+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Grider001

Jul 26, 2021
Hi, I'm applying for a spousal visa and my question was can I apply while I was in India? I'm a PR and came to India for marriage and working from home until the end of the year. l review all the documents nothing mentioned anywhere that it will be any problem but want to make sure will it be any problem going further?

Note: Bcz of Covid-19, there are travel restrictions to Canada from India util 21 August 2021 and there is a high chance of extending it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I'm applying for a spousal visa and my question was can I apply while I was in India? I'm a PR and came to India for marriage and working from home until the end of the year. l review all the documents nothing mentioned anywhere that it will be any problem but want to make sure will it be any problem going further?

Note: Bcz of Covid-19, there are travel restrictions to Canada from India util 21 August 2021 and there is a high chance of extending it.
If by 'spousal visa' you mean applying to sponsor your spouse as permanent resident, you must be in Canada to sponsor, including when you submit the application. Wait until you return to submit.

Reactions: Grider001

Sed

Jul 25, 2021
Hi, I’m a Canadian citizen and I applied my husband’s sponsor for Canada about 39 days ago but I still didn’t get any file number. He lives in Italy. I want to know is someone in the same boat as me? How much time does it usually take to get a file number? Is the process getting longer?
thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I’m a Canadian citizen and I applied my husband’s sponsor for Canada about 39 days ago but I still didn’t get any file number. He lives in Italy. I want to know is someone in the same boat as me? How much time does it usually take to get a file number? Is the process getting longer?
thanks!
Same answer as the other time you asked - thirty to ninety days is perfectly normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: esam99

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Hi everyone,
Just out of curiosity, how long should one wait to email/ send webform after receiving pre-arrival to get status update regarding ppr.
Thank you.
Pre-Arrival does not equal PPR. Now, if you have Decision Made, which basically means exactly what it says : that a decision has been made on your application, then as time moves along, it may become more interesting. In itself, Pre-Arrival is a good sign but not at all a sign that PPR is coming right after. Additionally, it always depends on the VO and work load, as well as current restrictions in countries these days.

London takes its time. Patience is key and webform certainly won't change anything, won't make PPR come any faster...and, truthfully, you may not receive an answer (i.e. exactly what happened to me).

Reactions: armoured

Grider001

Jul 26, 2021
If by 'spousal visa' you mean applying to sponsor your spouse as permanent resident, you must be in Canada to sponsor, including when you submit the application. Wait until you return to submit.
Is there any special reason I should be waiting? My concern was there was a flight ban to Canada until 21st August 2021 and there is a high probability of it is getting extending because of the delta variant. If this is the case if I apply now should it will be a problem? It doesn't mention anywhere that I should be in Canada at that time. Just curious to know the answer.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is there any special reason I should be waiting? My concern was there was a flight ban to Canada until 21st August 2021 and there is a high probability of it is getting extending because of the delta variant. If this is the case if I apply now should it will be a problem? It doesn't mention anywhere that I should be in Canada at that time. Just curious to know the answer.
Don't know where you're looking, the regs state quite clearly PRs must be resident in Canada to sponsor. High risk if refusal if you submit when you are not physically in Canada.

Last edited:

LeaAmbrose

Star Member
Feb 21, 2021
Québec
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
App. Filed.......
14-01-2021
AOR Received.
25-02-2021
File Transfer...
26-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
28-07-2021
It literally says you cannot sponsor while outside Canada:
Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child
You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

• You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Yes, you would need to do the spousal sponsorship process from scratch if your spouse loses PR. Also, since you are a PR, you would need to be living in Canada while the spousal sponsorship application is processed.

Your spouse can only renew PR if they meet the residency requirement on their own. If your spouse's PR card is still valid, they can return to Canada now and then remain in Canada for 2 years straight to then meet the residency requirement and be able to renew PR.
Thanks for sharing that, So in case of 5 year PR, my spouse can enter canada just before 2 month (at 4 year 10 month already not in canada) and continue stay for 2 years ?

In this case what will be the legal status after PR card expire ? Does he can perform the job and search the job ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for sharing that, So in case of 5 year PR, my spouse can enter canada just before 2 month (at 4 year 10 month already not in canada) and continue stay for 2 years ?

In this case what will be the legal status after PR card expire ? Does he can perform the job and search the job ?
Yes, he can do that. Provided he's not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, he can remain in Canada for 2 straight years and then apply to renew his PR status.

He will have legal status in Canada during these two years and will be able to work.

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Yes, he can do that. Provided he's not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, he can remain in Canada for 2 straight years and then apply to renew his PR status.

He will have legal status in Canada during these two years and will be able to work.
Thanks for letting me know, Last question - Do you have any tip how to avoid this at border ? " i.e. failing to meet the residency requirement "

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for letting me know, Last question - Do you have any tip how to avoid this at border ? " i.e. failing to meet the residency requirement "
There are really no tips for avoiding this. The only thing he can do is be prepared to explain any H&C reasons for having failed to meet RO if he is questioned at the border and it looks like CBSA may report him. Suggest you read through the posts on this topic in the PR Obligation section of the forum.

Grider001

Jul 26, 2021
It literally says you cannot sponsor while outside Canada:
Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child
You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

• You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
Thanks for your response. I decide to wait until I returned to Canada to submit the file to avoid unnecessary delay.

Reactions: LeaAmbrose

Grider001

Jul 26, 2021
Don't know where you're looking, the regs state quote clearly PRs must be resident in Canada to sponsor. High risk if refusal if you submit when you are not physically in Canada.
Thanks for your response. I decide to wait until I returned to Canada to submit the file to avoid unnecessary delay.

Grider001

Jul 26, 2021
Can I apply for visiting visa for my wife before the spousal PR process. What will be the approval rate for it? I'm a Canadian PR holder.