+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hi All,
I am applying SOWP for my Wife & TRV for my 1 year old child. I am in Canada on Employer specific work Permit.
Wanted to know for my child TRV will he be principal applicant for His TRV application form 5257b form?
let me know.

Thanks
I really don't know the exact form you're filling but I'll yes if the application is your child, the person applying is obviously the principal applicant
I would like to agree with @Toks01 but the thing is since your wife and child are applying in a single submission your wife is a primary applicant. But then the other option is "dependent of 18 years of age or older" which is also not the case here for your child. It is confusing. So, for that form your child is the primary applicant. They use generic application forms for all types of applicants.

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Not inland ones, since you can easily demonstrate a reason for coming back such as job or your student status. In fact if you are not from a visa exempt country, then TRV is the only way you can come back after visiting your home country
Ok, cool, makes sense. Thank you very much! :)

Gurveer81006

Dec 12, 2020
Applied for SWOP
Application submitted on 5th oct 2020
Biometrics completed on 28th oct 2020
Waiting for medical request

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
Hey All! Does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for an open work permit for my spouse who’s in another country and listed as a non-accompanying member on my application? I currently have a closed work permit which expires in 22 months.

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hi! I applied for my study permit together with my husband’s SOWP in March 2020. Due to covid we both gave biometrics on November 2020. I got the approval for my study permit 6 days after we gave biometrics (it was still November 2020). To this day, my husband’s SOWP is still being processed. The biometrics show as completed in the online platform. It says he doesn’t need medical exam or interview. I’ve sent webforms to see if they need more documents and they answer that they don’t, that it is still being processed and we have to wait. It’s been almost 11 months since we applied, any advice?

Abdul Naveed

Feb 3, 2021
Hi! I applied for my study permit together with my husband’s SOWP in March 2020. Due to covid we both gave biometrics on November 2020. I got the approval for my study permit 6 days after we gave biometrics (it was still November 2020). To this day, my husband’s SOWP is still being processed. The biometrics show as completed in the online platform. It says he doesn’t need medical exam or interview. I’ve sent webforms to see if they need more documents and they answer that they don’t, that it is still being processed and we have to wait. It’s been almost 11 months since we applied, any advice?
Hi too,

Same here too I too applied my sowp in March n still waiting for the result...

Sharanpreet23

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
Hey, i am currently in canada with open work permit with permanent residence file in process my spouse got his spouse open work permit approved but due to covid restrictions how can he travel as he doesn’t have job letter. please guide. He got his TRV stamped and letter of introduction.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hey, i am currently in canada with open work permit with permanent residence file in process my spouse got his spouse open work permit approved but due to covid restrictions how can he travel as he doesn’t have job letter. please guide. He got his TRV stamped and letter of introduction.
Apart form the other Covid restrictions to overcome, this is what is relevant for your spouse:

to show an immigration officer that you’re coming for a non-discretionary purpose, such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner or family member
  • You’ll be refused an authorization if an officer finds that you’re travelling for an optional or discretionary purpose, such as for tourism, entertainment or recreation.
Prior to that, if you’re travelling from a country other than the US, obtain a written authorization from IRCC to fly to Canada. When requesting this, you have to put "a detailed reason for travel"

Sharanpreet23

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
Apart form the other Covid reasons, this is what is relevant for your spouse:

to show an immigration officer that you’re coming for a non-discretionary purpose, such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner or family member
  • You’ll be refused an authorization if an officer finds that you’re travelling for an optional or discretionary purpose, such as for tourism, entertainment or recreation.
Prior to that, if you’re travelling from a country other than the US, obtain a written authorization from IRCC to fly to Canada. When trequesting this, you have to put "a detailed reason for travel"
but i heard that written authorization can be applied by permanent residence or citizens