File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
In the checklist IMM 5491 for sponsor. My sponsor is submitting option c ie 17 as per checklist, employment letter ie 18 as per checklist. WHat is 19? I am not a co-signer so do we still send last 12 month pay stub of the sponsor?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
rhcohen2014 said:
seriously, i want to know where this belief comes from? Even before i was on this forum, i knew it was a better choice to apply outland, as it is a risk to leave canada while applying inland. As someon who can only be in cnada as a visitor, that was enough to have the lightbulb go off and say... apply outland.
It comes directly from the CIC website, which says:

If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-Law Partner;
OR,
If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class.
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

It is difficult for someone not schooled in the actual law and regulations to interpret this otherwise. I remember when I first was looking at this thinking it would be the only option at the time although I concluded after additional research that this was in fact not the case. I had reason to doubt, however, because the same section of CIC website told me my application would be refused in the first place.

rhcohen2014 said:
it seems to be assumed no matter what, if the applicant is in canada, the application needs to be inland. it's simply NOT true. I also firmly believe inland is NOT meant for people to cross the border, use as a reason to stay long term and apply for PR. I imagine when it was created, inland was for those who are ALREADY in canada for other reasons than visiting a spouse. Maybe that's a wrong assumption?
I've only come to a thorough understanding of this issue by reading IRPA, IRPR and the various OPs and OBs.

The general rule is that a PR visa must be obtained from a "visa office abroad".

CIC has done some very clever work here, as they have managed to define "Ottawa" as being just such an office (and how many people get despondent when they look at the LA/NYC processing times and choose to apply Inland instead of Outland, even though the CIC website says that US applications are sent to CPC-O!)

Part of AIP is that it actually permits the applicant to be an exception to this general rule: that they can apply from inside Canada. This is a common reason for submitting H&C applications as well: someone is already in Canada and they want to become a PR while remaining in Canada.

Much of this is driven by the fact that physical location is far less important today than it was even 10 years ago. Now someone in Mississauga can scan a document and drop it into something like Dropbox and it becomes visible to a visa office in Singapore within a few minutes - in such a world, we care far less about where things are done than we used to.

But at any rate, it is a common source of confusion rooted in CIC's own website language. CIC will hide behind the observation that the website is not the law but the harsh reality is that it is the primary vehicle by which people learn about CIC processes. So when CIC's website tells people they must apply for an extension 30 days in advance, people will spout that even though the law just says "prior to expiration". When CIC's website says "if your spouse/partner is in Canada, apply Inland" they do so.

RITIM

Aug 7, 2014
HELO,

I AM FROM INDIA, AND MY HUSBAND IS HAVING PR OF CANADA, WE APPLIED FOR SPONSORSHIP...
IN APRIL WE APPLIED AND WE GOT OUR FILE NUMBER IN JULY, BUT STILL NOTHING IS SHOWING IN THE WEB FOR STATUS TRACKING,

HOW MUCH MORE TIME WILL TAKE FOR WHOLE PROCESS...

CAN MY HUSBAND VISIT INDIA FOR VACATIONS, IS NAY RISK FACTOR INVOLVE...??

PLEASE REPLY AS NEED GUIDANCE ASAP............
THNKXX

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Hi,

I would like to ask, with regards to the explaining of the genuineness of the common law relationship, what is the best option in writing it on a separate sheet of paper? handwritten or typewritten? I know this is a very odd question, thanks for the help.

And one more thing, do wee need to fill up the form Statutory declaration of common law relationship? and notarized it?

Thanks for the help.

Roni07

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/01/2015
AOR Received.
12/03/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
CDN sponsoring an US citizen spouse.
- spouse lived in a different country as a child, not a citizen of that country, does spouse still need Crimminal record check from that country ?
- sponsor legally separated in process of getting divorced now. can sponsor marry in US or need to wait for divorce certificate before marring spouse in US and sponsoring her.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Roni07 said:
CDN sponsoring an US citizen spouse.
- spouse lived in a different country as a child, not a citizen of that country, does spouse still need Crimminal record check from that country ?
- sponsor legally separated in process of getting divorced now. can sponsor marry in US or need to wait for divorce certificate before marring spouse in US and sponsoring her.
Only if they lived in that country for more than 6 months, after the age of 18.
You need to wait until the divorce is final, otherwise the marriage will not be valid. You cannot be married to two people at the same time.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
LAKEWOOD said:
Hi,

I would like to ask, with regards to the explaining of the genuineness of the common law relationship, what is the best option in writing it on a separate sheet of paper? handwritten or typewritten? I know this is a very odd question, thanks for the help.

And one more thing, do wee need to fill up the form Statutory declaration of common law relationship? and notarized it?

Thanks for the help.
Most people type them, just for clarity's sake. Not everyone has nice legible hand-writing. I would personally type it, but that's me.

