+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security / Background Check - Long Wait After Medical - CEC

civil

Mar 21, 2012
Hi everyone

I would like to share my experience with the people whose their file got stuck in background check . I know that there are not many delayed cases in CEC but if you have the same experience or if you have a comment kindly join me here .

My timeline :
Application Filed : Oct-2010
AOR : Feb 2011
RPRF paid : July - 2011
Medical Requested : July-2011
Medical sent : Aug-2011

Since then no news from CIC .
They responded to my email afew weeks ago that they are waiting for background information .

Please join me here if you are in the same situation or if you have a suggestion .

Thanks

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Long Background Check - CEC

Hi

I do not have the same issue but am surprised to read that it can take so much time for the background checks to take place. Could you please elaborate on why this happened? Are you in Canada (when you applied) or are you applying while residing in a different country?

I can imagine how frustrating this can be? i have not yet applied, just collecting my paperwork.

Hopefully eveything will turn out okay?

Good Luck.

Islington

Jan 18, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

what kind of background check....

civil

Mar 21, 2012

Hopefulagain said:
Hi

I do not have the same issue but am surprised to read that it can take so much time for the background checks to take place. Could you please elaborate on why this happened? Are you in Canada (when you applied) or are you applying while residing in a different country?

I can imagine how frustrating this can be? i have not yet applied, just collecting my paperwork.

Hopefully eveything will turn out okay?

Good Luck.
Hi

I applied 19 months ago back on october 2010 . I am still in Canada on work permit . basically CIC conduct background / security check on all applicants .

" This is a serious & time-consuming stage, involving many agencies, including CSIS, Interpol, NASC, Database Checking & touch-base with Local Police. Many things are considered here... the No. of countries visited, Applicant coming from 'certain' countries, ex-Servicemen [including Law Enforcement services], Prolonged stay in a country w/out sufficient docs to prove cause, frequent traveling to certain nations, your *Name (?), Inter-Religion/Nationality Marriages etc."

it is the last stage of processing the applications and it usually starts after medical approval . it usually 3 - 5 months long process for most cases , but for some it might be longer . for mine its already 9 months and I have no idea how long more I may have to wait .

well at this stage there is nothing I can do but wait and hoping for the best . thanks for your comment and good luck to you too .

civil

Mar 21, 2012

Islington said:
what kind of background check....
Hi Islington

I mean Security/background check which comes after medical and before passport request .

civil

Mar 21, 2012

I copy this information from another Fourm .The information provided by QORAX one of the VIP members :

Background & Security Checks

Note: Our Background Check comprises of 2 parts:
1. The Standard Documentation Checks,
2. The Security & Criminality Checks.

Standard Documentation Checks:
Our background check is done at the CHC stage. It commences the moment our file gets the 1st BFD by the VO. An indicator of which is the e-CAS that shows "In Progress". All docs been checked & our NOC being tallied against the MI, if the VO finds our case 'eligible' for Canadian PR, the file becomes 'Accepted'; and then it goes for standard background checks, viz. Exp, Quals, Adaptability, Qualitative Considerations etc.

The process involves many things. If our case file is well presented and the enclosures vouch the quality-quantity, adequate POF docs etc., there might not be a requirement of 'actually' calling the employers, references etc. The VOs have a way with that, they are experienced enough to ascertain the logical disposition of our case. But, if there are any concerns of his/her, s/he is likely to ask for additional docs, do further scrutiny vide any means [calling, visiting etc.] & might ask for an Interview.

-Culmination: When 'fully' satisfied, we get the 'Medical Request'.
-Timeframe: Can be anything around 3-8* months, for the 'fast track' system (Avg. 4-5 months).
-eCAS: Continues to Show 'In Process'.
*The older system has a queue, thus can be longer.

Security & Criminality Checks:
A part of the b/ground checks is the 'Security Check'. It commences after our med results are submitted to the CHC. This is a major activity -mainly concerning our 'safe inclusion' into the Canadian Soil; vis-a-vis, Political, Socio-Econmical, Anti-Social disposition, perceived Threat to Canada's integrity etc. This gets us the SDEC, CDEC & SECCRIM.

