+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

Haire Gabriela

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hello,

I need an advice. My application has been returned. I just have to redo it IMM 5406. I sent it on November 29, 2017. During that time my common law partner was on visitor status which expired on December 15th, 2017. In the same time together with sponsorship application we submitted work permit application, and also extension of visitor status in Vergeville. Now that it has been returned after 2 months of waiting because of mistake on IMM 5406, should I just redo it IMM 5406 and resubmit with rest of the forms and maybe write short explanation letter of how my application was sent on November 2017 and has been returned on January 2018 or I have to fill out everything once again? Thank you!
I'm honestly not sure because I didn't get mine returned, but I'm sure someone else here can help you with it so I'm just going to bump your message in case people missed it.

spacemonkey1o1

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm honestly not sure because I didn't get mine returned, but I'm sure someone else here can help you with it so I'm just going to bump your message in case people missed it.
Have you taken any French courses since getting to Quebec? I think it doesn't make sense that you cant sign up for the free government classes until you have your work permit because once I get my work permit I want to work not take classes. I have the time now to take the classes since I cant work haha

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
The official website of immigration Québec has the requirements to apply for CSQ, I'm not sure where exactly though, since he's in the skilled worker program and I just tried through family sponsorship.
I'm not sure if I understand what you meant. So you applied PR for another province, but then you moved to Quebec, and you applied for CSQ through family sponsorship?

Amsadek4u

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Doc's Request.
15-07-2017
AOR Received.
13-07-2017
So after the lady at the call centre told me to send the web form to IRCC asking about the mail I received that said I can only get my OWP after sponsor approval since I have no valid status, even though when I sent the application and when they received it I was still a visitor. Today I got an email back and this is what it said

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We have received your enquiry regarding the decision made on your application.

Please consult the decision letter that was sent to you on January 10, 2018, in order to obtain further details.
I think your validity to stay in Canada as a visitor which usually not more than Six months, if not extended, expired long before the visiting visa expires in November 7.

1. When did you get into Canada?
2. How many years visitor visa do you have?
3. How many months of validity of stay was stamped on your passport by the officer at the port of entry?

If it’s not what am thinking, there’s virtually no way they would have told you that you had no valid status, as your case implied.

But we should understand that there is a difference between visitor visa expiration date, and the visitor time validity of stay in the country.

Please answer the questions above. And we will understand your case better.

Haire Gabriela

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Quebec, Canada
I'm not sure if I understand what you meant. So you applied PR for another province, but then you moved to Quebec, and you applied for CSQ through family sponsorship?
No, what I meant is that skilled workers have their own way of requesting CSQ, forms and requirements are different, and that he should check the midi website or the immigration Québec forum.

Haire Gabriela

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Have you taken any French courses since getting to Quebec? I think it doesn't make sense that you cant sign up for the free government classes until you have your work permit because once I get my work permit I want to work not take classes. I have the time now to take the classes since I cant work haha
The thing is that French classes aren't suppose for tourists, I guess. I got my OWP and CSQ on November and I requested for full time classes right after, I was admitted to the full time program on December 5th and here I am, still waiting for them to let me know when and where I'm supposed to register myself and start (they are supposed to send you an email). And well, I honestly haven't been able to find a job without being able to speak French, it seems to be indispensable around here.

Reactions: spacemonkey1o1

AshaMc

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
you have to send the whole owp application again with a total of $255 fees.. make sure that 5710 form is the updated version.. if im not mistaken they update it last october 2017 so double check .gudluck.
Did they return your pr application as well or just the pep?

biff995

Jan 18, 2018
Surrey BC
Category........
FAM
I think your validity to stay in Canada as a visitor which usually not more than Six months, if not extended, expired long before the visiting visa expires in November 7.

1. When did you get into Canada?
2. How many years visitor visa do you have?
3. How many months of validity of stay was stamped on your passport by the officer at the port of entry?

If it’s not what am thinking, there’s virtually no way they would have told you that you had no valid status, as your case implied.

But we should understand that there is a difference between visitor visa expiration date, and the visitor time validity of stay in the country.

