+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Leon can you please help or anyone else who can
If he was on your application as a dependent then no, you did not sponsor him. If you got PR first and then well.. sponsored him, then yes, you sponsored him. In order to sponsor his dependent son for PR, his son needs to have been listed on his application as a non-accompanying dependent and would have had medicals done at that time.

pedipbk

Jul 2, 2021
Hi

Where should I attach the additional pages? Just after the form with additional page or right after the page with additional page needed? Should I write anything on the form to inform them or they know.

Thanks

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
If he was on your application as a dependent then no, you did not sponsor him. If you got PR first and then well.. sponsored him, then yes, you sponsored him. In order to sponsor his dependent son for PR, his son needs to have been listed on his application as a non-accompanying dependent and would have had medicals done at that time.
Thank you so much @Leon . This gave much clarity!!!

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Your spouse needs to meet the residency obligation on their own in order to renew their PR card. You cannot include your spouse in your renewal.

Is your spouse inside of Canada or outside of Canada?
thanks for answering the question, my spouse is outside but can come to Canada while applying for the renewal,

what would be the process in order to obtain the spouse PR, do we need to start the spouse sponsership process again ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for answering the question, my spouse is outside but can come to Canada while applying for the renewal,

what would be the process in order to obtain the spouse PR, do we need to start the spouse sponsership process again ?
Yes, you would need to do the spousal sponsorship process from scratch if your spouse loses PR. Also, since you are a PR, you would need to be living in Canada while the spousal sponsorship application is processed.

Your spouse can only renew PR if they meet the residency requirement on their own. If your spouse's PR card is still valid, they can return to Canada now and then remain in Canada for 2 years straight to then meet the residency requirement and be able to renew PR.

Reactions: YVR123

pedipbk

Jul 2, 2021
Thanks all guys for your quick responses

I am filling the document checklist right now and have 2 questions.
1.on my specific country requirements also I need to provide military service document IMM 5546 but as my spouse has not done any, in the document checklist should I mention it on second page question 7 where it says include the documents you have to provide based on your country specific requirements or no as I am not providing any since nothing has done by PA? or is it a good idea to mention it on the list on second page Q7 as it is required and reviewed it and next to it write by pen N/A.

2.Document checklist page 7 question 4 regarding military service checkbox. it says did you do military service? I answered no but how about checkbox next to Military service. should I check that as I reviewed that or not as not including any document?
Any ideas?

Dimilitantey

May 6, 2021
Any ideas?
I believe all required documents definitely need to be filled and provided even the country specific documents. However, any sector or checkbox not relevant to your situation you should SELECT NO as well as put N/A next to other irrelevant questions. Hope this helps your inquiry.

T27

Star Member
Jun 3, 2021
Hi everyone,
Just out of curiosity, how long should one wait to email/ send webform after receiving pre-arrival to get status update regarding ppr.
Thank you.

Dimilitantey

May 6, 2021
Hi everyone,
Just out of curiosity, how long should one wait to email/ send webform after receiving pre-arrival to get status update regarding ppr.
Thank you.
I don't really know if there is an accurate answer but I would say when you feel frustrated just send it. Doesn't delay the process. But personally I would wait till the 12 month average process time, unless it has already exceeded then send away that's what will do.

Reactions: T27

T27

Star Member
Jun 3, 2021
I don't really know if there is an accurate answer but I would say when you feel frustrated just send it. Doesn't delay the process. But personally I would wait till the 12 month average process time, unless it has already exceeded then send away that's what will do.
Makes sense, thank you.

Reactions: Dimilitantey

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,
I need suggestion for my scenario, will having job abroad(USA - my job location is 3hrs from border by drive) for first 2 months of spouse sponsorship process cause any issue to my spouse sponsorship application related to sponsor residency ?
  1. I am working in the US on H1B visa, I got my PR recently. We are in process of applying for my spouse PR.
  2. The company I am working for also has location in Canada, they are willing to transfer me there and let me work remotely when ever I ask them.
  3. I have my sister in US, I need to be able to visit her if she needs me. Because of COVID travel restrictions, unavailability of visitor visa slots for the US, I am planning to continue being on H1B until I receive AOR or for first 2 months after I submit my application - which ever is the earliest. This way with H1B considered as essential travel, I can visit her if needed. I will be living in Canada working remotely for my company and travel just for a day if needed.
  4. Later, I will transfer my job to Canada and update my Canadian offer letter and pay checks to IRCC so that they know that I am working there.
Please suggest, if I am doing something wrong that could hurt my process.
Too much contradictory or ambiguous information above, not clear what your scenario is.

Simple things that matter: as a PR to sponsor your spouse, you must be residing in Canada - physical presence the primary thing there. You will need to show you can support yourself: would suggest receiving your salary in Canada and paying taxes on it (even if employer is still in USA formally) the obvious way to show this.*

All the rest is excess verbiage and mostly irrelevant. Stay in Canada, keep your trips outside Canada short. If they think you're not residing in Canada, it may take much longer or get cancelled. If you try and 'game' it by spending lots of time in USA and prioritizing keeping your usa visa etc, that's your problem.

Note due to issue below you MIGHT be better off waiting to do this until you formally get transferred to canadian affiliate.

*I do not know if there is any tax issue for you or company of being a PR working for a US company that has Canadian branches you could be employed at. It could potentially be an issue if that ends up being lower taxes for either of you. I repeat - I do not know, was primarily commenting on the immigration aspect.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, in simple, having a job, payroll abroad/ USA living in Canada for first 2 months of the spouse sponsorship process lead to any issues with residency ? After the first 2months, will transfer my to job and as soon as I receive AOR will update the Canadian offer letter and paystubs to IRCC. Tax purpose its not an issue as its only 2 months. My work is remote now, i need to come to USA often, if needed to come to USA i will keep them short. Would it cause any issue ?
I can't understand your question as phrased nor tell you. They care primarily that you are resident in Canada.

LeaAmbrose

Star Member
Feb 21, 2021
Québec
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
App. Filed.......
14-01-2021
AOR Received.
25-02-2021
File Transfer...
26-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
28-07-2021
Thank you, in simple, having a job, payroll abroad/ USA living in Canada for first 2 months of the spouse sponsorship process lead to any issues with residency ? After the first 2months, will transfer my to job and as soon as I receive AOR will update the Canadian offer letter and paystubs to IRCC. Tax purpose its not an issue as its only 2 months. My work is remote now, i need to come to USA often, if needed to come to USA i will keep them short. Would it cause any issue ?
It sounds confusing. Like you will be “living” in Canada, but really spending most of the first two months in the US. I don’t think IRCC will like that. It would be safer to apply when you can honestly say that you are residing in Canada. With extremely short trips in small small frequency to the US.
That is the downside of sponsoring as a PR.

I guess what I am saying is that if we are confused with your situation, IRCC will most definitely be confused and that is not a state you want them to be in.

Reactions: armoured