This is a serious & time-consuming stage, involving many agencies, including CSIS, Interpol, NASC, Database Checking & touch-base with Local Police. Many things are considered here... the No. of countries visited, Applicant coming from 'certain' countries, ex-Servicemen [including Law Enforcement services], Prolonged stay in a country w/out sufficient docs to prove cause, frequent traveling to certain nations, your *Name (?), Inter-Religion/Nationality Marriages etc.

If everything is simple & straight, the file soon gets into the 'final review' stage. If there are any 'red flags', our case goes into a 'spin'. Then our file might go to the local Police/CID agencies; the outcome/timeframe of which is beyond the control of CIC. And thereby the timeframe can be anything [sometimes beyond 1yr]. But, usually this stage should be over by 5 months max. However, a point to be noted is that we can also be called for an Interview [at this stage], due to this reason.

-Culmination: Only upon security clearance we receive the PPR.
-Timeframe: Around 2-6 months. Avg. 3 months. [With new system, sometimes PPR is clubbed with Meds]
-eCAS: Still 'In Process', but 'Med Results Recd.' inside.

*Yes, that's how a certain Mr. Sharukh Khan was detained for 4.5 hrs in an US port. He was a VIP, thus 4.5 hrs. For u & me -things could be different.
The Process in a Nutshell:

Stage-1: [CIO stage] Send Initial Apps+Processing Fees to CIO-NS > Qualitative Check > Issue of AOR+120 days Letter >

Stage-2: [CHC stage onwards] Send Full Docs+RPRF to the Local Visa Office > File on Queue > e-Cas: "Received by Visa Office" > Eligibility Check+PSDEC > Issue of 2nd AOR > Background Check > Issue of Additional docs Request [if any] > 1st BF'D > e-Cas: "In Process" > Send Addnl. Docs > Issue of Med Request > 2nd BF'D >

Stage-3: Meds Sent > e-Cas: "Medical Results Recd." > Issue of PPR* > Send Passport/s > Security Check > Visa/s Stamped > e-Cas: "Decision Made" >
*The Meds & PPR are sometimes 'clubbed' together.

Stage-4: Return of 'Stamped' Passport/s+COPR > Landing at the POE > e-Cas: "Completed".

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't think it necessarily follows that route nowadays. From my caips notes, security and criminal checks were done first before medical request.

Reactions: T4YO and dreamy2536

civil

Mar 21, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
I don't think it necessarily follows that route nowadays. From my caips notes, security and criminal checks were done first before medical request.
Hi SenoritaBella

Thanks for comment .
My case stuck in buffalo since last July , right after my medical . the only reply I am getting from Buffalo is that they are waiting for backgound information. That is why I believe Background / Security check comes after medical results . But maybe cases are different . who knows ? Its almost 19 months since I filed my application and I dont know how long more It may takes ?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Wow... that's a long time. Unfortunately, the background check is something no one has control over. Hopefully you get an answer soon. Take heart and remain positive. :)

civil

Mar 21, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
Wow... that's a long time. Unfortunately, the background check is something no one has control over. Hopefully you get an answer soon. Take heart and remain positive. :)
Thanks SenoritaBella
I am trying to think positive :) this is the only thing I can do .wish me luck .

getgirishin

Aug 1, 2012
@CIVIL
could you please confirm whether you have received any confirmation after the Background Check.
I have done medical in March 2012. Hv got a response from London Visa Office to my query yesterday that they are currently doing Background Check.

civil

Mar 21, 2012
getgirishin said:
@ CIVIL
could you please confirm whether you have received any confirmation after the Background Check.
I have done medical in March 2012. Hv got a response from London Visa Office to my query yesterday that they are currently doing Background Check.
@getgirishin

My visa office is Buffalo and I have not heard back from them . I have seen many cases with London Visa Office which background check took about 10 months . Hope you receive good news soon .

MontCan

Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Have you heard anything about the processing time at Ottawa pilot office ? is the 10 month processing is actually 10 months?

thanks,
dian

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
SenoritaBella said:
I agree, I got my notes too (not the caips the new ones GMCS or something) and they mention Criminality in process and medical not started. But you know what, it could be different depending on the case.