+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2016 timeline and updates

JB0405

Star Member
Jun 19, 2012
This is definitely something new.

It also says: “If you have not seen an update in your application status or received correspondence from us in the last 6 months, contact us using the Web form.”

My applicant side status changed to “in process” 3 months ago. Does that mean, they won’t attend to my “Web Form” Query now?
I guess it's worth giving a try. I am planning to do the same.

Lizann

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
I haven't posted in a while and wanted to share some information regarding CIC's recent notification on processing times stating that if your application was submitted prior to December 7,2016 and you have yet to receive a decision your case is probably complex.

This gave me quite a start as our application was submitted Nov 23, 2016 and began processing December 12,2016. The Application for PR side turned to in process in March and we received a request for updated passport (as my husbands own had expired) and RCMP prints as he had been in Canada for more than 6 months on May 23rd. We submitted them the following day - May 24th and have yet to hear anything further as such the reason for the concern on the notification regarding pre-Dec 7, 2016 applications.

To determine why we would fall into a category of "probably complex cases" I submitted a Webform query as we had not ever received anything to indicate an issue with our file and requested information on any issues we were unaware of but I also phoned in and spoke with an agent today who indicated after reviewing our file that all appeared in order from his sides - no red flags (his words) and that there was a recent note placed stating that the delay was related to verification from background agencies.

My husband entered Canada on a visitors visa when he moved here to be with us in Oct 2016 and for us to start the inland process - he had already gone through Biometrics to be granted his Canadian visitors visa so they would have record of that but I'm sure for the purpose of the application they need to re-do it all - we are hoping that there will be no further delays as RCMP advised they had already submitted their results. As soon as we have word I will post an update.

It has been a long process but our family is together, my husband has been working and enjoying his job thanks to his OWP since March 2017 so the finalization of the process will be the icing on the cake for us so we are doing our best to enjoy the "in-between" time as we are aware there are thousands bordering on millions of applications being dealt with by CIC and I do know they are working as my parents who I sponsored under the PGP stream were granted PR status in April and I filed their application in Jan 2016 so patience goes a long way - albeit a hard task at times :)

Best wishes to all.

Last edited:

JB0405

Star Member
Jun 19, 2012
I haven't posted in a while and wanted to share some information regarding CIC's recent notification on processing times stating that if your application was submitted prior to December 7,2016 and you have yet to receive a decision your case is probably complex.

This gave me quite a start as our application was submitted Nov 23, 2016 and began processing December 12,2016. The Application for PR side turned to in process in March and we received a request for updated passport (as my husbands own had expired) and RCMP prints as he had been in Canada for more than 6 months on May 23rd. We submitted them the following day - May 24th and have yet to hear anything further as such the reason for the concern on the notification regarding pre-Dec 7, 2016 applications.

To determine why we would fall into a category of "probably complex cases" I submitted a Webform query as we had not ever received anything to indicate an issue with our file and requested information on any issues we were unaware of but I also phoned in and spoke with an agent today who indicated after reviewing our file that all appeared in order from his sides - no red flags (his words) and that there was a recent note placed stating that the delay was related to verification from background agencies.

My husband entered Canada on a visitors visa when he moved here to be with us in Oct 2016 and for us to start the inland process - he had already gone through Biometrics to be granted his Canadian visitors visa so they would have record of that but I'm sure for the purpose of the application they need to re-do it all - we are hoping that there will be no further delays as RCMP advised they had already submitted their results. As soon as we have word I will post an update.

It has been a long process but our family is together, my husband has been working and enjoying his job thanks to his OWP since March 2017 so the finalization of the process will be the icing on the cake for us so we are doing our best to enjoy the "in-between" time as we are aware there are thousands bordering on millions of applications being dealt with by CIC and I do know they are working as my parents who I sponsored under the PGP stream were granted PR status in April and I filed their application in Jan 2016 so patience goes a long way - albeit a hard task at times :)

Best wishes to all.

Thank you so much for the update. Keep us posted!

Reactions: Snigs

janecki

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Anyone with experience of importation of personal belongings after landing interview?
My wife still has a lot of stuff in the US and wanted to bring it to Canada - i called CBSS and they told me that a goods to follow form should have been filed during landing interview

Lizann

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
Anyone with experience of importation of personal belongings after landing interview?
My wife still has a lot of stuff in the US and wanted to bring it to Canada - i called CBSS and they told me that a goods to follow form should have been filed during landing interview
It appears it's the same process as landing at the airport..you need to have presented your list of goods to follow at the time of landing so you could bring them in duty free. Not sure if there is recourse for the oversight. Even though you asked CBSS already I suggest you phone them again and see if they can guide you on an alternative. Sadly though I think there is nothing to be done..but it's worth a try.

