to apply now his citizenship in canada would it be possible he stay to canada for 6years already. i and my daughter live here in the philippines is it possible if he includes us in his application for citizenship if we are not still a PR in canada? how long it would take to process a citizenship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
shiela428 said:
my husband just received his PR card last august 6, 2014 he tried to apply now his citizenship in canada would it be possible he stay to canada for 6years already. i and my daughter live here in the philippines is it possible if he includes us in his application for citizenship if we are not still a PR in canada? how long it would take to process a citizenship?
No - he can't include you in his citizenship application. You will have to become a PR first and then qualify for citizenship on your own.

nylra2014

Aug 9, 2014
Hi everyone,

Need your advice about my case.

i'm using single status in my government records, but i'm married but have been physically separated for almost 20 years. divorce is not an option here in the philippines. Now, when i fill out the application form if they ask whether i've been married before and I answer yes,will this create inconsistency against my other docs?

Hoping for your enlightenment.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
nylra2014 said:
Hi everyone,

Need your advice about my case.

i'm using single status in my government records, but i'm married but have been physically separated for almost 20 years. divorce is not an option here in the philippines. Now, when i fill out the application form if they ask whether i've been married before and I answer yes,will this create inconsistency against my other docs?

Hoping for your enlightenment.
I don't think it should create a big problem. You can list yourself as separated though on tax forms, etc. so this might be preferable to listing as single. You have been separated for 20 years though, which is quite a long time, so it shouldn't pose a problem.

nylra2014

Aug 9, 2014
I truly appreciate you insight, tink :),
at least I'm more relieved now. And probably just have to really disclose everything that I can. Plus a well-drafted letter explaining my situation (prepared by a lawyer here in our place) would probably help..

For those who still have other advice and ideas, please feel free to share them..

thank you in anticipation!

YHYY

Aug 10, 2014
Hello,

This is a great blog! Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice.

My fiancé hasn't completed two years in the Military. Is that a requirement before he can leave Cuba?

Thank you!

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Cuban men cannot leave Cuba unless they have fulfilled their military requirements but that is on your application and when he goes for his exit permit they will double check this.

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
I am trying to pay the fees of $1040 online and the payment is failing at cic website. Is anyone else facing the similar issue? Any idea if there is a phonenumber we could call.

swapnil005

Aug 10, 2014
Hey.

This is a great blog and gives a lot of answers. Thanks to moderators for maintaining it.

Here's my question:

I am a citizen of India. I am currently in US on student's visa. My I 20 expires by the end of August 2015. I have been in US since last 5 years. I am planning to leave US after that.

My fiance has a Canadian PR. She got her PR about 3 months ago and we have been dating since then. We are planning to marry legally next month in US. Is she permitted to travel outside Canada for her marriage without endangering her PR status?

When she puts an outland spousal PR file for me, which Canadian visa processing office does it go to? India or US?

The trouble is that if it goes to Canadian visa processing office in US, the processing time is 30 months. By then my student status would already have expired and if i am called in for an interview, i will have to hope to get an US visitors visa to attend the interview.

I want this file to go to India. Would i have to go back to India right now to marry her and stay there for this file to be sent to Indian Visa processing office?

Any guidance or help in this regard will be appreciated. Thank you.

Amaechidez

Star Member
Jul 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I humbly want the house to advise me on what to do. My wife is a caregiver in canada and has included me and our baby in her application for permanent resident . First week of August, 2014 cic canada sent her the mail below;

You cannot become a permanent resident until you and your family members have passed the medicals and background checks.
Our office in Accra will be contacting your family members. In the meantime if you are in contact with your family members please encourage them to comply with all requests as their compliance will help to ensure timely processing of your application.

Please Note:
The information requested above must be received at this office within 90 days of the date of this letter. If you are unable to submit all of the requested documents, you must inform us within 90 days of the date of this letter, explaining what you are not able to provide and why. Failure to inform us may result in the refusal of your application.

Please my question is this: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE ACCRA WILL CONTACT ME? I KEEP CHECKING MY MAIL BUT NOTHING YET AND MY WIFE HAS COMPLY WITH ALL REQUIREMENT JUST WAITING FOR MY MEDICAL RESULT.

Ghanaboy

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Acra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
Doc's Request.
13-12-2013
Med's Request
24-04-2014
Med's Done....
29-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-02-2015
LANDED..........
22-02-2015
swapnil005 said:
Hey.

This is a great blog and gives a lot of answers. Thanks to moderators for maintaining it.

Here's my question:

I am a citizen of India. I am currently in US on student's visa. My I 20 expires by the end of August 2015. I have been in US since last 5 years. I am planning to leave US after that.

My fiance has a Canadian PR. She got her PR about 3 months ago and we have been dating since then. We are planning to marry legally next month in US. Is she permitted to travel outside Canada for her marriage without endangering her PR status?

When she puts an outland spousal PR file for me, which Canadian visa processing office does it go to? India or US?

The trouble is that if it goes to Canadian visa processing office in US, the processing time is 30 months. By then my student status would already have expired and if i am called in for an interview, i will have to hope to get an US visitors visa to attend the interview.

I want this file to go to India. Would i have to go back to India right now to marry her and stay there for this file to be sent to Indian Visa processing office?

Any guidance or help in this regard will be appreciated. Thank you.
Once she has her .pr now,there's nothing to fear anymore,she can travel outside for her marriage and any vacation of her choice but she has to live in Canada for a specific number of days in a year to maintain her status as .pr

There's no problem conducting the marriage in the state and application processed in India,go ahead,no need going to India now

JAMO1973

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 6, 2014
AOR Received.
Nov. 19, 2014 AOR2 Feb.12 and request for PGR same day
File Transfer...
Nov. 24, 2014
Med's Done....
July 24, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 28, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 6, 2015
I have a question about the application received update. I sent our application last Sunday. The 3rd of August. It was sent by D.H.L. and was received in the mail room in Mississauga on the 6th. This doesn't constitute application received I guess. Does application received mean when they actually get around to looking at the application?