+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Baba 1234

Jul 27, 2011
Hi, I need your expert opinion/advice,

My wife applied for immigration to canada under federal skilled class. She included my and the children's name in her application and we completed all the documents as well. However, i was shown as non-accompanying spouse as i cannot travel in next 2 years due my present job status. Now i've learnt that spouse sponsorship case is taking 23 months from my country which will start after wife lands at canada and starts her job and then applies for my sponsorship. I need your recommendation that what should i do?

a. Apply for change of my status in my wife's application which is in initial stage of processing.
b. Follow staus quo and let my wife first land at canada and then apply for my immigration through spouse sponsorship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for change of status. They already need to do the medicals and background checks anyway regardless of if you are accompanying or not so you might as well just do it once. If she applies to sponsor you, you would need new medicals and a new PCC. When you get the PR visa, if you are not ready to move to Canada before the expiry date, you can just go and land and then return home. You can be outside Canada for up to 3 years out of every 5 without losing your PR.

Baba 1234

Jul 27, 2011
thanks for the prompt respone, just one more question that does the application for change of my status will affect the time of proceesing for my wife's case.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baba 1234 said:
thanks for the prompt respone, just one more question that does the application for change of my status will affect the time of proceesing for my wife's case.
It might delay it a bit but either that or spend months waiting to be sponsored.

depressed

Jul 27, 2011
hi all
i am not sure if i am doing this correctly, i entered canada on 2006 with my 2 daughters on a visitor
visa to visit my mom who is a canadian citizen, applied for refugee after one year of wating my eldest daughter decided she wants to go back to home country, she was 17 yrs, i sent her back
and withdrew her refugee claim, during my wait for the trial, i met a pr and fell in love got married and moved to ontario with my other daughter, my lawyer told me not to file sponsorship and wait for the refugee trial, at the trial i was refused as a refugee so we filed sponsorship , that was may 2010, we got first stage of approval on feb 2011, because i had to include my other daughter, i am still waiting for her to do her medicals and send them to the damascuss visa office, to make my story short, our relation between me and my husband is not good, we argue a lot and we are not speaking or sleeping with each other, he is always threatening to withdraw the application, i am very unhappy and want to move out but i dont know if i have any rights, i am working and have a work permit, but what are my options if he withdrew , will they instantly send me to my country?
is there anything i can do ? thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he withdraws the application at some point before you get your PR, your work permit will not be valid any more. I think you have 90 days to restore your status or leave.

tobocharge

Jul 27, 2011
Please i need help, i am a nigerian living in north cyprus and i am married to a canadian, my wife is older than me with about 19yrs,but we are really in love with each other, as we have been married since 2009,i just got my appointment date, i will like an heads up on questions the visa office will ask, is our age difference going to be a problem for us,please your advice is really needed asap.

myks

Jul 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
File Transfer...
05/09/2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
10/06/2014
hi!can an accounting graduate from the Phil. get a job related to his/her course in Canada without any need to study again? thank you!

kervito

Jul 9, 2011
HI I AM NEW TO THIS RORUM ,, I NEED HELP, RIGHT AWAY,, I AM CANADIAN CITIZEN WANTS TO ESPONSOR MY HUSBAND WHO LIVES IN
CALIFORNIA ILLEGALLY , WE ARE LEGGALLY HAVE 2 KIDS, AND NOW I WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA TOGETHER, HOW I START THE PROCESS,,
IF SOMEONES KNOWS PLEASE HELPPPPPP,,, :( :'(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kervito said:
HI I AM NEW TO THIS RORUM ,, I NEED HELP, RIGHT AWAY,, I AM CANADIAN CITIZEN WANTS TO ESPONSOR MY HUSBAND WHO LIVES IN
CALIFORNIA ILLEGALLY , WE ARE LEGGALLY HAVE 2 KIDS, AND NOW I WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA TOGETHER, HOW I START THE PROCESS,,
IF SOMEONES KNOWS PLEASE HELPPPPPP,,, :( :'(
If you want someone to walk you through this step by step, you might be better off hiring a lawyer or a consultant. If you want to do it yourself, you have to do a bit of research. You can find your application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp and you can read the other posts in this thread, especially the first one.

D

dutchboy54

Sorry people, I just had an interesting question or what I believe to be interesting, come across my mind. Before I departed for Ukraine to marry my wife all the forms indicated that my wife must wait for VO to request medical and Police check. When I was in Ukraine about one month later I read an update on CIC website for Ukraine that medical must be submitted. We did medical. After I returned to Canada I saw another update on June 15 that she should also submit the Police check. We did this and included it in the app. but again delayed us in filing. Now my question is..... According to the processing time on CIC and last updated April 27, 2011 it indicated the time of 8 months. All these changes took place after I received the app kit. So that would mean that the 8 months included waiting for Kiev to request medical and police check. So now by submitting them with the app does that lower the wait time for the PR and if so by how much would one safely guess in time.

G.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The medical and police check were ALWAYS required at the beginning of the process for a spousal sponsorship. You probably just read the wrong set of instructions (one of the economic classes) or the GENERAL instructions (again, apply to economic classes of immigration) on the Ukraine CIC website. There are no changes that have occurred recently to this class that will have an impact on your processing.

mcayetano

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im sponsoring my wife and i checked the updates on her ecas and she has her address on the status but it is incomplete address and when we filed our application we put the whole address on the application.what should i do about this or has anyone been in the same position? if anyone can help me pls do so!!! Thanks

familyguy33

Jul 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011
Med's Done....
09-08-2011
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
rjessome said:
The medical and police check were ALWAYS required at the beginning of the process for a spousal sponsorship. You probably just read the wrong set of instructions (one of the economic classes) or the GENERAL instructions (again, apply to economic classes of immigration) on the Ukraine CIC website. There are no changes that have occurred recently to this class that will have an impact on your processing.
Hi rjessome,

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I read that you have to wait for a request from the immigration office. I read it in CIC website on how to obtain police certificate in Singapore, it says this:

For Non-Singapore Citizens

A COC request letter along with a COC Appeal Application Form will be sent to you by the Immigration Office after reviewing the application. You are required to complete the COC Appeal Application Form, plus a COC Application Form that you may obtain from the SPF website (please see address above). Once you have completed the forms, provide the required supporting documents listed above, and submit in-person or by mail to the COC Office. Please note that the Certificate of Clearance (COC) will be mailed directly to the Canadian immigration office requesting the certificate.

So I guess in this case you have to wait for the immigration office?

D

dutchboy54

Yes Familyguy33, I have the same instructions mailed to me by CIC back in February 2011 and when I returned in june the instructions were updated on CIC Site. That is why I posed this question as since it is done at time of submitting the app does that not in fact cut the processing time.