+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

d_chahal

May 7, 2016
Hi Gaurav

I would like to know the information regarding SOPW. Currently my husband is in India. But i have a kid too and would like to bring her also here. So in the process of applying SOPW the documents mentioned for the package are below:
  1. Document Checklist [IMM 5488] February 2016
  2. Visa office instructions – Work permit [IMM 5905] September 2015
  3. Application for Work Permit made outside Canada
  4. Family Information [IMM 5645] September 2010
  5. Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] April 2015
  6. Visa application photograph specifications
  7. Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] September 2015
Is there any other document i am missing?
So for the kid what documents/visa forms i have to submitted.?

1. Do i have to submit his application under VISITORS Visa or student Visa?
2. If applied under VISITORS visa does he(kid) gets visa for 6 months only or will they give till the time of expiry date of my wifes study permit?
3. Do i need to apply or my husband can apply directly in embassy in India?

Any other information which i need to consider or aware, Please let me know. Thanks

Regards,

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

Hi Gaurav

I would like to know the information regarding SOPW. Currently my husband is in India. But i have a kid too and would like to bring her also here. So in the process of applying SOPW the documents mentioned for the package are below:
Is there any other document i am missing? - your t4, your job offer letter or job reference letter which clearly states your JOB Designation signed and stamped by your employer, roles and responsibilities and if possible your job NOC Code(must be O,A or B), last three months pay-stubs for you.

1. Do i have to submit his application under VISITORS Visa or student Visa? Apply for a student visa directly, when you will be applying for SOWP i believe there will be an option to add the child.
2. If applied under VISITORS visa does he(kid) gets visa for 6 months only or will they give till the time of expiry date of my wifes study permit? Till the time the study permit is valid, once she get PGWP you will need to re-submit the applications for extensions too.
3. Do i need to apply or my husband can apply directly in embassy in India? Application must be submitted from the country of residence of the applicant. in your case, india.

Any other information which i need to consider or aware, Please let me know. Thanks

Hi Gaurav

Is there any other document i am missing?

1. Do i have to submit his application under VISITORS Visa or student Visa?
2. If applied under VISITORS visa does he(kid) gets visa for 6 months only or will they give till the time of expiry date of my wifes study permit?
3. Do i need to apply or my husband can apply directly in embassy in India?

Regards,

RonaBella

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hi Gaurav,

Both me and my common law partner are here in the Philippines. He applied through paper application through VFS as skilled worker on February 6, 2018. He got his medical referral, February 9, 2018, did his medical on February 14, 2018 and finally got his approval last February 22, 2018. Because we were advised that I can also apply for SOWP at the same time of his application, we submitted our papers together. But as of now, February 26, 2018, I have not received any medical referral yet. Should I worry? What are the chances of refusal, if ever?

Best regards,

Rona

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi Gaurav,

Both me and my common law partner are here in the Philippines. He applied through paper application through VFS as skilled worker on February 6, 2018. He got his medical referral, February 9, 2018, did his medical on February 14, 2018 and finally got his approval last February 22, 2018. Because we were advised that I can also apply for SOWP at the same time of his application, we submitted our papers together. But as of now, February 26, 2018, I have not received any medical referral yet. Should I worry? What are the chances of refusal, if ever?

Best regards,

Rona
Hi, at the moment, the normal processi g time for a worm permit applied from phillipines is 10 weeks, moreover paper based might take a couple of more days, no need to worry at the moment

astacom

Star Member
Feb 3, 2018
Cant be sure about the processing times mate. And yes, applying for your wife when she will be in canada will also cut down the processing time for her application, for your child also, apply when you reach here. you can apply now also, but just in case there is a delay with your wife's or child's application, you ll have to come here alone or withdraw the applications. so its better to file their applications when they reach here.
ok great thanks mate :)

Craigy

Feb 13, 2018
Hi. Hope that your offer of assistance/advice is still valid.

My wife was recently approved to start a 2-yr program of study commencing May 2018. We are still torn concerning whether I should quit my job and follow her, since it seems risky. However, we are realizing that it may not be as risky as we think and that we may simply just not have all the answers.

Questions:
  1. Can I visit Canada after my wife has started her study and use the flag-pole method to obtain a SOWP or do I need to apply for this?
  2. Would I also need to have secured the job offer before coming to Canada?
  3. If I am able to secure the SOWP, what happens to us once she has completed her program of study - she intends to apply for the PGWP?
  4. We have a minor aged child. The thought is that we will both visit my wife and then pursue the SOWP for myself. Clearly we would want to enroll our child in school for the duration. How will this be possible?
Thanks for the offer of assistance.
-------
Hey, Gaurav.

Would love to get your input on these questions; as soon as u can.

Nani Ala

Oct 20, 2017
yes you can mate.
Thanks Gaurav.
As few ppl told me that my spouse should get job in O,A and B and need to show 3 pay slips only then, i can get extension of OWP it seems.
So im bit confused and afraid as currently im having full time job.Can u please clarify? do u know any person applied with similar situation like wife studying and husband on OWP and later he gets extension along with his wife PGWP.

Much Appreciated if you could help in answering this.

Yodh kaur

Jan 25, 2018
Hi there
I applied SOWP for my husband, who is in India right now on 27th January. CIC started review of eligibilty on 16th Feb and on 27th Feb status has changed. CIC, said, they do not need additional documents. Do anybody know how much time does CIC take for medical request?

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
Hello ,

This is Snehal Mahajan-Khindare. My husband holds a work permit(LMIA approved) for two years.His job is under NOC. I want to join him there in canada as his dependent spouse and want to work too. I am currently in India. I dont have children.

Is there any need to fill up the form of temporary resident visa IMM 5257 with the work permit form IMM1295..?

Please suggest me an additional information about the actual process and the documents required from my side and husband's side.

Is it mandatory for my husband to gain a year of experience of canada to sponsor me..?

I am giving some details of the documents and forms that I have discovered and I have started to gather.Please suggest me whether to attach them or not.

1. Main application IMM 1295(Open work permit)
2.Family information form
3. My passport scan copy
4.Husband's visa grant letter ,Work permit letter and scanned copy of work permit stamp on passport.
5. Strong cover letter explaining the need to live together.
6.Marriage certificate
7.Marriage invitation card
8.20 photographs for proving the genuine relationship.
9.Husband's offer letter and appoinment letter
10. Cover letter from husband for sponsoring me.
11.Payment proofs.
12.Husband's current residing place proof.
13. Bank statements.(Mine)
14.Educational certificates and marksheets(Mine)
15.Resume and Experience letters(Mine)
16.A cover letter assuring to leave canada at the end of my stay.

thanking u,
snehal.

ene04

Mar 1, 2018
Hi! I have an open work permit acquired as a dependent of a temporary worker here in canada. my husband's employer submitted an application of extension of our work permit. now, i also want to study. can i apply for study permit while our work permit extension application is ongoing?

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
Hi! I have an open work permit acquired as a dependent of a temporary worker here in canada. my husband's employer submitted an application of extension of our work permit. now, i also want to study. can i apply for study permit while our work permit extension application is ongoing?

Hii.. Will u plz help me about the documents and the forms u filled for the open work permit..? It would be a great help.. I am also finding out the proper guidance