Please answer the questions above. And we will understand your case better.
I arrived in Canada May 8 2017, and since I am from Italy I didn't need a visa and the officer at the airport gave me 6 months, so until November 7th.

It might be a stupid question but how is there a difference between visitor visa expiration and validity of stay? If you have a visa doesn't mean you can stay until it expires?

Reactions: Amsadek4u

Amsadek4u

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Doc's Request.
15-07-2017
AOR Received.
13-07-2017
I arrived in Canada May 8 2017, and since I am from Italy I didn't need a visa and the officer at the airport gave me 6 months, so until November 7th.

It might be a stupid question but how is there a difference between visitor visa expiration and validity of stay? If you have a visa doesn't mean you can stay until it expires?
If you have 6 months validity from May 8, there is no way you can be out of status as at the time your application was received.

Except they start calculating their presumed in or out of status from the day your resubmitted OWP was open. Probably after Nov 7.

At this point I really can’t understand why you have to wait for SA before they issue your OWP, on the grounds that you are out of status, when you are within the six month validity.

Yes! People from countries that applied for visa sometimes have visas expiration for 1-5 years depending on the expiration of their travel Passport. But even if they have 5 years visa expiration, their validity to stay cannot be more than 6months, which may be extended.

That’s the difference.

Reactions: biff995

gary.bhanot

Star Member
Jan 24, 2015
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
NOCA2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Hi Everyone,

I shared my wife's timeline couple days ago:

I applied for my wife's residency as an inland application in February 2017, PCC was requested in March, work permit received in April and medical was done in June. After a long silence, Today I got the Sponsor Approval(SA) email and now when i check the ECAS, it says decision made.
Although, the CIC account is still the same saying medicals have been approved, background check in progress, SA in progress etc etc. Not sure whats happening and why two systems are not synced properly. But anyways wanted to share an update with you all.
We finally got another email in her myCIC account asking to confirm time for a phone interview. Has anyone heard of this before?? I have never heard of a phone interview before. This is what the letter says:

biff995

Jan 18, 2018
Surrey BC
Category........
FAM
If you have 6 months validity from May 8, there is no way you can be out of status as at the time your application was received.

Except they start calculating their presumed in or out of status from the day your resubmitted OWP was open. Probably after Nov 7.

At this point I really can’t understand why you have to wait for SA before they issue your OWP, on the grounds that you are out of status, when you are within the six month validity.

Yes! People from countries that applied for visa sometimes have visas expiration for 1-5 years depending on the expiration of their travel Passport. But even if they have 5 years visa expiration, their validity to stay cannot be more than 6months, which may be extended.

That’s the difference.
Oh ok know I understand :)

Well I read on a tread on this forum that someone that was having a problem like mine that they called cic and the agent said they look at the date when it was sent to see if someone was out of status or not. And also I called again today and the agent said she was going to send a note to the agent in Vegreville because she said too that they shouldn't be waiting for sponsor approval and I also sent again a web form and this time I put my passport stamps too. Now that I'm writing I realize I should've asked if they count from the day they receive the application or the day they actually start processing.

Reactions: Amsadek4u

nkoff

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
App. Filed.......
28-04-2017
AOR Received.
30-05-2017
Med's Request
01-02-2018
Med's Done....
03-02-2018
Hi Everyone,

I shared my wife's timeline couple days ago:

I applied for my wife's residency as an inland application in February 2017, PCC was requested in March, work permit received in April and medical was done in June. After a long silence, Today I got the Sponsor Approval(SA) email and now when i check the ECAS, it says decision made.
Although, the CIC account is still the same saying medicals have been approved, background check in progress, SA in progress etc etc. Not sure whats happening and why two systems are not synced properly. But anyways wanted to share an update with you all.
We finally got another email in her myCIC account asking to confirm time for a phone interview. Has anyone heard of this before?? I have never heard of a phone interview before. This is what the letter says:

check the 2016 thread. a few people from there have had it. seems to go just as smoothly as the face to face interview

Reactions: loubegga