+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

mr.gk

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Hi,

I would like to know how much time should I spend with my spouse after the court registered marriage? As I did a short landing, then returned home for marriage, and as you know that sponsorship process dictates my availability there in Canada.

Thanks.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
mr.gk said:
Hi,

I would like to know how much time should I spend with my spouse after the court registered marriage? As I did a short landing, then returned home for marriage, and as you know that sponsorship process dictates my availability there in Canada.

Thanks.
That really depends on your particular situation. There is no set magic number. Do you have a lot of proof that your marriage is genuine? Have you visited in the past? Is a court marriage normal for both of your cultures? And so on.

Feb 14, 2016
Hi

Am going to work in Canada on work permit for 2 years from my company. My wife is having dependent Visa, is my wife eligible to work in Canada?

is she need apply for work permit once she is landed in Canada?

Can any one help me with the required information?

Regards
Jaganmohan K

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jaganmohan Kodali said:
Hi

Am going to work in Canada on work permit for 2 years from my company. My wife is having dependent Visa, is my wife eligible to work in Canada?

is she need apply for work permit once she is landed in Canada?

Can any one help me with the required information?

Regards
Jaganmohan K
Post your question to the Foreign Workers section of the forum.

Avantika@25

Nov 27, 2015
I have applied for vistor visa twice.
It got rejected both the times.

I lost all hopes on visitor visa :(
I have sent my PR application in December 26th.
I did not get my sponsorship approval yet.

As my husband is citizen of Canada, he is thinking to move to US on TN visa, till i get my PR. (as both of us lost hope on visitor visa to Canada and we are not able to stay separate).
If he moves to Canada, I can move to US on TN dependent visa .He is also planning to quit job in Canada for my sake, so that we can stay together.
Is this a wise decision? Will this effect on my ongoing spousal PR application?
Please suggest me.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Avantika@25 said:
I have applied for vistor visa twice.
It got rejected both the times.

I lost all hopes on visitor visa :(
I have sent my PR application in December 26th.
I did not get my sponsorship approval yet.

As my husband is citizen of Canada, he is thinking to move to US on TN visa, till i get my PR. (as both of us lost hope on visitor visa to Canada and we are not able to stay separate).
If he moves to Canada, I can move to US on TN dependent visa .He is also planning to quit job in Canada for my sake, so that we can stay together.
Is this a wise decision? Will this effect on my ongoing spousal PR application?
Please suggest me.
He would have to notify the CIC that he has moved. Because he'll be sponsoring you from *outside* Canada at that point, he would have to prove that he intends to return to Canada (job offers, etc). It would make things more complicated, for sure, but as long as you keep in mind that you'll need to prove intent to return, it should be alright.

htquach

Feb 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 4, 2016
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016; AOR2: April 1, 2016
File Transfer...
March 22, 2016
Med's Done....
January 10, 2016
Interview........
Queued: August 25, 2016 - Interview: October 18, 2016
Passport Req..
November 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
Touchdown... YEG!!! December 26, 2016
Does applying for a visitor visa impact your PR application? I have heard that it does especially if you are denied the visitor visa. Is this CIC urban legend?

Farhan985

Jun 14, 2013
Hi This is Farhan Haider, comparatively a new member....

I am a PR holder, got my PR card back in August 2013, stayed there 03 Months and came back to my homeland in October 2013...

Its been almost 2 years and four months since I am out of Canada..

I will be going back to Canada in next couple of months in order to secure my PR as I understand the obligations.

My question here is, I got married 6 months back and I need to initiate the process of my spouse for immigration.

should I have to be physically present in Canada for the initiation of spousal sponsorship???

I will appreciate, if any of the senior member guide me and share me the process of application, in case I can apply while living outside Canada.

Best Regards,
Farhan.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Farhan985 said:
Hi This is Farhan Haider, comparatively a new member....

I am a PR holder, got my PR card back in August 2013, stayed there 03 Months and came back to my homeland in October 2013...

Its been almost 2 years and four months since I am out of Canada..

I will be going back to Canada in next couple of months in order to secure my PR as I understand the obligations.

My question here is, I got married 6 months back and I need to initiate the process of my spouse for immigration.

should I have to be physically present in Canada for the initiation of spousal sponsorship???

I will appreciate, if any of the senior member guide me and share me the process of application, in case I can apply while living outside Canada.

Best Regards,
Farhan.
As a PR, you must be residing in Canada throughout the process. You cannot sponsor from abroad, though short trips are permitted.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
We December folk are having a situation where the applicant side on eCas is changing to In Process before people are getting SA via email or mail. Any ideas? I thought the applicant changing to IP meant it was transferred to the second VO

Jiminito

Aug 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

We had sent our marriage certificate from Hungary, but CIC just sent an email asking for a provincial marriage certificate? Has anyone experienced this problem?

ServiceOntario said we cannot get a certificate if we're not married in Ontario/Canada. There's no way we can get married again in Ontario and register for the certificate in 1 months time for the submission deadline.

Did the CIC agent just disregard our foreign marriage or is he/she just being difficult? Can they reject the application like that?

Thanks, any input would be really helpful.

J

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Farhan985 said:
Short trip mean? Visit Visa?

I heard that you cannot apply for immigration and visit visa both at same time.
Short trips, generally under 3 weeks. Otherwise CIC may decide that you are no longer residing in Canada, and therefore not eligible to sponsor.

You can apply for a TRV for your spouse and PR as well. There is no problem doing both at the same time, although the chances of success are generally low for spouses of Canadian citizens and PRs, due to the risk of overstay and lack of ties to the home country.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Jiminito said:
Hi everyone,

We had sent our marriage certificate from Hungary, but CIC just sent an email asking for a provincial marriage certificate? Has anyone experienced this problem?

ServiceOntario said we cannot get a certificate if we're not married in Ontario/Canada. There's no way we can get married again in Ontario and register for the certificate in 1 months time for the submission deadline.

Did the CIC agent just disregard our foreign marriage or is he/she just being difficult? Can they reject the application like that?

Thanks, any input would be really helpful.

J
As long as your marriage is legal in the country you were married in, Canada (and CIC) recognises it. No need for a provincial certificate. What exactly did the email say?

Send in a case-specific enquiry explaining this situation.

Slq

Feb 15, 2016
Hey! I have the same question. I recently got married and my husband is a canadian citizen. Im a pakistani completing my medical studies. My original educational documents are under the custody of my university untill my education is completed. What should i do? One more qs, i changed my status from single to married in nic so do i have to change it in my passport? My given and sirname is same in all documents.