+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

ene04

Mar 1, 2018
Hii.. Will u plz help me about the documents and the forms u filled for the open work permit..? It would be a great help.. I am also finding out the proper guidance
Hi. I filled out the Application for work permit made outside of canada (IMM1295) and Family Information (IMM5705E). i think the one you posted above is already good. we did not submit the marriage photos and invitation card.

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
Hi. I filled out the Application for work permit made outside of canada (IMM1295) and Family Information (IMM5705E). i think the one you posted above is already good. we did not submit the marriage photos and invitation card.

Thank you so much dear.. I was going to hire a visa consultant.. So do u think that i should hire them for documentation and forms.. do u suggest me to hire them or should i submit these documents directly via VFS center wothout hiring them..? cause why waste money if we can submit it on our own..? They are going to charge me 25000 only for processing and other application charges extra....

ene04

Mar 1, 2018
Thank you so much dear.. I was going to hire a visa consultant.. So do u think that i should hire them for documentation and forms.. do u suggest me to hire them or should i submit these documents directly via VFS center wothout hiring them..? cause why waste money if we can submit it on our own..? They are going to charge me 25000 only for processing and other application charges extra....
As for our case, it was the company's lawyer who made and submitted our application but if you think that your supporting documents are strong enough then you can file on your own.

I think you should also provide a copy of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC - you can get this from your husband's employer
Police clearance and medical certificate - we did not submit this both because we applied in mexico and it is not a requirement but required for other countries. you can check it on IRCC website

you can also submit your husband's bank statement and proof of income since he will be sponsoring you. also his passport together with the (as you said) scanned copy of work permit stamp on his passport

Last edited:

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
As for our case, it was the company's lawyer who made and submitted our application but if you think that your supporting documents are strong enough then you can file on your own.

I think you should also provide a copy of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC - you can get this from your husband's employer
Police clearance and medical certificate - we did not submit this both because we applied in mexico and it is not a requirement but required for other countries. you can check it on IRCC website

Actually I forgot to mention LMIA in the above list.. I am surely gonna submit it.. And as u said, I should provide medical certificate, but the request for medical certificate is came from embassy after submitting the application as per my knowledge.. At the time of husband's work permit we had a request from embassy and they mailed us a medical form. If I should submit the medical certificate, which form I have fill up for medical..? What is the process..?

ene04

Mar 1, 2018
Actually I forgot to mention LMIA in the above list.. I am surely gonna submit it.. And as u said, I should provide medical certificate, but the request for medical certificate is came from embassy after submitting the application as per my knowledge.. At the time of husband's work permit we had a request from embassy and they mailed us a medical form. If I should submit the medical certificate, which form I have fill up for medical..? What is the process..?
oh i see.my answers are just based on my experience but since that we did not undergone the medical exam i cannot help you in that case :(

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
oh i see.my answers are just based on my experience but since that we did not undergone the medical exam i cannot help you in that case :(

Its okay dear.. But thank u for your reply.. I have decided not to hire a visa consultant because they are gonna tell and suggest us same documents that i have already shortlisted.. And all of my documents are strong enough..

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
Any questions/queries regarding SOWP and Express Entry? Just start typing!

Hello sir,
Is it mandatory to have my husband a year of work experiance in canada for getting my sowp..?

He is working there in canada since 1 month and I want to apply for sowp.. Please guide me for the same. I am getting different answers from visa consultants..

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018

you can also submit your husband's bank statement and proof of income since he will be sponsoring you. also his passport together with the (as you said) scanned copy of work permit stamp on his passport
Is it mandatory to have my husband a year of experiance in canada for sponsoring me..? I got many different answers from different visa consultants.

He is been there since last month..

Bratua94

Mar 5, 2018
Hello everybody.

My situation is kinda different from what I've been reading on this forum so far so I am in need of help clarifying some important questions bugging me.