The statutory declaration is not needed, it's only if you have your spouse as the co-signer. However, some people include it anyway because some VOs ask for it, although no one is entirely sure why. Include it if you want to, it can't really hurt your application.

amakuku

Aug 8, 2014
Dear all
My application is Outland, I am Indian currently in India and trying to join my Canadian wife in Canada.

Can anyone advise on what could be the reasons behind an unexplained 4+ months of delay in the decision for Step 1; sponsor's assessment? On site its clearly written that step 1 takes 56 days !!

The only status we have got is that application received on april 22nd. Not a single updated afterwards. . in june 2014 We involved my wife's MP who also got the reply "The application is complete but still processing and we are still evaluating the case"Few days back on 8,5,2014 MP got same reply application is under processing.

It's the 4th month now with no update, ......................................Please let me know..thank you.

If Anyone knows a reason that might be causing a delay anything we can do?
it seems pretty abnormal to exceed 4 months with no update for step 1!

Please help

filipina311

Apr 3, 2013
Hi. Fyi, to anyone thinking of applying inland ot iutland and your from the philippines, take outland!!! A friend took 9 months to finish outland procesaing an dnow has his PR card. I applied way earlier, already 12 momths no thru inland processing and STILL NOT DONE WITH STAGE 1. Arrgggh!!!!

lounge

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi All,
Just a quick question for IMM 1344, its me and my sponsor only and no co-signer, what are we gonna put in co-signer signature and date. Is it N/A or i leave it blank.
Thanks all

NVJ

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
2 requests in error, nothing needed
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on ecas 19-10-2015
Hi,
We have just started the whole process and am feeling very overwhelmed and confused!

I am Canadian, my husband British. We have 2 kids - they have dual citizenship.

We've downloaded the forms for applying outside Canada, but there seems to be so many inconsistencies (my sponsorship forms ask for information in Canadian dollars, phone numbers can only be entered in Canadian format, etc) Also they are asking questions like "Has your spouse ever met your children?" but there doesn't seen to be any way to indicate that they are OUR children.

Also on his forms (Generic Application form) we have to list ALL family members and include them on the application as Type A dependants, although again there is no clear way of indicating that they are our kids and have dual citizenship (I can select two nationalities from them from the drop down box--is this sufficient enough?)

Has anyone immigrated with kids who were already Canadian but just a spouse who wasn't?

Thanks

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
NVJ said:
Hi,
We have just started the whole process and am feeling very overwhelmed and confused!

I am Canadian, my husband British. We have 2 kids - they have dual citizenship.

We've downloaded the forms for applying outside Canada, but there seems to be so many inconsistencies (my sponsorship forms ask for information in Canadian dollars, phone numbers can only be entered in Canadian format, etc) Also they are asking questions like "Has your spouse ever met your children?" but there doesn't seen to be any way to indicate that they are OUR children.
first, if it's more comfortable for you, you can print out the forms and write the answers by hand. if yes or no are the only options, then say yes. and then write "he has met our children, because he is the father, is their guardian, and takes care of them. they are dual citizens." it's either yes or no. the answer is obviously yes. it really is that simple. it's very easy to overthink these things. :)

NVJ said:
Also on his forms (Generic Application form) we have to list ALL family members and include them on the application as Type A dependants, although again there is no clear way of indicating that they are our kids and have dual citizenship (I can select two nationalities from them from the drop down box--is this sufficient enough?)
as your children are canadian citizens, they are not dependants in this situation. only dependants who are NOT canadian citizens will be in the application for sponsorship. your children do not need to be sponsored, so they don't need to be on the application. where you notify cic about them is in form 5406 "additional family information form".

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
I am trying to pay the family class - spouse processing fee online via the website.It says sponsorship application - $75 , principal applicant $475 , Spouse - $550 . I am his spouse and the principal applicant.Do we have to pay for both spouse and principal applicant?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
rs3710 said:
I am trying to pay the family class - spouse processing fee online via the website.It says sponsorship application - $75 , principal applicant $475 , Spouse - $550 . I am his spouse and the principal applicant.Do we have to pay for both spouse and principal applicant?
if you are the sponsor or principle applicant, you are not the spouse in this situation. that fee is for when 2 spouses are being sponsored together by a third person. for 1 applicant, the fees are $75, $475 and the final $490 (that doesn't have to be paid upfront). Total cost for 1 applicant = $1040

coolboy88

Aug 9, 2014
Hi..I am in a similar boat. I applied for my Wife's sponsorship application on April 3, 2014. Received AOR on June 14. However, no other update since then...I also emailed my MP and called CIC call centre several times..however, only same response that your file is in process. Its 4 months + since the file have been received at CIC and no SA approval. Anyone else have this problem or in same situation?