+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit extension/transition time

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not uncommon for a spouse on SOWP to have to stop working while the other spouse obtains pgwp plus a job in noc 0, a and b plus 3 pay slips.

Rajveer Gill

Dec 4, 2018
Hii everyone,
I have some questions about sowp extension. Actually I am on valid study permit which is expiring on Sep 30,2019 and my husband has owp which is expiring on May 3, 2019 but he has visa(passport stamp until Sep 30). Also, I am going to finish my study in April 2019. But I will get PGWP in May. So, how can I apply for the extension of my husband's owp. Can I apply for extension of his owp based on my valid study permit before the expiry of his owp becz during his owp expiring I would have valid study permit of 5 months until Sep 30. I don't know why they issued him owp less than my study permit. Please give me your suggestions regarding this. Thank you in advance.

Mohit Ranass

Jan 22, 2019
HI I M JUST GRADUATED FROM THE POST SECONDARY COLLEGE IN TORONTO, MY WIFE IS ALSO WITH ME ON SPOUSE OPEN WORK, I HAVE A DOUBT, WE BOTH APPLIED D SAME FILE LIKE, ME FOR PGWP AND SHE FOR VISITOR, IS THAT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO SO??

mol123

Jan 22, 2019
hello,

i just have a confusion. I know you can apply together with my student extension and my spouse open work permit, but can someone teach me how? can i do that online or should i apply it through paper?

Please advise, visa expiry:
Husband-open work permit- March 31, 2019
Mine-student permit- March 31, 2019

Please help.

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
She can apply separately with a letter of explanation and all docs.
Hello,
I have a question regarding extension of SOWP.

We have selected 'Apply for WP for same employer' in SOWP extension form.
Will it cause any issue?

Below is my background.

1. Applied for my husband's SOWP (first time) in Oct-2018, It was approved in Nov-2018 and valid till 31-Jul-2019. He came to Canada in Feb-2019 and started working from Mar-2019.
2. I received my PGWP in Jun-2019 and valid till Apr-2020
3. Applied for my husband's SOWP (extension) on 29-Jun as I received my 3rd paystub on 28-Jun.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I have a question regarding extension of SOWP.

We have selected 'Apply for WP for same employer' in SOWP extension form.
Will it cause any issue?

Below is my background.

1. Applied for my husband's SOWP (first time) in Oct-2018, It was approved in Nov-2018 and valid till 31-Jul-2019. He came to Canada in Feb-2019 and started working from Mar-2019.
2. I received my PGWP in Jun-2019 and valid till Apr-2020
3. Applied for my husband's SOWP (extension) on 29-Jun as I received my 3rd paystub on 28-Jun.
It's fine.

harman27

Jul 26, 2017
Hey I applied my sowp extension on 4th may and attached everything and my noc B level job offer letter but,I forgot to put my 3 pay check is there any effect on my application?

And any updates?

I am loosing my patience day by day

Reactions: nobita107

nobita107

Dec 3, 2014
Hey I applied my sowp extension on 4th may and attached everything and my noc B level job offer letter but,I forgot to put my 3 pay check is there any effect on my application?

And any updates?

Hi, we are basically in the same situation. My plan is to apply for my wife's OWP extension when I apply for PGWP. I have a job offer, but I won't be able to collect 3 pay slips. Please let me know if they allow you to later submit pay slips as additional documents. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

And any updates?

Yes you need the 3 pay stubs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, we are basically in the same situation. My plan is to apply for my wife's OWP extension when I apply for PGWP. I have a job offer, but I won't be able to collect 3 pay slips. Please let me know if they allow you to later submit pay slips as additional documents. Thanks.
It isn’t really an extension it is a new SOWP. Yes you need to ha e the 3 pay stubs to qualify. If you have not worked long enough to receive the 3 pay stubs you won’t qualify. Some spouses have to stop working until their spouse has a job and the 3 pay stubs. You can flagpole at the border once you have the 3 pay stubs.

Reactions: nobita107

nobita107

Dec 3, 2014
It isn’t really an extension it is a new SOWP. Yes you need to ha e the 3 pay stubs to qualify. If you have not worked long enough to receive the 3 pay stubs you won’t qualify. Some spouses have to stop working until their spouse has a job and the 3 pay stubs. You can flagpole at the border once you have the 3 pay stubs.
Thanks, I'll apply to change her status to visitor and apply a new SOWP once we are eligible. Too much troublesome, but OK, that's the rule.

gagan24

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
can we flagpole for getting work permit from border while we have already applied for pgwp online?

gagan24

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
my and my husband's work permit has expired on the same date, 30 july. On 28 june , I have applied mine pgwp and my spouse's owp together along with conditional job letter from my job( noc B job, stating that this job letter is conditional upon recieving the implied status mail from ircc or work permit ).I have started my job on 29 th june and I have uploaded 3 pay stubs after file submission .

I am really worried now as most of the people apply individually..
can anyone plz tell me that is it fine if i have applied like this/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
my and my husband's work permit has expired on the same date, 30 july. On 28 june , I have applied mine pgwp and my spouse's owp together along with conditional job letter from my job( noc B job, stating that this job letter is conditional upon recieving the implied status mail from ircc or work permit ).I have started my job on 29 th june and I have uploaded 3 pay stubs after file submission .

I am really worried now as most of the people apply individually..
can anyone plz tell me that is it fine if i have applied like this/
Your spouse doesn’t qualify for SOWP until you are working and can include 3 pay stubs.