So I graduated with a BSc. Economics with a specialization in Financial Accounting from Russia. I got into web development and am self-taught. I built my online portfolio with all my personal projects on there because I don't have any experience in an agency or freelance. Basically a newbie at this. Recently, I just got an offer from a Canadian advertising company in Montreal as a UI and Creative developer. I am in the process of applying for a Temporary Work Permit/Visa (after I get the LMIA and job contract from the employer). Now, I know all the processes involved but my question is this:

1). Seeing that I don't have any work experience, what are my chances of getting the temporary work permit/visa ? I ask this because I will be applying in person and not online and in the document checklist, there was no mention of proving work experience or getting references or referrals. However, in the application form, I do still have to fill in employment experience( which I do not have). How do you suppose I go about this and how does this affect my chances of getting the temporary work visa/permit? Has anyone experienced or knows someone who has experienced something like this before?

2). Secondly, in the document checklist, I do have to submit proof that I am eligible for the job. How do I do this with my current credentials?

Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

yashhooda

Jan 8, 2018
Any questions/queries regarding SOWP and Express Entry? Just start typing!
Hello Gaurav
I have applied for SOWP online.I got request for passport but didn’t received the same for my child. My child medical showing passed but no request further.
We both were already having visitor visa.
Please guide what to do
Thank you in advance.

Dhivyav18

Aug 29, 2017
Hi

I am on a H1B in the USA and my employer would be processing my Work Permit in the Intra Company Transfer to Canada. However my company mentioned they no longer process the OWP for Spouse. They would process only Visitor Visa. my NOC is classified in A category per my Work Permit. What would be your recommendation, once my Spouse Visitor Visa is stamped, then I need to process the SOWP from USA and how would I need to do that and how long is the approx processing time.

Or I need to travel and reach Canada and then process the SOWP what is the processing time for that?

Any inputs based on experience is very much appreciated.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
-------
Hey, Gaurav.

Would love to get your input on these questions; as soon as u can.
Hey Craigy, find your answers below. :)

1. Can I visit Canada after my wife has started her study and use the flag-pole method to obtain a SOWP or do I need to apply for this? If you are concerned about quitting your job, let your wife come to canada and then file for your SOWP from your country. Once approved, you can be sure about your future decisions and how you can make it work.
  2. Would I also need to have secured the job offer before coming to Canada? No, SOWP is an open work permit.
  3. If I am able to secure the SOWP, what happens to us once she has completed her program of study - she intends to apply for the PGWP? Once she completes the course, at the end of it in the last month of comletion, she can file for PGWP and will get it easily and at that time you will also have to get your SOWP renewed. In case you find a job under NOC code O,A or B during her study. You can file for provincial nomination and eventually PR before the completion of her study course.
  4. We have a minor aged child. The thought is that we will both visit my wife and then pursue the SOWP for myself. Clearly we would want to enroll our child in school for the duration. How will this be possible? Ofcourse you can apply your child's study permit with your SOWP mate.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks Gaurav.
As few ppl told me that my spouse should get job in O,A and B and need to show 3 pay slips only then, i can get extension of OWP it seems.
So im bit confused and afraid as currently im having full time job.Can u please clarify? do u know any person applied with similar situation like wife studying and husband on OWP and later he gets extension along with his wife PGWP.

Much Appreciated if you could help in answering this.
Hi, if you are having a job under NOC O,A or B then you can apply for provincial nomination yourself, otherwise your spouse would need to get a job under NOC O,A or B after completion of her study, otherwise the chances of renewal for you will be quiet less to be honest.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi there
I applied SOWP for my husband, who is in India right now on 27th January. CIC started review of eligibilty on 16th Feb and on 27th Feb status has changed. CIC, said, they do not need additional documents. Do anybody know how much time does CIC take for medical request?
it completely varies from file to file. its just that cic does not have adequate man power to process all the files in a timely manner. some gets processed within the normal processing times, other files wait for like 6 months too. It totally depends. if your file is not processed under normal processing times, let me know.