+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
Hi Gaurav,

I am seeking advice for the process of SOWP - change of status application at the airport. My husband currently holds SOWP valid until Jul 31(based on my study permit). Now my status has been changed to worker (based on PGWP). He is travelling to Canada for the first time on May 23(based on the current status) and doesn’t have his work permit yet to make a new application, so can you please help me with the following questions:

1. The current work permit processing times have changed to 98 days, will he still be eligible to enter Canada?

2. Will he be able to apply for a change of status to his current open work permit( based on my PGWP) at the airport? I have all the supporting documents, do we also need to fill in any application form for example imm5710e (paper form).

3. Have you come across any similar experience and could you please share the process open work permit/other application at the airport?

4. Can we flagpole to renew his OWP?

Thanks for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Gaurav,

I'm going to new Brunswick for masters degree.

Can you tell me if it's possible to apply for visa of my wife and child while I'm in india after I have received my student visa?

We're hoping to travel together which is why we want to know our options.

Regards
Since you've already applied you'll have to wait until you get your study permit. I can sometimes take 45-5 months to get SOWP and TRV fo your child so I don't know if you'll be able to travel together. She will also need to be approved. The biggest issue will be whether you have the funds to support your family if she is not working.

Azmi

May 18, 2019
Hi
I have applied for SOWP on 12/31/2018.
My wife has given her biometric on 3/01/2019.we applied through online abudhabi.my wife and children’s lives in Dubai. Since now we don’t have any updates.processing time has mentioned in online 21 weeks.now almost 20 weeks.
Please advise me what should I do?
Thank you

Azmi

May 18, 2019
Hi, the processing times are different for applications outside canada, 10-12 weeks from the date of application is normal. However if your file is taking more than the normal processing times, let me know. Also keep us posted with your progress.
Hi
I have applied for swop on31/12.
Biometric done.we applied through online from abudhabi embassy.
Still no any updates and it’s being 20 weeks...anyone knows why it has taken so long to reply...we should get reply by the time so far..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I have applied for SOWP on 12/31/2018.
My wife has given her biometric on 3/01/2019.we applied through online abudhabi.my wife and children’s lives in Dubai. Since now we don’t have any updates.processing time has mentioned in online 21 weeks.now almost 20 weeks.
Please advise me what should I do?
Thank you
20 weeks is just an estimate.

Gayatriwilb

Sep 10, 2017
Hello

I applied for sowp on Feb 15th and I have got a decision on my visa that it is rejected with the reason as the following:

After considering all the circumstances of your case, it has been determined that you are not
a person whose employment will create or maintain significant employment, benefits or
opportunities for Canadians citizens or permanent residents.
Eligibility for a work permit in this category only applies to the spouse or common-law partner of
a skilled worker. You have not established that you are the spouse or that you meet the
definition of common-law partner, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection
Regulations.

I am in Canada on visitors visa and my husband is on a closed work permit. I have provided all that they have mentioned as mandatory in my application but I have not provided any optional documents. I have 9yrs of IT experience in India.

Can you please help me with how to proceed further?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

I applied for sowp on Feb 15th and I have got a decision on my visa that it is rejected with the reason as the following:

After considering all the circumstances of your case, it has been determined that you are not
a person whose employment will create or maintain significant employment, benefits or
opportunities for Canadians citizens or permanent residents.
Eligibility for a work permit in this category only applies to the spouse or common-law partner of
a skilled worker. You have not established that you are the spouse or that you meet the
definition of common-law partner, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection
Regulations.

I am in Canada on visitors visa and my husband is on a closed work permit. I have provided all that they have mentioned as mandatory in my application but I have not provided any optional documents. I have 9yrs of IT experience in India.

Can you please help me with how to proceed further?

Thanks!
You need to apply for the GCMS notes

amit84

Star Member
Jun 12, 2010
inida
Open work permit is the best option
Hello, I have already applied for my SOWP through Lawyer, already got a request letter for medical and it's done and uploaded but haven't received anything abt the biometrics, yet they requested for the payment for the same, which I did it.

check3349

Oct 7, 2017
My Wife applied for SOWP for first time November 2018 but refused due to insufficient evidence to the relationship. The main reason was we just provide affidavit of marriage not the registry certificate. Then they asked for marriage photos but our marriage was simple so we did not able to provide marriage photos. It was because of my brother knee operation and my short stay on that time. We explained it to VO with documents.

Later I went to my home country again and do a renewal wedding vow ceremony and reception program. Also we did the marriage registry. On April she applied again with registry certificate, program photos, FB chat from September 2017, Whats app chat, Whats app call history, Hotel voucher, Bus ticket. But still refused for the same reason. In registry, marriage date was same as affidavit one.

I have no clue how can I solve this issue now. Please help me to overcome this problem.

Azmi

May 18, 2019
My Wife applied for SOWP for first time November 2018 but refused due to insufficient evidence to the relationship. The main reason was we just provide affidavit of marriage not the registry certificate. Then they asked for marriage photos but our marriage was simple so we did not able to provide marriage photos. It was because of my brother knee operation and my short stay on that time. We explained it to VO with documents.

Later I went to my home country again and do a renewal wedding vow ceremony and reception program. Also we did the marriage registry. On April she applied again with registry certificate, program photos, FB chat from September 2017, Whats app chat, Whats app call history, Hotel voucher, Bus ticket. But still refused for the same reason. In registry, marriage date was same as affidavit one.

I have no clue how can I solve this issue now. Please help me to overcome this problem.
Hi
Where dd u applied from?
Mine got rejected and reason they have mentioned they are not satisfied that I will exit the country after my expiration of stay in Canada...

check3349

Oct 7, 2017
Hi
Where dd u applied from?
Mine got rejected and reason they have mentioned they are not satisfied that I will exit the country after my expiration of stay in Canada...
My wife applied from Bangladesh. Singapore visa office handled that file. In her rejection letter country ties also mentioned.