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Inland Sponsorship - Dec 2, 2016
Med's Request
November 2017
Is there still anyone left from October 2016 and prior who is still waiting for landing?

I am guessing it is mostly Nov - Dec 6th 2016 who are left?

DJ_Brazil

Sep 19, 2016
Is there still anyone left from October 2016 and prior who is still waiting for landing?

I am guessing it is mostly Nov - Dec 6th 2016 who are left?
I’m October 2016, got AIP in Jan/18 and still waiting for DM. Call center always says that my background check is in process but I feel it’s endless.
Hopefully all 2016 will land soon. This process is taking too long ☹

Lizann

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
I’m October 2016, got AIP in Jan/18 and still waiting for DM. Call center always says that my background check is in process but I feel it’s endless.
Hopefully all 2016 will land soon. This process is taking too long ☹[/QUOT

We are Nov 2016 applicants with a Dec 12th processing start date.... CIC says its delays in hearing back from background agencies - my husband and I were talking last night and I believe they are really checking to make sure there is nothing anywhere with him as when I first moved to Canada with our son - my husband (then common-law) and I broke up and he decided to not come as we really were not getting on so we wrote and notified them of his withdrawal from my FSW application process back in 2009 and he gave. consent for our son to move with me in 2010......seven years later we genuinely fell back in love - we always saw each other on trips back home because of our son and got married.

I believe they want to make absolutely sure (understandably so) that we didn't break up because there was anything in his background that might have jeopardized my permanent residency at the time as sadly just as there are case of marriage of convenience there are cases of dissolution of convenience so that one party can get through to later apply for the other - happy to say we genuinely broke up as we were not getting on. Hopefully soon we will have good word.

Do any of you falling in the Oct-Dec 6th period have anything that you think they may want to drill down in to make sure of why you think our background checks are taking longer ? Curious to know to see if there may be similarities or none:)[/QUOTE]

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
November 2017
I found this in an old forum thread (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/security-background-check-long-wait-after-medical-cec.102642/). Although the background check process might have changed over years, the structure should be more or less same.
—————|>
I copy this information from another Fourm .The information provided by QORAX one of the VIP members :

Background & Security Checks

Note: Our Background Check comprises of 2 parts:
1. The Standard Documentation Checks,
2. The Security & Criminality Checks.

Standard Documentation Checks:
Our background check is done at the CHC stage. It commences the moment our file gets the 1st BFD by the VO. An indicator of which is the e-CAS that shows "In Progress". All docs been checked & our NOC being tallied against the MI, if the VO finds our case 'eligible' for Canadian PR, the file becomes 'Accepted'; and then it goes for standard background checks, viz. Exp, Quals, Adaptability, Qualitative Considerations etc.

The process involves many things. If our case file is well presented and the enclosures vouch the quality-quantity, adequate POF docs etc., there might not be a requirement of 'actually' calling the employers, references etc. The VOs have a way with that, they are experienced enough to ascertain the logical disposition of our case. But, if there are any concerns of his/her, s/he is likely to ask for additional docs, do further scrutiny vide any means [calling, visiting etc.] & might ask for an Interview.

-Culmination: When 'fully' satisfied, we get the 'Medical Request'.
-Timeframe: Can be anything around 3-8* months, for the 'fast track' system (Avg. 4-5 months).
-eCAS: Continues to Show 'In Process'.
*The older system has a queue, thus can be longer.

Security & Criminality Checks:
A part of the b/ground checks is the 'Security Check'. It commences after our med results are submitted to the CHC. This is a major activity -mainly concerning our 'safe inclusion' into the Canadian Soil; vis-a-vis, Political, Socio-Econmical, Anti-Social disposition, perceived Threat to Canada's integrity etc. This gets us the SDEC, CDEC & SECCRIM.

This is a serious & time-consuming stage, involving many agencies, including CSIS, Interpol, NASC, Database Checking & touch-base with Local Police. Many things are considered here... the No. of countries visited, Applicant coming from 'certain' countries, ex-Servicemen [including Law Enforcement services], Prolonged stay in a country w/out sufficient docs to prove cause, frequent traveling to certain nations, your *Name (?), Inter-Religion/Nationality Marriages etc.

If everything is simple & straight, the file soon gets into the 'final review' stage. If there are any 'red flags', our case goes into a 'spin'. Then our file might go to the local Police/CID agencies; the outcome/timeframe of which is beyond the control of CIC. And thereby the timeframe can be anything [sometimes beyond 1yr]. But, usually this stage should be over by 5 months max. However, a point to be noted is that we can also be called for an Interview [at this stage], due to this reason.

-Culmination: Only upon security clearance we receive the PPR.
-Timeframe: Around 2-6 months. Avg. 3 months. [With new system, sometimes PPR is clubbed with Meds]
-eCAS: Still 'In Process', but 'Med Results Recd.' inside.

*Yes, that's how a certain Mr. Sharukh Khan was detained for 4.5 hrs in an US port. He was a VIP, thus 4.5 hrs. For u & me -things could be different.
The Process in a Nutshell:

Stage-1: [CIO stage] Send Initial Apps+Processing Fees to CIO-NS > Qualitative Check > Issue of AOR+120 days Letter >

Stage-2: [CHC stage onwards] Send Full Docs+RPRF to the Local Visa Office > File on Queue > e-Cas: "Received by Visa Office" > Eligibility Check+PSDEC > Issue of 2nd AOR > Background Check > Issue of Additional docs Request [if any] > 1st BF'D > e-Cas: "In Process" > Send Addnl. Docs > Issue of Med Request > 2nd BF'D >

Stage-3: Meds Sent > e-Cas: "Medical Results Recd." > Issue of PPR* > Send Passport/s > Security Check > Visa/s Stamped > e-Cas: "Decision Made" >
*The Meds & PPR are sometimes 'clubbed' together.

Stage-4: Return of 'Stamped' Passport/s+COPR > Landing at the POE > e-Cas: "Completed".

brizzha

Feb 6, 2018
In case it helps anyone else, I recently contacted my MP regarding our delay of 19.5 months (which technically still falls under the estimated processing time of 26 months...) and this was the response received from his office:

"The agent on the phone informed us that the background and criminality checks are still in progress. However, this depends on a third party, so the agent couldn't indicate an approximate wait time."​
Hello, I am in your same situation! I applied December 2nd.
Have they called you for an interview? They haven't called me and I am wondering when will they call me!

Hopefully things speed up for us. I have been waiting 20 months.

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
November 2017
Have they called you for an interview? They haven't called me and I am wondering when will they call me!

What does your e-cas say? I applied on Dec 2nd as well, my "Permanent Residence Application Status" turned "In Process" on April 25th, 2018.
Now both sides are "In Process".

I had called CIC call centre last week, the person said that there should be an update on or before end of September 2018. If not then to call them back and they will put a note on my case file to inquire further.

Tipsywit63

Mar 27, 2018
Montréal
App. Filed.......
05-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-01-2017
Med's Request
14-11-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017

I haven't yet received AIP, DM, or the landing interview. However, our lawyer did a follow-up with IRCC last week and the agent said they are still processing our background check but should have a response by October 2018.

Not sure if "response" means simply background check results or a completed application--but I'm at least happy to have this deadline to hold them to. I feel like the 12 month "promise" for those applying after Dec 7, 2016 and the influx of refugees since then have really overloaded the background check processing more than I was expecting. To be honest if they can finish our files by the end of the year I will just be happy to be done waiting!

Snigs

May 20, 2016
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share this with you all. I have been following this thread for a long time, even though I have not been posting. This forum has been a great source of information and and encouragement for me. Thank you and good luck to everyone.

This is part of a letter I received today:

Dear Client,

We are pleased to inform you that the processing of your application for permanent residence will be finalized at an
interview that is scheduled for 8:00 AM on August 16, 2018. Your interview will be conducted at:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada –Toronto (Etobicoke)
(Citizenship and Immigration Canada on official signs
5353 Dundas Street West, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6K5
Suite 100, Ground Floor; also accessible via 5343 Dundas Street West.

This is what is still showing online when i check my application status, they have not updated it:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
On-Line Services
FAQ | Security
Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on December 5, 2016.
  2. We started processing your application on June 25, 2018.
  3. Medical results have been received.
  4. We sent you correspondence on June 25, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

.I submitted medical and police record upfront.

Reactions: XKAYIY